Good find? Pioneer SX-1050

stewey

Hi,

Just scooped a Pioneer SX-1050 under the nose of another vintage shopper. As I strained to pick it up, he said: "you're not going to buy that are you?"... um yep sorry buddy :)

So I paid $59 CDN ($40 US), for what seems to be a perfectly functioning example of this fine 120 WPC receiver. What do you guys think - good deal? It's going to find a new home in my GF's room to replace her POS boom box.

Aside from being filthy dirty it needs a volume knob - any ideas where I could find one?

Any tips/tricks/warnings when cleaning this bad girl out?

Happy Stew.

Nice score. AG Tannenbaum sells manuals (photocopies), and if you look around a while you might even find an original Pioneer manual.

On the really dirty units, I blast 'em out with compressed air (nice having a compressor in the garage). Then I use a natural fiber paintbrush to loosen the stubborn crud, and blast it again. The knobs and stuff I just polish with car wax.

If it has been in a smoking environment, then I flush the internals with WD-40 and scrub with the paintbrush, then wipe all the WD out that I can. WD-40 is a great cleaner, but you do not want to get it in switches or pots. It's also messy as hell, but once done the insides look like new. I'm not sure if rookie techs should be contemplating this method. I've never had a problem, but without due care those switches and pots could be ruined.

Man, for $40, you should wear a mask on your head shopping there. You came out like a bandit! I like my SX-1050 a lot. Built like a tank and has a great sound. That 120WPC is more that the average human needs. You will be happy.

I may have a SX-1050 volume knob around here that I can spare. Send me a PM and I will check when I get a chance...

Ken

How to hook up antennae/cable...

Hi,

Total rookie question here. I don't have much experience with receiver's and never listen to the radio. How should I hook it up to cable?

I have a 75 to 300 ohms converter (I think), it accepts coax on one side and has two pairs of those horseshoe shaped connects on the other end. I have five antennae connections on the back of my 1050 though.

The way I have it set up now, it seems like decent reception, but the signal strength only reads .5 to 1.5, never anywhere near 4 or 5. Is this normal for cable hookups, or do I have it connected incorrectly?

Thanks.

You will get better reception for a piece of speaker wire. Try a dipole or even a set of rabbit ears.

Back in the 80's and before cable companies use to wide band amplify radio signals from an antenna off their tower. With the advent of digital music services in the late 80's they stopped doing it. I can remember getting great reception from cable, then one day it was gone. Called and asked why and they told me to sign up for the music service.

X

Thanks...

I was under the impression that our cable company still offered that service - maybe not. I'll look into rabbit ears as I started with speaker wire.

cya.

Nice Score!!! Pioneer SX1050

Great receiver. I have always liked these old Pioneers. Built in the late seventies these have a nice solid state sound compared to the earlier seventies series SX 828's, that have a tube like sound. I have the Sx 850 and I got it on my bedroom system with a pair of JBL 100's and a pair of AR 4X's. Great sound and it looks cool!!!

Getting one of these receivers going is usually easy. I like to clean out the dust using a paint brush with a cannister vacumn cleaner and GENTLY brush away the dust. If you have noisy controls spray them with a product like Deox. Volume, bass,treble balance but NOT the FM tuner condenser.

As far hooking to cable,if your cable company offers it try it!! I live in Stone Ridge NY and Time Warner still has FM on cable and its very good. My 850 works well and pulls in New York City stations well. Some cable companies dont offer FM anymore and if they stop here they go, period. I will go to a roof top antenna and a satellite for the TV.

Your 1050 is a great receiver and built like a tank. In good shape it will last you a long time. Enjoy it, Eric of Stone Ridge

:D :D :D :D All you need now is a nice turntable to go with it, got two on mine.ET

Thanks...

I'm still working on getting all the bugs out. It needs a little more work than I had originally anticipated, but I'm not at the point of diminishing returns yet.

Several burnt out bulbs, fm cuts in and out - could be reception, and I need a volume knob and toggle switch knob.

I'm looking forward to getting it back in top form.

cya, Stew.

Back
Top Bottom