Game: Ruin a Band Name with Just One Letter

Apologies. That entry is removed.

But I really don't think it is feasible to check 1500+ posts to verify that something hasn't been used before. And if 1500 is not too much for you, then where is the limit? 3000? 5000? 10,000? Should it really be expected that someone should read for an hour before making a post that takes 10 seconds? Not fun IMHO. In threads like this there are going to be some duplicates. Lighten up og
No apology is necessary, mate - but thanks for same :thumbsup: In terms of 'lightening-up', let me submit the 'light' search version, for your consideration - using your example above:

You chose the word 'scones'. By inserting 'scones' into the search panel [Top RHS of screen]; and then 'ticking' the 'Search this thread only' box / pressing 'search', you will see that 'scones' had been used twice, in this thread [at that time / before your post]. That type of search can be done and dusted in 30 seconds, mate - which keeps the game 'clean' / more skilful - and, generally, as it has been played, for the past 1500 posts.

Btw, how can I be really 'light', when my favourite brew is Draught Guinness? :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Cheers, og

AK-Roger2-02.jpg
AK-R2-Search.jpg
AK-R2-SrchRslts.jpg

1. Start lookin'!

2. In fourteen-odd thousand posts, I have never 'bluffed' - not even once... ;)

Quo Valdis.

Cheers, og

@oldgringo

Don't be boasting that you have never posted a duplicate oldgringo. There are eight instances in this thread where you posted an entry identical to one that had been posted previously.

<post #'s>
orig>og
403>802 Tears for Bears
396>802 Blood Sweat and Fears
421>913 James Drown
985>1079 Wing Crimson
75>1478 (the) Grifters
193>1513 Jethro Pull
1333>1513 Jethro Mull
420>1544 the Polite

In addition, without even really trying I found that "queer" has been posted 4 times, "Dildo" twice, and "Tears for Bears" was posted a third time after you repeated it. These I found by chance and not by methodical search. So I have no doubt that many more could be found without much effort. Why have you not called out all of these other infractions oldgringo?

Two points if I may:
1) This is supposed to be fun. It should be relaxing and stress relieving, not stress inducing. Getting called out as some type of rule violator has eliminated any joy in this for me.

But don't worry about me. Think about all of the other people who may have been run off by this type of fastidiousness and nit-picking. Ironic that the watch-dog/enforcer of this thread, apparently quick with the search tool in the cause of catching infractions made by others, is oblivious to his own. That is a double standard.

Sure, the point is to come up with unique entries each and every time. That is implicitly understood. It should also be implicitly understood that perfection will not happen. In ANY game like this one, if that was defined in the opening post as a hard fast rule, I don't think that participation in these games would be anywhere near what it is. There are different types of players, some more casual and some more serious. If absolute perfection is the standard to which you aspire, then have at it. It is good to have goals. But IMHO you should allow others to play as they wish and not set yourself up as self-appointed policeman for a thread that you did not start.

2) We are all merely human and prone to mistakes. Live and let live. No one's life depends on this. Considered as a whole, in the many game threads similar to this one, I promise you that there are a huge number of duplicate entries. And that you have many duplicates in those other threads too.

Lighten up oldgringo. That heavy Guinness should only be consumed as a full and hearty meal in times when there is no bread and meat in the house. But not for recreation :) (just joking....no offense meant to Guinness drinkers. As I am mostly Irish myself, I 'get it')

Cheers

Last edited:
roger2 / Everybody...
Deed Purple.

Cheers, og

PS: Don't forget to check to see if your 'ruination' has been used before - there is at least one duplication on this page.
I thought that this was a fairly innocuous reminder, at the time - designed to not provoke any 'avalanche' responses, from those that might take it personally.

@oldgringo

Well you aren't "bluffing" when you say not once. Your number is actually 8. I searched this thread and found eight instances where you posted an entry identical to one that had been posted previously. Glass houses...

<post #'s>
orig>og
403>802 Tears for Bears
396>802 Blood Sweat and Fears
421>913 James Drown
985>1079 Wing Crimson
75>1478 (the) Grifters
193>1513 Jethro Pull
1333>1513 Jethro Mull
420>1544 the Polite

In addition, without even really trying I found that "queer" has been posted 4 times, "Dildo" twice, and "Tears for Bears" was posted a third time after you repeated it. These I found by chance and not by methodical search. So I have no doubt that many more could be found without much effort. And countless times, more than one letter has been changed or added, even after Rich clarified the rules somewhere fairly early on. Why have you not called out all of these other infractions?

Two points if I may:
1) This is supposed to be fun. It should be relaxing and stress relieving, not stress inducing. Getting called out as some type of rule violator has eliminated any joy in this for me.

But don't worry about me. Think about all of the other people who may have been run off by this type of fastidiousness and nit-picking. Ironic that the watch-dog/enforcer of this thread, apparently quick with the search tool in the cause of catching infractions made by others, is able to sail along unchallenged with 8 of his own.

Sure, the point is to come up with unique entries each and every time. That is implicitly understood. It should also be implicitly understood that perfection will not happen. In ANY game like this one, if that was defined in the opening post as a hard fast rule, I don't think that participation in these games would be anywhere near what it is. There are different types of players, some more casual and some more serious. If absolute perfection is the standard to which you aspire, then have at it. It is good to have goals. But IMHO you should allow others to play as they wish and not set yourself up as self-appointed policeman for a thread that you did not start.

2) We are all merely human and prone to mistakes. Live and let live. No one's life depends on this. Considered as a whole, in the many game threads similar to this one, I promise you that there are a huge number of duplicate entries. And that you have many duplicates in those other threads too.

Lighten up oldgringo. That heavy Guinness should only be consumed as a full and hearty meal in times when there is no bread and meat in the house. But not for recreation :) (just joking....no offense meant to Guinness drinkers. As I am mostly Irish myself, I 'get it')

Cheers

1. Roger2, you refer to several 'bluffs' from me above - these are 'duplicate errors', not bluffs [my message to noogies (which you quoted) was to indicate that I was not bluffing in an earlier post!]. As far as errors are concerned, I've never claimed to be perfect; and I'm sure that dozens of errors have cropped up in my 10k+ 'Game post' total - but I am fastidious; and attempted 'pissing-contests' have never made / will never make a difference. Some of us raise our hands on quality from time-to-time [it is rarely, if ever, done to be vindictive] - long may this continue.

2. You made the decision to identify yourself and apologize 'for the error', not me.

If the OP of any particular thread has an issue with the above approach, I am yet to hear of it - and I would respond, in the affirmative, if I ever receive same.

Cheers, og / Dave.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom