general A800GA amplifier ? mystery...

youngold

real people live forever
hey again, picked up this very heavy little amp today and can not find any information on it, i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on its origins, THE GENERAL CORPORATION JAPAN, looks to be well constructed and have only partially tested it but seems a good amp, just cant get any info!....so does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• audiokarma1 012.jpg
    audiokarma1 012.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 61
  • audiokarma1 011.jpg
    audiokarma1 011.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 59
  • audiokarma1 013.jpg
    audiokarma1 013.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 58
cant believe there has been like 700 views of this thread and no one knows anything about it? made in Japan general amplifier? who are they?

Not a clue. It looks to be early '80s, from the aesthetic design. Discrete output transistors and a big mains transformer; those are both good signs. With one pair of output devices per channel it's probably about 65W per channel.

Not a clue. It looks to be early '80s, from the aesthetic design. Discrete output transistors and a big mains transformer; those are both good signs. With one pair of output devices per channel it's probably about 65W per channel.

yeah its not a bad little amp, i am just curious as to why i cant find any information at all on the maker!

General Corporation of Japan...A1000GA etc

Hi there,

Intriguing amp. I picked up a General A1000GA, T1000GA and C1000GA in mint condition from a yard sale.

All the components are beautifully cradted, with the tuner being a digfital quartz. The amp is unusual in that it features a toroidal power supply from what I can gather. Powerful detailed sound.

From the little I have found on the web, it looks like the General Corporation of Japan was taken over by Fujitsu years ago - hence Fujitsu General.....

I'll throw some pics of the amp especially as it is interesting. What I can't figure out is who really manufactured it........

Looks like a "healthy" build for a fairly low/mid powered integrated. I cannot make out the printing on the picture of the back plate, but is this a multi-voltage unit, or even a 100V Japan market only unit?

Something about it looks way too familiar, but I can't put my finger on it right now--perhaps it was sold in the US market as a re-badged piece--kind of like most NEC gear. I agree with the assessment of the 80's "vibe" of the design.

Hope this helps, seems like you have been waiting along time for this answer.. The general A800 was produced by the general corporation of Japan.. General became Fujitsu General and now known as Fujitsu.. I used to work for a service agent here in Australia.. They are an exceptional quality hifi amplifier. They rarely needed any repairs.. General were know for making some of the most reliable Japanese made electronics during the late 70s, 80s and into the 90s

Back
Top Bottom