Gas Mileage and Ratings

The window sticker for my 86 Towncar claims 27 mpg on the highway. Maybe if you hooked it to a truck and towed it downhill you'd get that. 18 is what I usually get. Of course thats ~70 mph with what amounts to a brick-shaped couch on wheels that was built in an era with a 55 mph national speed limit that also burned real honest to goodness gasoline.
My Oldsmobile was like that, but my transmission was a little slippy and I didn't realize it for five years. I went from 15 mpg to 21 after the rebuild, and thats going 70-80mph with the air on on a 96 degree day.

How could I forget fuel formulations? I bet that does make a difference.
I've heard that about the summer formulations, getting a few extra MPGs is common. Also, unless you monitor it and adjust it relentlessly, your tire pressure in warmer weather may be higher than in colder weather. This also assumes that you are running the same mix of fuel vs. alcohol--higher alcohol content results in lower mileage. (I notice some fuel pump stickers saying the fuel could have up to 10% ethanol...meaning it could be anything, and I would bet it varies with each batch that arrives at the gas station.)

I am tempted to try 100% gasoline when I leave on my first road trip at the end of July--it is plentiful on my side of town since the boaters use it, and we have a Valero station at Metro Pkwy @ Jefferson that sells it at one of the pumps.

Just purchased a new Ford F-150 2wd with the 3.3L V-6 NA engine. First tank (433 mi.) of about 35% city ( 3.5 mile low speed trips) and the rest 70-80 MPH interstate netted 21.7 mpg. That is just a touch below the 22 mpg estimate. This is as good as my 4 cyl 2008 Tacoma did most of the time.

First tank (433 mi.) of about 35% city ( 3.5 mile low speed trips) and the rest 70-80 MPH interstate netted 21.7 mpg. That is just a touch below the 22 mpg estimate.
Certainly not enough to worry about! Once everything breaks in, mileage should improve. And that gasoline blend also makes a difference between tankfuls.

Bizarre...every Honda I've owned has gotten better gas mileage once it got over 100,000 miles. My '97 CR-V was rated as 22 city/25 highway, but on a drive to Columbus OH it got nearly 30 MPG. On a marathon drive from here to Bangor Maine, swinging through Boston (yes, I did it all in one day), I was averaging 26-27MPG and probably had 240-250k miles on it at the time.

Certainly not enough to worry about! Once everything breaks in, mileage should improve. And that gasoline blend also makes a difference between tankfuls.

Bizarre...every Honda I've owned has gotten better gas mileage once it got over 100,000 miles. My '97 CR-V was rated as 22 city/25 highway, but on a drive to Columbus OH it got nearly 30 MPG. On a marathon drive from here to Bangor Maine, swinging through Boston (yes, I did it all in one day), I was averaging 26-27MPG and probably had 240-250k miles on it at the time.

Not worried at all, very happy with 21.7 mpg with 500 miles on the dial and 290 hp. I'm effin' ecstatic :banana:

Last edited:
You won't get 40 mpg going 70. I guarantee it. You will get it at 55 though. I had a '09 Civic. Got 45. 3 Accords. Get 35 highway on the'06. Nearly 45 on the 2014 with no lights. They are gas misers.Our 2000 Accord is quite stingy too.

I drive a prius and get better than the stated mpg. I inflate the tires two pounds over what is listed and found certain brands of gas (I use BP) give me better mpg. Weather is a a big factor as well as using the ac.

Back
Top Bottom