General Info on TEAC X-1000R RTR

Thank you GoldEar, browsing around here..missed a bunch of good stuff.
So how have you been, still collecting Sony's or were you able to track down a Tascam 44 yet ?

Vintage TX said:
Thank you GoldEar, browsing around here..missed a bunch of good stuff.
So how have you been, still collecting Sony's or were you able to track down a Tascam 44 yet ?
I can't locate a 44 for a good price. If I find one, I would probably have to buy it. I've been trying not to add to my collection of R2Rs recently. Although haven't been doing a very good job of this considering that I couldn't pass up a deal on an X-1000R, and a 4 channel Otari 50-50 in good condition.

X-1000 R is a good pick and Otari MX-5050 too.
I found a 44 locally here but it's been flooded..I passed..:no:
Trying to lower my inventory this summer, too many decks and need more space.

Vintage TX said:
X-1000 R is a good pick and Otari MX-5050 too.
I found a 44 locally here but it's been flooded..I passed..:no:
Trying to lower my inventory this summer, too many decks and need more space.
So... Are you planning to have a sale on 44s??? :D

Hello Hello Hello!!!!!

Vintage TX said:
:banana: Hi guys, feels good to be here again.
Eric, were you able to track down a dummy-plug or ?

Yeah sort of. Won a TEAC 2300 for $12. Sent the guy a check, hasnt been cashed and no deck:no: Will check my bank account and see if the check cleared. Will drop him a line. Still using the one out of the 6010 you sent me. Got a 2nd 3340S to play with when time permits. Both owners want to sell. Market is a little soft right now...Great to hear from you Rolf. Hope youre felling well.

Eric:music:

Goldear, let me see what I have left here, do you want a project or serviced and ready ?

Hi Eric:thmbsp:
I have a friend up in California who made some really nice dummy-plug, let me call him and see if there is any left.
So you got (2) 3340's now ?

Vintage TX said:
Goldear, let me see what I have left here, do you want a project or serviced and ready ?
That depends on how just how big of a project were talking... Normally I service all of my own equipment. Lets take this discussion ofline. PMing.

This was a great post, and just what I needed. I just aquired an X-1000R. The belt was shot, and it looked like someone had attempted to work on it and hadn't gotten things back together correctly. (I'll bet it sat in that condition for a big portion of it's life, the heads look brand new).

Anyway, I ordered a new belt and pinch rollers from Teac. However, after putting it all back together it still doesn't work quite right. When playing forward a small amount of slack forms in the tape between the pinch rollers. Playing in the reverse direction seems fine.

I can see the belt moving when switching directions, but I'm wondering if it isn't tracking on the correct portion of the flywheels. Where exactly is it supposed to run?

Also, I notice in the Tec service manual that there is supposed to be 1.2mm of washers under one of the motor mounts and 0.5mm under the top one. This seems to contradict everything I've read in this post and others. My machine only had the single 1.2mm of washers under the one mount.

I'm at a bit of a loss in trying to figure out what to do here.

Any pointers will be appreciated,

Roy

Was the replacement belt from TEAC?

I have seen posts where a non TEAC belt was used and caused the problem you are having. For some reason it happens. The cure is a TEAC factory belts.

Eric:music:

# Check the R-tension-roller so it's spinning smooth, any crud or dirt on the roller or axel can create tape-slack.

# Switch the pinch-rollers around L-side to R-side, and see what happens.

Let us know what you find after this:thmbsp:

Forgot about the washer..do a check on the bottom pc-board if maybe the missing washer is down there.
Some of the earlier models had only one washer..the newer versions has 2.:yes:

Forgot about the washer..do a check on the bottom pc-board if maybe the missing washer is down there.
Some of the earlier models had only one washer..the newer versions has 2.

Yeah, mine has two (according to my service manual of 0.8mm and 0.5mm thickness). But my manual also shows a 0.5mm one on the top motor mount screw as well. But this one is not actually on the machine.

I'll try another new belt and new pinch rollers and see what that does.

How much does the belt move though? Does it go all the way from the front edge of the flywheel to the back (and vice versa) when changing? Mine only shifts by about half that much.

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you informed of my progress. It's turning into a fun project cleaning this deck up.

Roy

newbie needs help with x1000rbl

hi all, i'm a newbie here and would appreciate all the help i can get.
I purchase my teac x1000r in 19981 while station in Germany.
This baby has been real nice to me,hours of none stop music with sertain songs cued to replay without having have to get up and change record or rewind tapes, what a great feature, a very reliable girl up to 2004
I powered up, hit play and it started but was playing sloww.
while it was playing I lifted the tape lifter just a little and then she played normal so I wedged the lever with a piece of paper when i listen to her.

shortly after that i had to start a second story addition to my house.
Well I had not touch her since 2004 until 2 weeks ago my 10 yr. grand-daughter and 6 yr. old grand-son asked me what kind of music I grew up with.

I went and got her from the garage where she was boxed up, turned her on and lifted the tape lifter as usual and heard a little click.

I guess I lifted it too hard. I then heard the running real loud so I opened it up to take a look in the back.

I lifted the lifter up and down several times while looking in the back checking out the mechanism,I could see how the lifters assembly in the back work as the center bracket
is being pushed up by a metal linkage attached to the tape lifter which was hard to go up .

I searched all over to look and asked for help but no luck so I was ready to give up yjen I thought about looking on ebay to see if I could find a cheap x1000r to maybe salvage one or the other.

What a shock I got when I saw the price these babies were going for. Man! I said out loud. I could not beleive as I saw a 81 teac x1000rrbl sold for almost $1500.00.

well, I found this forum and behold I came accross Vintage TX thread with the beautiful picture of my baby in a state of undress.
Ithen looked at machine and notice that the the belt on mine was missing. (Bamm) I ordered a belt for $13.00 from teac in La. 6 hrs. south of where I'm at.
I cleaned everything replaced the belt and started her up, everything looked and sound real good mechanically.

Ok, here is the big problem, I put on my 10.5 " reel with my classical oldies from the 50's and 60's earth angels and all that good stuff but the problem is the songs sound like a 45 record playing at 78 speed, or a cassette tape being recorded in fast speed.

Will someone please tell me they understand my problem and help me to get her up and running again?

All help is deeply appreciated!!!

thanks hadabogi1

Thanks for a great story.:thmbsp:
About the speed problem, did you check the linkage for the two pinch-rollers when engaging play ?
(if the linkage is not lifting the pinch-rollers properly the speed will be faster.
# Does the pitch-control slow the speed down ?
# Are the pinch-rollers hard or glazed ?

X1000

The linkage you mentioned runs all the way up to the top of the face plate. ( This is the linkage that is causing the problem. You need to clean and oil it. refer to Vintage Tx post and lube the flat rod that runs up from the capstan assy. It had old dries grease nardening and preventing the pinch rollers from applying enough pressure to the tape to set the speed. - Joe:music:

Hi again, Thanks to you both for your quick responses.

I will check it out and report my findings.

many thanks , I really appreciate your help.

hadabogi1

Back
Top Bottom