Gear rack/stands

I bought a Sansui GX-5 RIAA standard width rack back in the 70s and I am still using it today.

Simple, open, functional.

1%20ridotta.preview.jpg

and here i thought i was the only Lack-hacker around. I went with the black-brown, and used a couple of the large tv-stands for the base. i have a lot of gear on this rack, and more is coming. unlike the other's i've seen, i made a jig to attach a cleat to the surface of each shelf to secure the leg of the shelf above. it took a bit of work, but make the assembly really easy. really though, i need a full wood shop to do a serious job.

View attachment 980669
Very Impressive....Those Lack tables are a great solution and easy to customise, Nice job:thumbsup:

and here i thought i was the only Lack-hacker around. I went with the black-brown, and used a couple of the large tv-stands for the base. i have a lot of gear on this rack, and more is coming. unlike the other's i've seen, i made a jig to attach a cleat to the surface of each shelf to secure the leg of the shelf above. it took a bit of work, but make the assembly really easy. really though, i need a full wood shop to do a serious job.

View attachment 980669

Very Impressive....Those Lack tables are a great solution and easy to customise, Nice job:thumbsup:

Very Nice Indeed. :thumbsup:

@woofmytweets : Very Cool, Thanks for Sharing.

,Mike. :smoke:

Very Nice Indeed. :thumbsup:

@woofmytweets : Very Cool, Thanks for Sharing.

,Mike. :smoke:
thanks guys ...just got some new gear in, which is why i've been customizing the ol' setup. almost through it, but not quite, and then there's a cable management job, nay career, to do....then more pics
you forgot that they're also dirt cheap!

^^^ I'll have to look there again when I'm back at my pc, but it doesn't look like they have the cap nuts for 1" thread in the black finish. And even so, the regular 1" black oxide nuts are over $12 each, and I'd want six of them plus the cap nuts.

I'm just being cheap and would rather use the stuff I already have. I didn't plan on the rack turning out the way it did, otherwise I would've done like you suggested and bought black nuts to begin with. I guess I could just paint them but I didn't think it'd hold up well.

Oh, and the PVC wood thing wasn't my idea, I just found it on Google. But it still turned out nice, and it's really simple to do.

1"-8 grade 2 black oxide. $2.95 each. You don't need high grade nuts for this application.

I helped him my cousin's husband pick out a new Yamaha S-600 receiver. He then added a Marantz CD5005 player and he already had a Thorens TD-160. Necessity being the mother of invention and him being a retired mechanical engineer he built a nice rack to put it in.
BCCC1592-818C-4366-A251-9E2B44903AC9.jpeg

3C1F553D-9681-4A43-9129-BDF7D6741F2C.jpeg

B13266A4-F59E-4E80-B7E3-7AFA87A8ED51.jpeg

Attachments

• CC907F85-D5D7-43CB-B19C-BDB7FDEE8334.jpeg
    CC907F85-D5D7-43CB-B19C-BDB7FDEE8334.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 8
I helped him my cousin's husband pick out a new Yamaha S-600 receiver. He then added a Marantz CD5005 player and he already had a Thorens TD-160. Necessity being the mother of invention and him being a retired mechanical engineer he built a nice rack to put it in.

Very steampunkt! Does the meter actually do anything? And please tell me that industrial knife switch is your mains power!

No the range is so high it would literally take a deadly amperage just to move it, the left side old brass push button wall switch and lamp are the power strip switch and indicator. The tv is on an electric screw actuator system. They built there home in the 80s themselves and is a faithfully built Victorian. He is not really a steam punk, just has a passion for older mechanical things, like twenties Rolls Royces. He gave me an Empire 586 turntable from when he was in college, he has a good heart.

Nicely done there Schmidlapper! "put a little fizz in yer Nehi indeed" there DrumminDaddy!! I agree with that sentiment. That is a super nice stand.

@Schmidlapper : Kind of Got the Dr. Frankenstein thing going on with the Power Supply Disconnect........:idea:

I Love it......I Bet You Only Bump into it Once. :p

Thanks for Sharing, Mike. :smoke:

View attachment 980669

Love what you did there with the LACKs.

Do you happen to have pics of the "jig" used and how you solidly stack each LACK layer together? These are a great bang/buck solution, but have been wondering how to tie each lower layer solidly to the one above it.

Thanks!

IMGP7968.JPG

Found these in thrift stores, not sure of the manufacturer, similar to Gusdorf.
I had LP's in the bottom half of the one on the right, but then this Tandberg reel-to-reel came along.
I continue to see similar racks in thrift stores at very reasonable prices.
Saw one yesterday that is really interesting; black perforated sheet metal sides, Heavy metal channel frame, casters, rack handles at the top, approximately 1 inch thick wood shelves. Stands about 45 inches high. It would look great with Sansui separates. I'll get a photo of it if it's still there on my next visit.

...on page 12 are the first 2 "racks" my buddy Gary built for me.

Here is the third - for my dedicated listening room.
1/4 sawn white oak ....Mission furniture design to my specs
I am fortunate to have such a great friend with gobs of talent....and self taught none-the-less

If you like click on pic for larger image....

...on page 12 are the first 2 "racks" my buddy Gary built for me.

Here is the third - for my dedicated listening room.
1/4 sawn white oak ....Mission furniture design to my specs
I am fortunate to have such a great friend with gobs of talent....and self taught none-the-less
Yes, you are fortunate. That's beautiful work.

I'm fortunate to have a brother-in-law who is a talented cabinet maker, who made time in his busy schedule to build this walnut sideboard for me:

Attachments

• WalnutSideboardConstructionview4.jpg
    WalnutSideboardConstructionview4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 245
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 247
Yes, you are fortunate. That's beautiful work.

I'm fortunate to have a brother-in-law who is a talented cabinet maker, who made time in his busy schedule to build this walnut sideboard for me:

Look at that finish in the second pic....NICE!!!!
Yea it's a gift to have people in your life who can offer skills that you (or in this case I) don't possess!

Lovely system by the way!!

Back
Top Bottom