Garrand rc88/4 help.

warriorfan

Been busy and I have had no time to listen to tunes or do much anything but work and baseball. Had some time the other day to listen to my rc88/4 and found I have some what I would describe as a thumping sound. I cleaned the contacts on the headshell as I had that problem once before. No dice this time and I have a deeper issue. I am going to pull it out of the cabinet and before I dig in I was hoping someone might have some ideas as to what it is going on. This untit has never wanted to cycle in auto mide but worked if I had it in manual and moved the tone arm myself. In doing this you have to wait a few seconds for the platter to spin and the tonearm to have no pressure on it. I assume the idlet wheel is the issue and maybe needing a good fresh lube where needed. Gonna get this out and get some pictures here directly. Any advice or what to look for is greatly appreciated! Scored about 15 lp's today. The Who the kids are alright and some Sabbath we sold our souls are just screaming for a play! Thx fellas! Ryan

Found the problem! Flat spot on the idler wheel. Last time we listened I came in and hit the power button on the sansui as the platter was spinning. I left the idler engaged by doing this and created this flat spot. I will try putting some hot water to it and see if I can work the flat spot out. Here's to some luck!

If you want to fox the flat spot, remove the platter, engage the idler and the capstan. This will cause the idler wheel to spin. While the idler is spinning, hold a piece of medium grit sandpaper, maybe 100 grit, against the idler tire applying gentle pressure. This will remove the flat spot by reducing the diameter of the idler wheel which, since the wheel is neither a drive nor a driven component, will have no effect on the speed (unless you reduce the diameter to a point where slippage will occur). Sanding the idler tire will also have the effect of deglazing the rubber which will eliminate one cause of slippage.

thx boreas! Heat did nuthing and I would venture to say by the angle of the flat spot on the idler wheel the wheel spun against the drive pulley and fried it. I improved the sound a bit, but it is still not suitable for my ears. Time for a new turntable. Man I scored some sweet vinyl today. My luck. Ha!

You can get idler wheels rebuilt for about 30 bucks. Thevoiceofmusic and Terry's Rubber Rollers both offer it.

Nah, the flat spot is from the same spot on the idler being pressed against the drive capstan for months without the turntable being used. Happens all the time. Some idler drive turntables have a "neutral" position on the speed selector that moves the idler wheel away from the capstan for just this reason.
And there's no need to pitch the whole table in the trash. Just get a new idler wheel here.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/phono_wheels_turrets.asp

If you're not sure which one you need, email Gary and he'll guide you.

Or just keep sanding.

Thx again fellas! I had it working the first time after sanding the idler wheel and had the thump although lighter. Next time I tried it the tone arm skated acoss my allman bros album. Its now got more issues than I care to address. I'd pay a tech but I'd get a good ****in in a not so good way. About done with this shit and trusting schmucks.

Look for this in bartertown if someone needs parts. Day 2 of me being able to listen to some tunes and can't. It's technics time!

Back
Top Bottom