Garrard RC-88 back in service

Mozark

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Finished the refurb of the RC-88 that I'd picked up recently to service my 78's. Many thanks to the Audiokarma community for all the information tucked away in here that pointed me towards this great period TT. I do a fair amount of restoration of various sorts professionally, but seldom get to do a little something for myself.

rc88obl.jpg
The mechanical restoration was pretty straight forward. New power cord and RCA cable. Slight modification to the motor mount bushings to accommodate generic mounts from Gary at VoM. Some finicky disassembly in order to access two shafts for removal of coagulated grease and new lubrication. Also changed a few springs that seemed too stiff for smooth operation of the changer. New mat from VoM as well. Turned a single play spindle for manual operation.
rc88mech.jpg
For a plinth I wanted a period feel and a pleasant color compliment to the dark chocolate of the changer. This is reclaimed chestnut (only slightly wormy) with a burnished linseed oil finish. I eliminated the spring suspension and went to medium density rubber blocks.
rc88dinah.jpg
Spinning Dinah Washington for a test drive in my shop office. Came with a GE RPX triple-play cartridge in the headshell. I have it set up with a 2.5 mil diamond and a 3 mil sapphire. Sounds great.

Nice. What VTF are you tracking at?

I ask, because I have a new-old stock GE VR II (one of the red broadcast models) with 1 mil stylus installed into my spare headshell for the Garrard Type A downstairs, but I've read so many admonitory posts warning of not subjecting such an anachronism to any records I care about, no post-1960 LPs, etc, that I'm too spooked to try it out...

Nice. What VTF are you tracking at?

Tracking at 6.5 to 7 grams. Any less and it skips occasionally. I'm playing 78's exclusively on this. Using 2.5 mil and 3 mil styli. I'm staying away from .7 and 1 mil for lp's, for now at least. Enough conflicting information that I am also leery. Although I'd like to play my 50's to early 60's mono when I become comfortable with the machine.

Those early Garrards were very stylish! I've been looking at some of those late 50s GE carts.

It's a really interesting mechanism. A lot of fun to work on, with the added benefit of providing a very able platform for playing 78's. Not quite sure I have the plinth right yet. I may discard the legs and come up with a more modern base under the chestnut top. The RPX acquits itself quite well and certainly carries some well earned gravitas. Stylus availability, and quality, is it's Achilles Heel now, I think.

Looks good. i like the plinth. Mine runs the original Garrard wood box, which is not at all special. It does make a nice 78 machine though. Mine has a 1 mil diamond and a 3 mil diamond in it's RPX.

Looks good. i like the plinth. Mine runs the original Garrard wood box, which is not at all special. It does make a nice 78 machine though. Mine has a 1 mil diamond and a 3 mil diamond in it's RPX.

Grazie. I hadn't heard most of the 78's I have, so this has been rewarding. Do you play mono LPs with the 1 mil? if so at what tracking force?

Do you play mono LPs with the 1 mil?
I honestly don't own any so I can't answer that. I picked it up when I was putting the machine back in service just so I had two known new stylii.

Thinking about it, I may actually have an 0.7 mil in there, at this point I can't recall. I don't believe its been used for more than one album side just to test run it though.

Someone gave me a bunch of 78's, so I figured it made sense to get the machine working properly. I bought some of my own after that, some of which are keepers but many are lousy. I bought that particular box for the Spike Jones.

Back
Top Bottom