Getting cigarette smell out of an amp

Denatured alcohol by the gallon and an assortment of brushes and swabs is what I've always used to detail around plastics. I've not had any problems with metal chassis paint, but worth testing first in a hidden area. I do the same test with orange cleaner if the stuff is sticky, nasty. Leaves a nice look and smell.

A clean microfiber cloth works great to scrub on tubes. Just a light once over across the print. Never thought about using a wet solution on them.

I did 'erase' some tube print once but I think only because it was dry and crumbly in the first place, not because of the alcohol.
...but why take a chance? I used a scrap cloth or paper towel dampened with the alcohol, BTW.

I recently purchased a used Fender Vibro Champ XD as my first guitar amp to go along with my first guitar. It is in very good condition and sounds great, even at "barely audible over the strings" volume. However, something I didn't notice until I got it home was that it smells of cigarettes. It gets stronger once the tubes have warmed up. I don't smoke and don't like the smell of tobacco, so I was wondering if there was a way to get the smell out more quickly than just airing it out.

That's the smell of 20th century rock n roll, right there! Was a time when it was impossible to even imagine a rock concert in a non smoking environment.

If you must strip it of its credibility and charm, I suggest to just give it a really good cleaning, and let time do the rest. Seriously you may damage it spraying cleaning liquids into a 40 year old amp, and the smell will go away over time.

In my experience, only time it really worked was when I placed an amp inside a plastic bag with rice and baking soda, seal it, and change the rice and baking soda weekly for a few weeks. It worked great.

That's the smell of 20th century rock n roll, right there! Was a time when it was impossible to even imagine a rock concert in a non smoking environment.

If you must strip it of its credibility and charm, I suggest to just give it a really good cleaning, and let time do the rest. Seriously you may damage it spraying cleaning liquids into a 40 year old amp, and the smell will go away over time.
The Vibro Champ XD wasn't made until 2007.

The Vibro Champ XD wasn't made until 2007.

I missed the whole XD part, my brother has an old Vibro Champ from the 70s, years ago I repaired it a few times, and installed a new speaker - was a very well made and great sounding little amp. Agree something from 2007 has no business smelling like smoke :)

Just looked it up... my god, it's sure not a vintage Fender inside!

I may try gogo's rice and baking soda treatment - I have a JVC QL-Y5F arm/table that is the best match for a Decca London Gold cart I've ever run into.Have owned this table for years and it still stinks -because it works perfectly I am loath to disassemble it to get at whatever's clinging to the inside.

Fender now charges extra for their relic series Teles that feature period correct bar smells embedded in the hide glue and lacquer finish. Beer, vomit, urine, cheap perfume, and unfiltered Pall Mall cigarette smoke will cost you an extra $500, so enjoy your naturally aged smokey goodness.

Oh, and stick a box of baking soda in its arse and call it good.

bs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom