General Info on TEAC X-1000R RTR

Hi everyone!I hope one of you can help me out.My Teac X-1000r works great except for one thing.The sound seems to drop out after a few seconds.Once the tape has been playing well into the reel it plays fine.

Hi everyone!I hope one of you can help me out.My Teac X-1000r works great except for one thing.The sound seems to drop out after a few seconds.Once the tape has been playing well into the reel it plays fine.

You`re dealing with a piece of equipment that is now over 30 years old. At the very least, it needs a thorough cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment.

Are the pinch rollers clean and in good shape? Does the tape suffer from sss?

You might get more information and help over at tapeheads.net.

Glenn

You are looking at a tape tension issue, which is totally unrelated to SSS.

The dual capstan tape transport is very sensitive to: Incorrect or stretched capstan drive belt, incorrect tension of take up drive motor, cleanliness and condition of pinch rollers, and alignment of pinch roller shaft to capstan motor shaft.

As suggested, start with making sure entire tape path is clean, and that the pinch rollers move up and down freely. A good test for this is to put unit into play, then hit stop. Pinch rollers should drop down immediately-there should be no hesitation or delay. A ton of information is detailed in the posts of this thread, especially near the beginning. If you are uncomfortable with trying the steps, you will need to seek out competent support. Vintage Tx is very capable, for instance.

Hope you get it working properly-it's a very nice deck, and a looker too.

Paul

Reel to Reels seem to be showing up here lately. The latest is a very large TEAC X-1000R. This bad boy is big. Ten and half inch reel to reels. Our appliance installer found it today free. Glad he wants to keep her. I have too much stuff and with rents getting out of hand here in SE New York I have to look at different quarters. Will keep a 6010 Vintage si sending me and a 1230. I get to play with the 1000. Going to be tough going down to one system from three :tears:

Anyone familiar with these beasts? Have not opened her up yet. Are these direct drive on the reel motors with a belt on the center motor? Seems that way. Goes into FF and RR. The casptans dont engage but that could be the usual TEAC problem. There are two tape guides that appear to be missing screws that hold them on. One is to the left of where the tape goes into the heads and the other is where the tape exits. Looks like a belt is out on the center motor. Will see when I get inside. Another issue seems to be the button for record is flashing when it on. Any clues will be appreciated Before pics posted. Any idea what size screw I need to hold the guide on.

Thanks Eric :music:
Hi, i know that the forum about it is about 10 years old, but i have a quick question, i just found the same machine in nice conditions even with the cover. But its about 100miles from me. You think will be worth it the trip? Thanks

Can't quote values here-Dollars and Sense forum for that.

That being said-generally, this is a desirable machine, and if the price is reasonable, then go for it. Cover is worth almost the same as a beat up parts unit. Check out auction sites and CL, for a sense of value.

Ok, help would be greatly appreciated, lol. I recently acquired a teac x-1000r, took her home, and opened her up to find the belt was gooo. After installing a new belt I took apart the capstan motor and found out it was fried from the previous owners attempts to use it after sitting on a shelf for years with a belt that was no longer present. After acquiring a new capstan board and motor I installed it and the unit fired up and I played and recorded all last Saturday with no issues. Sunday comes and no dice, No play functions work, I took back apart and the capstan motor isn't turning on when the rollers are at half mast like it should Help? Thank u in advance for any advice

Ok, help would be greatly appreciated, lol. I recently acquired a teac x-1000r, took her home, and opened her up to find the belt was gooo. After installing a new belt I took apart the capstan motor and found out it was fried from the previous owners attempts to use it after sitting on a shelf for years with a belt that was no longer present. After acquiring a new capstan board and motor I installed it and the unit fired up and I played and recorded all last Saturday with no issues. Sunday comes and no dice, No play functions work, I took back apart and the capstan motor isn't turning on when the rollers are at half mast like it should Help? Thank u in advance for any advice

Check if you have power to the control board first, did you buy a new or used motor ?
Servo board included or the old one ?

I bought a used motor with control board out of a working unit supposedly. I pulled the motor and inspected. It looks very good inside. What voltage should I see at which pins on the input. Thank u

I bought a used motor with control board out of a working unit supposedly. I pulled the motor and inspected. It looks very good inside. What voltage should I see at which pins on the input. Thank u

When the motor is engaged (press play with both tension-arm lifted)
the 10 pins (from 10+ to L 1) should have these DC voltages present:
0.488, 10.44, -0.023, 0.488, 23.80, 23.80, 23.80, 23.80, 22.01, 23.39, 23.80.

ok,,,i have the capstan motor and servo board plugged in but not mounted in unit so i can take voltage readings.....
heres is what i got with the motor engaged
37.14, 37.14, -.019, 37.19, 24.42, 24.42, 24.43, 24.43, 23.51, 24.43, 23.92

That verifies you are getting DC power to the board. See what the voltage is across the motor power leads.You can also disconnect the motor leads and put voltage on them to see if the motor spins. Two 9 volt batteries in series should spin the motor.

ok,, i got the motor to spin using the 9v batteries.......can i try using the old servo board that had the burnt up motor on it........inspecting it looks like all the resistors and such are in very good condition.....

Sorry to jump in...I have an X1000r that I am restoring. My first look today, and I spent all day on it and fixed several problems. There are 3 wires going to the transformer from the mains switch. The white and red are connected but there is a blue wire dangling and cut at the end. Is this unused and should be tied up or has it broken off connection? I have it all working except neither reel motors work. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom