Getting 5.1 from a Macbook Pro....

slimecity

Hi - after some pointers for doing this.

I am a vintage audio freak, so before we start, please dont suggest that I get a 5.1 receiver (yes, it will make life easier, but thats not how I do things.....!)

I have a macbook pro a couple of years old and for two-channel I have a Topping D30 DAC - that runs to me amps. No complaints there.

But I would like to look at how to run 5.1 from the Mac. I've heard that the Mac puts this out in toslink format.

I also reckon I could just run a signal to a soundbar to get the centre and projected left and right rears.

I run a cable from thunderbolt-out that has an HDMI lead to input picture and sound to the TV. Once connected, this disables all other sound outputs from the mac.

So ideally I need something that will split the HDMI signal from the Mac, put one of these into the TV-in, and somehow route into maybe some kind of converter that could extract centre & surround audio from HDMI.

Any ideas on how this could be done? thanks!

Last edited:
You're not gonna like this, but...

I have a MacBook Pro a couple years old. It has an HDMI output jack. I suggest you get a 5.1 receiver.

As an old boss of mine said to me once: "You're swimming upstream."

You're not gonna like this, but...

I have a MacBook Pro a couple years old. It has an HDMI output jack. I suggest you get a 5.1 receiver.

As an old boss of mine said to me once: "You're swimming upstream."

What he said. Without using a 5.1 capable receiver or processor how will you use 5.1 signals?

Recommend using an HT preamp processor to decode the surround info. Use either the toslink out from the headphone jack, or HDMI out.

What he said. Without using a 5.1 capable receiver or processor how will you use 5.1 signals?

Ha ha - yea you're right, Im not gonna like that lols. Yes, I usually do things in the most difficult way possible and this is one of them.....

Do you think there might be an early 80's Sansui 5.1 receiver that I can buy? lols.

How about this idea, does it seem outrageously bad.....?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-To-HDM...300643?hash=item2a5deae163:g:LUIAAOSwawpXwCDY

I suppose the above approach could be risky because god only knows what algorithms are being applied in the decoder, ie: although it states it can decode DTS, Dolby etc, how can you be sure that these will be genuine Dolby algorithms/chips etc....?

Thanks for your views all.

Ha ha - yea you're right, Im not gonna like that lols. Yes, I usually do things in the most difficult way possible and this is one of them.....

Do you think there might be an early 80's Sansui 5.1 receiver that I can buy? lols.

How about this idea, does it seem outrageously bad.....?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-To-HDM...300643?hash=item2a5deae163:g:LUIAAOSwawpXwCDY

I suppose the above approach could be risky because god only knows what algorithms are being applied in the decoder, ie: although it states it can decode DTS, Dolby etc, how can you be sure that these will be genuine Dolby algorithms/chips etc....?

Thanks for your views all.

No such thing as a 5.1 discreet system in the 80's for home audio. Dolby Digital (AC-3) was introduced in 1992, DTS was later.

That is the first product like that I have seen. For the asking price, by all means give it a try, and let us know how it performs. I do have to wonder if the manufacturer has used unlicensed hardware and software copies at that price, however. If it's legitimate and sounds good, it opens up a whole new market segment, and a badly needed one at that.

Bear in mind there is no adjustment for the channel levels, bass management/crossovers, distances/delay, "lip sync", etc., in that type of converter. It is simply just a converter. All those other adjustments will have to come either from settings in the source or settings in a downstream connected device.

For the price of converter one can or nearly can find an AVR/processor with all the right stuff. Self-flagellation has its limits; IMO, of course. :idea:

Last edited:
For the price of converter one can or nearly can find an AVR/processor with all the right stuff.
Yea its worth considering. Something small and discreet and 1U high at the most would be ideal. I'm in NZ so the market is a bit "thinner" here for good gear.

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom