Gearing up for recaping, question about testing drivers

Flyingbase

Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to do a recap on two sets of speakers, my klh 17s and Pioneer CS99As. I have done quite a bit of checking on the internet regarding this and I think I have a pretty good handle on it. However, I would like to test all of the drivers to make sure they are all working as it is rather difficult to tell if all the drivers in the pioneer are functioning due to their close quarters arrangement. I have seen some people wiring a capacitor or a resistor in line with each driver and connecting it directly to an audio source at low volume to test. The resistor or capacitor in question seems to vary greatly in value. Can anyone offer some advice on how to test all the drivers with out risking damage too them?

If you are just wanting to test whether they are playing, there are simple ways to do that. The simplest is a momentary charge from a 1.5V battery on the driver's terminals.. You should hear a click and mids and woofers will visibly move. If you have a multimeter - and you should, even if it's a $20 Harbor Freight one - you can just check DC resistance. Another method is to play music and use a paper towel tube against your ear to isolate each driver.

Back
Top Bottom