good inexpensive turntables?

SPeeples

I'm fairly new to AK so I hope this is an appropriate question. I'm looking for a new, decent but inexpensive turntable for an otherwise old system (HK300B receiver, Advent speakers). Any suggestions for a tt under $400? Thanks.

U-Turn Orbit (several configurations from $179-459), Fluance Reference Series turntables, $300-500, AT LP-120 $250-300, several Pro-Ject models in that range, those are a few to think about. I own an Orbit and an older Fluance (RT-81) and they've been excellent. U-Turn offers the best direct customer service you're likely to receive, perhaps ever. They're that good.

Semi would be my preference, but I'm good with manual.
Welcome to AK. I don't have first hand experience with any new tables other than the Denon 300 which is automatic. My experience with it is limited but has been good. The Monolith that was mentioned earlier is getting good reviews. I've also read a lot of good reviews on U-Turn and Fluance.

I recently gave my secondary u-turn table to my daughter and put a $249 Fluance RT81 in my bar area and am highly impressed for the money. Only auto function is the platter will stop spinning at the end of the record - which you can turn off. Reasonable built in mm phono stage and build quality too.

I did pop in an LP Gear 95VL stylus. Easy $130 upgrade and totally worth it in my opinion - a fantastic value at ~$400 all in.

upload_2019-2-5_21-42-51.jpeg

I recently gave my secondary u-turn table to my daughter and put a $249 Fluance RT81 in my bar area and am highly impressed for the money. Only auto function is the platter will stop spinning at the end of the record - which you can turn off. Reasonable built in mm phono stage and build quality too.

I did pop in an LP Gear 95VL stylus. Easy $130 upgrade and totally worth it in my opinion - a fantastic value at ~$400 all in.

View attachment 1410756
How does the sound quality of the Fluance compare with the U-Turn? I know with different cartridges it may be hard to compare.

How does the sound quality of the Fluance compare with the U-Turn? I know with different cartridges it may be hard to compare.

I actually had the same cartridge on the U-Turn but with a different alignment.

This is difficult to quantify - it's in my bar area of my kitchen and simply connected to a Marshall Kilburn speaker. I will say that when I first spun it up, the bass seemed much tighter and highs more defined on the Fluance than on the U-Turn and the background is definitely quieter. They both came with built in phono preamps so it's hard to tell if the improved bass and highs is due to the table or the preamp.

One thing that should also be noted is that the Fluance is designed around the Baerwald alignment geometry, which I prefer, and the U-turn is designed around the Stevenson.

I think you answered your own question. By using the cart of your choice, either one should sound satisfactory. I have the U-turn Orbit Plus table and it works very well. And I'll echo what was said earlier about the fantastic customer service.

Honestly, those Monolith tables at Monoprice.com look very intriguing for the money. I would also be inclined to look at those. But nobody beats U-turn's customer service.

I second the Technics suggestions! I´d add the SL-1600 Mk2, in case you would consider a full auto (and suspended) TT. The tonearm in this model is very nice!

Last edited:
Other than the Technics that've already been suggested, within your budget you will be able to find Dual (12XX series, 1219/1229/1229Q my favorites) and BIC (960/980) turntables that have been serviced that should make you happy.

Bought a Technics SL-D1 brand new back in the early '80s. It shares the same plinth as SL-D2, SL-D3 and SL-B1, B2 and B3 as well. I have found the hollow plastic plinth in these models extremely vulnerable to feedback and resonance in general. Quickly got rid of it in favor of a Pioneer PL-518 which I've owned ever since.

Pioneer PL-516, 518, 540 and 560 plinth is high density particle material with far better resistance to resonance than the Technics models and heavier. The semi-automatic direct drive Pioneer PL-518, for example is 40% heavier than the comparable Technics SL-D2. This makes a significant difference. PL-550 and 570 are others I would recommend as well but they're usually more expensive.

The Pioneer PL-518 has never missed a beat after 35 years and I like it so much I recently bought another for a different system. Prices seem to have increased lately and I see many have been converted to genuine veneer finish which looks really good on these.

I would also avoid the Pioneer PL-112D series which have the same hollow plastic plinth issues of the Technics models above.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the AR XA or its relatives. Simple, even agricultural, but remarkably good sounding. You can upgrade it, but you don't have to to enjoy it. And, of course, you get the full immersion vinyl baptism, since it is as manual as it can get. That's not altogether a compliment, by the way - the dust cover (if it is still there) is awkward to the point of uselessness unless you view the table as a museum piece.

I suggest the Sansui SR-636. the most musical TT I have heard in my system. I use carts ranging from a micro acoustics ma530mp tracking around .7 grams to an Ortofon mc25fl tracking at 2.0 grams. I've been through so many tables including Thorens 125mkii/Grace 707 arm, Mission 775sm with no less than 8 different highly regarded arms, Pioneer PLC-590 with multiple arms, Yamaha px-2 and px-3, and numerous others. To me, in my system, the Sansui sounds the best. Sold my first to a friend and had to get another. Both were under $250 delivered. Clean the pitch control and speed will be spot on.

Back
Top Bottom