Going to have to replace my GPU

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Sapphire Radeon NITRO R9 380 4GB GPU. Since I installed it back in 2016 I have freezing problems with it. I have done all of the diagnostics and I can find no problems. But if I play any videos, Youtube, or if I am doing heavy duty tasks it will freeze. It is not a BSOD, no blank screen it just freezes. The sound and everything just stops and I have to reboot. On the various gaming forums they have been talking about this issue since 2015. Nobody has figured out a reliable solution. Today I disabled an energy saving subroutine which was reported to be a possible cause, no joy. I have always run Nividia GPU's in past years. Except for this freezing issue I am very pleased with this R9 380. Fortunately the price of GPU's are dropping. The gaming forums are reporting good things about the RX580 Radeon GPU's.

I was working on music files with jRiver yesterday and I got real frustrated because I had to reboot from a lockup several times.

While I like the graphics quality of Radeon cards, ever since I built my first DAW PC back in 2004, I've always used motherboards with Intel chipsets and CPU's, along with Nvidia graphics cards. That combination just seemed more stable to me. Plus, most aftermarket software is tested via Intel hardware, so that helped stability too. So, maybe try Nvidia instead?

Good luck.

I have always been an AMD man. As I said I have always used NIVIDIA in the past. I am still waiting for the prices to come down plus a new crop of GPU are coming out. So we will make a decision then.

I needed to upgrade a while back and went with an AMD APU. 60 watts, so no heat, and plenty fast, plus it has integrated sound (which I don't use) and integrated video (which I do use). Went from having half a dozen fans howling away when the old system was working hard, to two whisper quiet fans, one on the chip, and one in the power supply. Both of those only run as fast as needed and only when needed, and even then, you can't hear them.

Bonus ... the ITX mini boards bolt right into any ATX case ... pleasant surprise that.

PS ... the entire motherboard is hiding under that fan here ...

htpc-gigabyte-001.jpg

AMD person as well. On my three PC's, all have HD 6870 cards. Several generations old, so the can be had for cheap $$.
For BluRays, they work awesome, plenty of GPU for movie work, and they all have sound pass-thru over HDMI.

my two cents Stu

I've run several of the HDxxxx Radeon cards with great reliability and results. The newer R series seem to have all kinds of varying issues. We have run two or three of them and almost always ended up back with nVidIA.

Nividia is what I have always used in the past years. The R9 3XX Series has issues freezing is one of them. I have used every kind of grunt testing software on this GPU I can find they abuse the card severely I have never been able to find out a cause. The 500 Series Radeon seems to be OK but I don’t want to spend $400 Dollars on a Radeon and have it freezing. We will see. The Gaming blogs are saying to wait a few more months the prices will get even lower than they are presently.

Back
Top Bottom