Good replacement cable for AKG K240 (600 Ohm) Monitors?

filmis

I have an original, made in Austria pair of AKG K240 Monitors (not bragging, it's actually relevant to my question). They are great and work perfectly and I love them except the plastic cable covering at the jack end is coming apart, and it's a damn ugly cable overall.

I'm thinking it's high time to replace it, preferably with something that has one of those screw-in 3.5mm-to-6.35mm adapters.

Any suggestions? My biggest concern, and reason for posting here for advice, is because I want a replacement cable that has some kind of plastic stopper at the headphone end, so in case it gets accidentally pulled, it won't cause damage to the speaker connections.

Call AKG support and ask for their parts department. Their office is in Northeidge California. I’ve gotten elastics for headbands, earpads and cables for repairs.

Last edited:
I put this on mine and it is a high-quality cable, with screw-on adaptor and strain relief. The braided covering provides a quality tactile feel, also. And, it's on sale right now for only $13 in a 1.2m length (other lengths available), I paid more, and don't regret it at all. I highly recommend it, for both quality and value, especially at this price.

It’d be nice if that was all that was required. I use this cable with my Q701 and it’s great. However, the old 600ohm K240s have nonremovable cables.

It’d be nice if that was all that was required. I use this cable with my Q701 and it’s great. However, the old 600ohm K240s have nonremovable cables.

Ah, old ones. I missed that. Didn't miss them at the time though - had a pair of the old ones way back when which I bought new, of course. Loved 'em. Sound great, and so comfortable.

Don't know what the inside of that ear cup looks like, but if you mod it with a socket, you can do whatever you want with the cord and plug arrangement. Might not hurt to poke around Parts Express or other such websites to see if something jumps out. I used part # 090-317, but not on the same brand/model cans, so YMMV.

If the part of the cable that comes from the ear cup is ok you could fit something like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 26
If the part of the cable that comes from the ear cup is ok you could fit something like this

I see, so you cut the cable and attached a female 3.5mm jack to it?

I watch a YouTube reviewer from India who does this with a lot of his vintage headphones. And all his AKGs. I've taken a peak inside of the earcups at how tight the space is and how tightly the wires are folding in there. I'd much rather splice in a female 3.5mm then recable. This is a good idea.

I watch a YouTube reviewer from India who does this with a lot of his vintage headphones. And all his AKGs. I've taken a peak inside of the earcups at how tight the space is and how tightly the wires are folding in there. I'd much rather splice in a female 3.5mm then recable. This is a good idea.
Yeah, I think it's an elegant idea. Besides, if I ever need to change the cable again, I can do so without having to resolder anything.

Based on what I can tell about the internal architecture of AKG, it looks like boza's solution is the perfect one for this circumstance. In a can with a little more room, I would go the route I did because I like the nice clean look, but if you don't have the space it rather limits your options.

I had Blue Jeans Cable build me a set of cables for my AKG 240 Mk II’s. One a stereo 25 feet long, and a mono 15 footer. These are cables they build for recording studios.

Back
Top Bottom