General Info on TEAC X-1000R RTR

Hello Audiokarma, hi professionals !
Help me please.
My X-1000R don't like to record. When i pushed switch REC MODE, the red light on RECORD knob is not blinking. All contacts and wires are checked. Where is the problem ?

Last edited:
Hi all.
I have a problem with a x1000r that I got off of ebay. They said it did not work and the guy did not lie. So I bought the thing in hopes that it was just a belt. So I opened it up today and the belt is fine. The lights come on and when you lift the tension arms and push play the capstans come up and lock in place but nothing turns. The capstans do not turn and the hubs do not turn. The brakes do release for the hubs. Any help please.
I have posted this under teac x1000r but not getting much on that so I thought that I would try it this way

Great thread. Just completed a belt replacement on a X-1000R. Powered it up and all works great, except for rewind. When I push the "rewind" button, it seems to want to rewind - if I put a very slight amount of downward pressure on the left tape tensioner, the rewind motor engages. Seems like an adjustment - it is not something obvious. TNX for any advice.

OK... I see. There are tension pots for take up and supply motors. If someone could post the proper tension (I have the gauges) and which pots, that would be great.

GY

Last edited:
Have you downloaded the SM?

The service manual is available for download on hifiengine. I don't have mine available right now but IIRC it contained the info I think you're looking for.

EDIT: I had some spare time so I downloaded another copy to my PC. Page 5 looks like it has the tape tension adjustments you're looking for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. McAfee says that site is unsafe.

I can't speak to that as I use different software for malware and virus detection. I know I've downloaded several manuals from there with no problems. Lots of other AK members use HiFiEngine for manuals but I haven't read any threads about virus issues with the site.

Of course, you should only visit sites that YOU feel are safe.

Best of luck with the adjustments!

I can't speak to that as I use different software for malware and virus detection. I know I've downloaded several manuals from there with no problems. Lots of other AK members use HiFiEngine for manuals but I haven't read any threads about virus issues with the site.

Of course, you should only visit sites that YOU feel are safe.

Best of luck with the adjustments!

I downloaded the file just fine. Better safe than sorry. Thanks.

... Better safe than sorry. Thanks.

Absolutely!!! I work in computers and I'm VERY conscious of security and viruses. Just ask anyone who has to connect to my wireless network at home...

"Whaddya mean I have to enter a string of 20 random characters? Why can't you just use the default password like everybody else??" :nono:

I have new pinch rollers on the way for my recently acquired Teac X-1000R.

I just replaced the belt, thanks to Vintage TX and everybody else who contributed to this thread.

I'd like to get everything adjusted to spec as much as possible. Should I check and adjust the tension settings? It looks like those can be done with a minimum of expensive, unique tools.

If you think I should, any suggestions on tool sources and tips is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rolf, I have a new belt and pinch rollers X1000R. My only problem is fast forwarding is slow going in the normal direction (to the Right side). If i put tension on the right side the speed pick up to fast. Reverse fast forward is fine. Any ideas guys???

Not sure about the X-1000R, but my X-2000R has an adjustment for FF/RW speed, I would not fool with that though unless you have the SM...my adjustment pots are on the left side facing the deck on the power PCB

amsoilman:

"Rolf, I have a new belt and pinch rollers X1000R. My only problem is fast forwarding is slow going in the normal direction (to the Right side). If i put tension on the right side the speed pick up to fast. Reverse fast forward is fine. Any ideas guys???"

Just out of curiosity, were did you get the "belt band" from that you installed or whomever installed it ?

The X-1000 is very, very pickey as to what size belt band is installed on it.
If by chance if it was a generic band then it very well could be that's your problem? It needs the right size, type belt band and installed the correct way inorder to get the correct performance out of the X-1000R. Usually the belt direct from Teac Corp. works best but there are a select few places that could work just as well but stay away from purchasing from Ebay?

Double check the belt band installed just to make sure. If installed correctly then obviously the problem lies some place else. Also by chance was the 'capstan motor' removed just by itself when the belt band was replaced?
If so was it put back in the correct way? With the extra washer on the correct post out of the three that it has? If not then this would also have an effect on the X-1000R's performance, double check that as well?

Also you mentioned pinch rollers? Are they the right ones? Where they installed correctly as well, with washers? Something to also consider.

As someone has already mentioned, download a copy of the Service Manual and go over the "Mechanical Adjustments and Checks" section and follow that? One can be downloaded from HiFi Engine.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Rolf, I have a new belt and pinch rollers X1000R. My only problem is fast forwarding is slow going in the normal direction (to the Right side). If i put tension on the right side the speed pick up to fast. Reverse fast forward is fine. Any ideas guys???

What size reels do you have mounted when fforward, 7 or 10 inch ?
Did you put a drop of oil on L + R tension-roller shafts ?

Just out of curiosity, were did you get the "belt band" from that you installed or whomever installed it ?

The X-1000 is very, very pickey as to what size belt band is installed on it.
If by chance if it was a generic band then it very well could be that's your problem? It needs the right size, type belt band and installed the correct way inorder to get the correct performance out of the X-1000R. Usually the belt direct from Teac Corp. works best but there are a select few places that could work just as well but stay away from purchasing from Ebay?

Double check the belt band installed just to make sure. If installed correctly then obviously the problem lies some place else. Also by chance was the 'capstan motor' removed just by itself when the belt band was replaced?
If so was it put back in the correct way? With the extra washer on the correct post out of the three that it has? If not then this would also have an effect on the X-1000R's performance, double check that as well?

Also you mentioned pinch rollers? Are they the right ones? Where they installed correctly as well, with washers? Something to also consider.

As someone has already mentioned, download a copy of the Service Manual and go over the "Mechanical Adjustments and Checks" section and follow that? One can be downloaded from HiFi Engine.

Good Luck!

Drive-belt or pinch-rollers has nothing to do with fforward or rewind function, this model has 3 motors.

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a Teac belt and pinch rollers. Removed the motor assembly per Rolf's instructions. Pinch rollers have a drop of oil and 2 washers. I have 10" reels mounted, selector for fast & large reels.

I was advised to get the service manual and Perform adjustments 2-8 and 2-9. Be aware that some of the five adjustment pots may need cleaning first.

Will update as I go, thanks.

That's good you installed a teac belt and pinch-rollers.
How about the two tension-rollers, did you take them off and clean the shaft + oil ?
Be sure the roller-surfacae where the tape run is competly clean.
Crud in the inner or outer corners can create slow fforward and rewind.
Double check everything before starting adjusting the tape tension.

I picked up a Teac x-20r very cheap 20$,had all the problems listed. I followed the post step by step , replaced new belt ,got the pinch rollers to free up,cleaned heads. now the thing sounds great. thanks so much for this post.

You rock!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

Today I picked up an X-1000R that has the has the forward motor out according to the previous owner. I am so glad this is here and I found it! I was on Vintageknob looking at the specs of this unit and saw the link to this thread. :)

Before you mount the assembly plate back on, clean the old grease off each fly-wheel center shaft, and put a small amount of Lube-Gel on the steel-ball.
TeacX1000RBeltchange024.jpg

Attach the plastic connector back on the capstan-motor and slide the whole assemby-plate back in the same way it came out. Be careful so now wires are between and in the fly-wheels.
You need a long screw-driver or hook to lift up the drive-belt on to the pulley at the same time you guiding the plate back.
Also be sure the Timer function plate goes in the slot on top of the assembly plate.
This can be little tricky but have patience:

See here:
TeacX1000RBeltchange040.jpg

Attach the lower center screw on the plate first, but don't tighten it until all the other 5 is attached.
When it's all back in place, spin one fly-wheel both directions with your finger so the belt guide itself, and you can check how the belt changes position on both fly-wheels.

Attach new tie-straps on the right side + check so no wires are close to the fly-wheels.

Check the timer buttons on the front so they function properly.

Mount the pinch-rollers back on and put one small drop of gun-oil on each shaft, be sure you have those small black washers on each side of the pinch-roller.
TeacX1000RBeltchange033.jpg

Washer:
TeacX1000RBeltchange034.jpg

Covers back on the pinch-rollers, and check the movement up and down, should be smooth on both L + R. :yes:
TeacX1000RBeltchange035.jpg

Time to test with tape and power on:
TeacX1000RBeltchange.jpg

Press Play in both directions and check the belt from the back and see how it behave.
Try this several times before you assembly the plastic cabinet and wood-cabinet.

Good Luck Eric. :thmbsp:
I hope it goes well with the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom