Good 80 Plus Inch TV's. 4X No content.

Staun

Not much content for ultra 4X so, what's the answer? Which are the better 80 plus inch sets and why? I've heard next years models will be better. Again, why?

You may want to check AVS Forum for more info on the biggest baddest and newest TV. Most of us here seem to be 1 or 2 steps below what you are looking at (75" 4k for me).

You may want to check AVS Forum for more info on the biggest baddest and newest TV. Most of us here seem to be 1 or 2 steps below what you are looking at (75" 4k for me).
I certainly have no issue with this size which is what I will probable go with anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you have seen an OLED display you will never want anything else. So to a keep a lid on prices 75" is about as far as you want to go. 80 and 85" will put a real dent in your pocket book.

77 inches is the largest OLED 4k that was available earlier this year. This year LG revealed an 88" 4K OLED display prototype. Oled is so much better than conventional LED with QLED from Samsung sort of splitting the difference. But no matter what you buy today 8K which will be right around the corner in time for the Summer Olympics I have read. So you have to balance instant gratification syndrome with the future. I have skipped 4K so far, with just having a small set in the Bed room. I will want to see 8K first.

There is an article that sight and sound published years ago showing the capability of the eye to discern resolution versus distance and screen size. The closer you sit the more resolution you need. The further the less resolution, so depending on your viewing distance, 1080p may be adequate or you might need 8K, Hopefully 4k will be all you ever need.

I just got two 4K TVs for the house--mine is 65" and to be honest, I see no need for 8K--I can even be a few feet away and I still see no pixellation as I do with 1080p. The other 4K is 42" (it's in a smaller room, so, not much room for anything larger). They're less expensive models, but do perfectly well for our needs--the cost came down to "no-brainer" territory, and the Black Friday deals were in abundance. There is still so little 4K programming that I did it more so I could use mine to display my photography sharply. :D

I noticed the other day Directv has 2 and 1/2 4K channels. Whoopieeee!!!. I guess streaming is the only real choice for 4K..

That's what kills me about this rush to 8K. The hardware manufacturers want to push new technology on us, so they can generate sales. They need to look at the sad state of 4K's media availability to consumers for an eye-opener. We can't even receive 4K broadcasts from the local TV stations yet. It's useless to buy an 8K when you can barely find programming for 4K! Doesn't bother me though, since my set is used a lot for gaming, and the occasional hockey game. I figure if 4K ever catches on and becomes mainstream, at least I'm not obsolete. :)

The main improvement of 4k is the displays are brighter with higher contrast from the black blacks. Plus the screen response time is better. All these things make the picture look better when viewing 1080P or 4K. The reason for 8K was so while making videos in 8K later on when producing the final result you can crop the video and retain the 4k resolution for the movie industry. But you know the Asians, they have to have a new gimmick because of their self induced price war competitions.

If you kids with your fancy 4K moniitors want to view 4K programming, you should check out CuriosityStream service.

I believe most of the shows are finished in 4K format, but of course, not every shot in the shows will have been shot at 4K.

I have edited 4K shows in the past, and only saw the shows at the 4K resolution at the very end of the process.
Actually edited at 1080P; 4K required too much horsepower for the regular offline process.

Standard def to HD was the game changer for me, kinda underwhelmed by 4K. It all depends on the monitor...
Still digging my Panasonic plasma.

Yes going from an Old 35 inch Mitsu to a 61" Kuro Ellite was a big change. A big big change. 4k only real advantage is the blacker backs. Thats much more noticeable than the difference in resolution. I'd love to go to the WCES show to see all the new Goodies. Just to see 8K would be a blast..

Its not the 4K resolution that provides dark blacks and high contrast. It's the HDR feature and how it is implemented. With Sony vision (which requires licencing by the manufacturer) or HDR + (No licencing required). And what type of TV. My friends 65" LG OLED HDR with Sony vision looks amazing with 1080P Blu-ray disc's. Lesser 4K TV's even with 4K don't even come close to this quality picture.

Also in order to benefit from 4K resolution you must sit closer to the TV than most folks do. If your sitting more than 8' from a 60" TV a person with good vision cannot perceive the difference between 4K and 1080P. Many cable TV providers and over the air TV channels provide either 1080i or 720P HD resolution, which we perceive as almost identical. Both work very well for home theater, As do 1080P Blu-ray disc's. Even 480P DVD's can look good, But if your not sitting too far away, HD will be noticeably sharper.

Thrilled with my 55" OLED, will probably end up in the bedroom and upgrade to a 65+" in the living room in the next year or two.

After years as a plasma owner, I couldn’t be happier with my 75” Sony XBR900 with HDR and a fully active array ...

Back
Top Bottom