Garrard Laboratory Series Auto Turntable Type A

DJdude

Hello out there~
Well, we just recently finished fixing an amazing Mid-Century stereo console but happened upon another one this past weekend that may just one up the one we have currently.

The console houses The Fisher FM-50 and The Fisher X-100 with two Jensen Tri-10 speakers and a Garrard Laboratory Series Auto Turntable Type A. It sounds fantastic but the turntable has a broken belt. Is this going to be an easy replacement? Are there replacement belts still available?

Also, can someone tell us what the white mechanism is in the upper left corner of the turntable?

Thank you, Thank you~

Attachments

• Console.JPG
    Console.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Garrad Player Speeds.JPG
    Garrad Player Speeds.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Garrard Player Arm.JPG
    Garrard Player Arm.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Garrard Player.JPG
    Garrard Player.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Garrard Unknown.JPG
    Garrard Unknown.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 109
Hello out there~
Well, we just recently finished fixing an amazing Mid-Century stereo console but happened upon another one this past weekend that may just one up the one we have currently.

The console houses The Fisher FM-50 and The Fisher X-100 with two Jensen Tri-10 speakers and a Garrard Laboratory Series Auto Turntable Type A. It sounds fantastic but the turntable has a broken belt. Is this going to be an easy replacement? Are there replacement belts still available?

Also, can someone tell us what the white mechanism is in the upper left corner of the turntable?

Thank you, Thank you~
Congratulations on your Fisher console find.

... It sounds fantastic but the turntable has a broken belt. Is this going to be an easy replacement? Are there replacement belts still available?
The Garrard Type A does not use a belt. It uses an idler wheel. There are a couple of people that can rebuild the idler wheel.

That is the record stabilizer, used to hold the stack of records in place. If you check Youtube, you should be able to find videos that show the operation of a Garrard Type A. You have a great setup. Good listening. :music:

Last edited:
Congratulations on your Fisher console find.

The Garrard Type A does not use a belt. It uses an idler wheel. There are a couple of people that can rebuilt the idler wheel.

That is the record stabilizer, used to hold the stack of records in place. If you check Youtube, you should be able to find videos that show the operation of a Garrard Type A. You have a great setup. Good listening. :music:[/Q

That youtube is great! Explains everything. We wondered why the center needle was slightly bent. The person that sold it to us was the one that said the belt needed to be replaced....Is the Idler wheel easy to remove and ship? I guess I could look for a youtube on how to remove the idler wheel???
Do you have a contact for doing the rebuilding?
You have been incredibly helpful already, thank you~

... The person that sold it to us was the one that said the belt needed to be replaced....Is the Idler wheel easy to remove and ship?
Yes, the idler wheel is easy to remove and ship.

Do you have a contact for doing the rebuilding?
Terry's Rubber Rollers and The Voice Of Music both rebuild idler wheels. I have used neither service. So far I have been lucky enough to be able to clean and reuse the idler wheels that came with my Garrard record players.

Yes, the idler wheel is easy to remove and ship.

Terry's Rubber Rollers and The Voice Of Music both rebuild idler wheels. I have used neither service. So far I have been lucky enough to be able to clean and reuse the idler wheels that came with my Garrard record players.

Could it also be called the intermediate wheel? That's the only wheel I can find on the diagram.

Different name, same animal. If you remove the platter, its the only thing under there that looks like a rubber tire.

Pull the mat and the outer platter. Once thats off, remove the silver Garrard trim thing in the middle, and pull C clip holding down the inner platter. Put a plastic prybar or other similar type thing under the edge of the steel platter, apply light pressure, and whack the center of the platter with the handle of a screwdriver. It should pop right off.

Pull the mat and the outer platter. Once thats off, remove the silver Garrard trim thing in the middle, and pull C clip holding down the inner platter. Put a plastic prybar or other similar type thing under the edge of the steel platter, apply light pressure, and whack the center of the platter with the handle of a screwdriver. It should pop right off.
We will give this a try tonight. Thank you~

This is a 1962 era Garrard idler drive changer. The most refined, latest version of the classic Pusher Platform record changer beginning with the RC 80 3 speed. You have the better tonearm which can track reliably at 3 grams. A Shure M 44-7 is a good cartridge candidate for the arm with current genuine stylus support and good Jico stylus options as well. The quintessential Garrard changer, a classic in the day and in that time frame used by many owners.

Okay, I did as you said but the "silver Garrard trim in the middle" does not really want to detach. Should I use some force? I have attached pictures of the middle minus the mat.Center 1.jpg Center.jpg Center.jpg

Small screwdriver in the slots around the trim piece should pop it out. Not under the shoulder part, you want inside of it. Be careful with it, its a thin aluminum plate and it will bend easily if you force it too much. Center.jpg

Small screwdriver in the slots around the trim piece should pop it out. Not under the shoulder part, you want inside of it. Be careful with it, its a thin aluminum plate and it will bend easily if you force it too much. View attachment 1166822

Ohhhh, I was trying to get under it, not inside....this diagram is great, thanks....I'll try again tonight.

Pull the spindle out too, it'll just be in your way. You also need to remove the outer platter for the same reason. The foam that has turned to dust under there will also want to be replaced. Use any thin padding material you have handy. I used something that came as packing material.

Pull the spindle out too, it'll just be in your way. You also need to remove the outer platter for the same reason. The foam that has turned to dust under there will also want to be replaced. Use any thin padding material you have handy. I used something that came as packing material.

You are full of great information.....thank you!

Back
Top Bottom