Giant Killer gets new lease on life.

Final (I hope) testing tonight. Man I hope this dude sounds good on phono. It certainly does with a CDP, so I figure I have an honest chance.:D Prayers would be nice from those so inclined. My wife tells me there's no Patron Saint of tubes though.

Final (I hope) testing tonight. Man I hope this dude sounds good on phono. It certainly does with a CDP, so I figure I have an honest chance.:D Prayers would be nice from those so inclined. My wife tells me there's no Patron Saint of tubes though.
So, worst case, he can transfer his records to CD and he's good to go. :D

:Daka Gabriel Not a saint-tecknickly speakin'

Attachments

• bugleboy.gif
    bugleboy.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I bet you guys forgot about this one. I've been inside, outside, under, and on top of this rig trying to get some real audiophile type sound out of it. I think I may have finally done it, this bitch sounds tight. I just finished running several types of music through it, and it handled it all like cake. Got an honest 14 per channel, both channels driven at 1k. That's 2 more per side than it claimed when knew. B+ is around 355 on re-issue Mullards and the bass is strong and tight. I've rebuilt this thing 3 times now, and I'm finally proud of it. Oh crap, I just had a terrible thought; what if it's just this new bud that hit town a couple days ago.:smoke: Nah, it's really good.:music:

Jay,

This is one heck of a thread and so much good stuff here to absorb. Thank you.

Dumb question. If I was to have a working ASR-433 (I Do Actually) would it be this much work to restore. This is EPIC and I am hardly the EPIC type ATM.

Frannie

Jay,

This is one heck of a thread and so much good stuff here to absorb. Thank you.

Dumb question. If I was to have a working ASR-433 (I Do Actually) would it be this much work to restore. This is EPIC and I am hardly the EPIC type ATM.

Frannie

I have one too and am wondering the same thing???

Alright!.... Come to Papa... :yes:

I don't know Anthony. I'm sitting here listening to Rock's Rock-N-Roll Jesus, and damn dude, you may not be ready for this. I'd hate to send this to you, and bump you up about 20 years in the hobby. Just think of all that cool stuff you'll miss out on. No, I think maybe this ol' gal should stay here at the spa for a summer or two. I don't say this just off the cuff, but I'll put it up against that Pilot 232 right now. I am so happy I bought some of this iron while it's so cheap (cause it's fugly). In all seriousness, I can always tell when an amp is ready to leave the spa, it's when I really don't want it to. I can't turn the bitch off mang.:music: BTW, anyone wondering about the Mullard re-issues, I'd say grab a set. I'm running these plenty hot, and they seem to take it in stride. I think I'm gonna stick me on some Skynard, Sweet Home Alabama, just cause I can dammit.:smoke:

As good as the Pilot eh? Maybe I should sell the pilots then and try a SET 2A3 amp... :scratch2:
I think you owe it to yourself to not sell anything until you've had the chance to listen to them on your speakers in your listening space and compare with SET or other amps. Everyone's ears and tastes are different.

You're lucky to have so many good options. :yes:

I agree with Tink, don't sell ANYTHING, until you know really well which is better for you. Don't forget about the synergy thing, how everything plays together, that can be huge. :yes:

Man, Jay... you need to find some excuse to make some new speakers, so I can do that for you in exchange for getting my ASR433 right... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Man, Jay... you need to find some excuse to make some new speakers, so I can do that for you in exchange for getting my ASR433 right... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Trust me, I'm drawing this one out before it leaves. There's some hard earned info under them covers.:D

I've been reading this thread and really enjoying it but when I got to the end...a cliffhanger??? Can we get some closure on this beast? I'm so excited to tear into my ASR-433 when I get back into town.

If there's an echo and a funny smell it's because Jay is redoing his septic tank. It may take a bit for him to clean himself up... :D

Well, the cliffhanger can come to an end now. I have had this ampliffier in desktop system (the one that gets the most listening time) and I can tell you that it is nothing short of magnificent.

The first thing that strikes you when you see this amp is just how heavy it is considering the small footprint. Also, as Jay points out, it's not in any danger of winning any beauty contests. :D I have the SC setup with a pair of DIY Karma Indignia speakers and listened both with CD's as well as my Linn LP12. From what I can tell, the SC needs about 40 minutes of warmup time to really sound its best.

This amp really has got alot more bass than it has a right to. I don't know how it does it, but this little guy paired with my Indignias (small monitor type speakers) produce some deep and very pleasing bass. The other thing that strikes you right away is how detailed this little amp can be. Listening to music with alot going on at once,percussion, stringed instruments and horns, nothing gets mixed up or messy just nice and clear. Also, this little amp reproduces guitar and other stringed instruments like few I have heard before. Listening in near field is a new experience for me but this combination produces a very real and three dimensional soundstage.

I am very pleased with this little amp and have found it a permanent place in my house. Special thanks to Jay for all you put into this little guy; it was worth the wait! Jay made alot of apologies for taking his time with this amp but the reality is that Jay is a craftsman and a perfectionist and he didn't want to ship this out to me unitll it was "right" which it certainly is now. :thmbsp:

PS - Thanks for the "voicing CD" Jay there is some really nice stuff on there. Any chance you can give me a track by track playlist; I may want to buy some music from these artists.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom