Godless, The Most Brutal Western I Have Ever Seen: Netflix

No one's mentioned what a great job Michelle Dockery does as the female lead???? I thought it was an interesting change for her after playing Lady Mary Crawley for so long in Downton Abbey. I agree that Jeff Daniels does a great job as Frank Griffin.

A violent show to be sure, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Both very well acted characters, as were several others, but my favourite is the "going blind" sheriff, what a great character portrayal.

I was thinking more on the "brutal" theme ... you don't get a cutaway and just hear that nail gun blowing a hole in someone ... you see it up close and personal ...

I would liken No Country for... more to Bone Tomahawk in that there is a specific scene, but just one, that sorta sets it apart re: (fictional) screen violence. As for most brutally violent screen violence, actual footage of war in action, particularly in Vietnam where there were so many danged camera operators embedded w/ the platoons, etc., takes top spot. Oh yes, that and scenes from Alain Renais' remarkable documentary film Night & Fog.

Both very well acted characters, as were several others, but my favourite is the "going blind" sheriff, what a great character portrayal.

Mr. Mystic: I'm going to hazard a guess that if you enjoyed 'Godless', you'll like 'Damnation' as well. Takes a bit of patience to understand where everyone belongs in the plot with a slow build and some twists. It ends with a great beginning to Series II, which I don't see available yet.

It is violent though, and despite there be a 'preacher' character as the lead male, it's very early on established that this is not actually the case.

Mr. Mystic: I'm going to hazard a guess that if you enjoyed 'Godless', you'll like 'Damnation' as well. Takes a bit of patience to understand where everyone belongs in the plot with a slow build and some twists. It ends with a great beginning to Series II, which I don't see available yet.

It is violent though, and despite there be a 'preacher' character as the lead male, it's very early on established that this is not actually the case.

Merci beaucoup for the recommendation, I'll look into it.

Great characters all the way through. I am somewhat of a Scoot McNairy fan and I enjoyed him as the poor-vision sheriff too. But that Jeff Daniels though, he makes a great bad guy. Never thought about him that way at all until I saw him in Looper. He plays the pragmatic man of violence quite well.

Great characters all the way through. I am somewhat of a Scoot McNairy fan and I enjoyed him as the poor-vision sheriff too. But that Jeff Daniels though, he makes a great bad guy. Never thought about him that way at all until I saw him in Looper. He plays the pragmatic man of violence quite well.

It is a feat to leap past, to forget his place @ Dumb And Dumber. Or was that, too, in fact the work of genius?

Jeff Daniels is of the best reactionary actors on the planet; genius.

Side note trivia on Dumb&Dumber. Total film budget was $16 million. Jim Carey snatched $7 million of that....Jeff Daniels did it for $50K....just so he could stretch his range.
:beerchug:

I have watched Godless series 3 times and starting tonight will be my 4th time. Love this series and wish more in the future.

RE: Godless, Netflix, 2017.

This is an older thread, but just my two cents - Godless on Netflix is a terrific series.

I ignored it when released in 2017, but recently I was researching the fantastic Netflix series - The Queens Gambit. I found several Netflix producers and the Cinematographer also worked on Godless.

So I took a chance on Godless and both wifey and I through it was a riveting drama. We turned our heads during the moments of crazy violence, but thoroughly enjoyed it and talked about it for days.

(Note: Episode 1 is very violent, but the other episodes have moments of violence)

Always a huge fan of Jeff Daniels - he can play anything. Here he creates a complex, very bad dude.

Cheers,

Snade

Last edited:
I watched Godless, because of Michelle Dockery after her performance in DA. I loved the Godless series and watched every bit of it. I don’t shy away from violence. Sadly, it is a part of life.

I watched Godless, because of Michelle Dockery after her performance in DA. I loved the Godless series and watched every bit of it. I don’t shy away from violence. Sadly, it is a part of life.

Got into "Godless" by chance. Some how the trailer/photo just didn't do anything for me...but thought what the heck; I'll give it a go.

It is at times pretty brutal, but if you read about the West, those were pretty tough/rough times.

I like the pace of the plot...it moves along.

Ain't any pretty people in it. All, just reg lookin' types.

Scenes are great. Clothes even better.

Some dev of character.

Unexpected "twists" surprises in the mix as well.

Think I'll keep watchin' this TV Series; "Godless".

Q

Back
Top Bottom