Good tube literature

I got a book at a college lab sale 25 odd years ago :beerchug: that I like to peruse often. It's actually an electronics textbook called "Transistors" by Milton S Kiver.
First published in 1956, a lot of the book studies transistor circuits while comparing them to equivalent circuits built with vacuum tubes.
It's actually a good textbook; I always had trouble with semiconductor theory in college and this book approaches everything from an electron flow point of view rather than conventional flow. Things became much clearer to me. Also was my first real exposure to vacuum tube theory.

I have many but they are on my hard drive.
And I just moved
But. I can tell you if you look around there is a plethora of old books about tube amps.

I may have found the book I've been looking for. It's telling me stuff I need to know, and hasn't lost me yet. :banana:

Tu-be or not Tu-be

Modification manual for vacuum tube electronics.

By H I Eisenson and the Audio Dimensions staff

I found mine on epay. This is a really good book for solder slingers. :thmbsp:
I want this!!! Does anybody know where I can get a copy?

People looking for a high-level study of the physics and fundamental physical processes of vacuum tubes will find in this book a valuable resource:

Karl R. Spangenberg, "Vacuum Tubes", McGraw-Hill (1948)

http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/Spangenberg_vacuum_tubes.pdf

NIce to see the PDF is available. Thanks for the link. This book is a mix of information at many levels. Worth a look but dont get bogged down in the physics...unless you love that stuff. It is of the highest level written when the understanding and further development of vacuum tubes was at its zenith. The transistor came along and the world changed.

This book was written for those who want to design vacuum tubes. Im happy to have it on the shelf though its not my bible and it is rare so dont go out an buy it. Not for the average person here. For that I recommend the opening pages of the RCA manual or Radio Amateurs Handbook.

Do have a look at the pdf, its free. After a few pages I think you will see what I mean. Read the Preface. As stated there this book was written for senior and Graduate students in Electrical Engineering. Hope you did well in your core courses :)

Last edited:
Jaymanaa; the OP. Recently passed. Good guy. Free with his time and knowledge. He is already missed.

Wow, that hit me like a ton of bricks.
I don't come around here very often, but my busy times here were certainly intertwined with his posts.

Take care, Jay. You'll be missed.

There's a wealth of information in the RCA tube manuals.
Also, I still use a refurbished Heathkit TC-2 tube tester (emission only.)
Cheers,
Roger

Hi, It was suggested to me a couple weeks ago on this forum to check my RCA receiving tube manual for some data I was looking for. Not only did I not have one, I didn't know such a thing existed! Well, after a little e-baying I now have two (a 1947 and a 1968). I wish I had known about these 8 months ago. What a wealth of practical down to earth tube data. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where members could list literature that has been helpful to them. My list would go as follows.

Boozehound Labs Hi-Fi Primer
Valve Amplifiers Third Edition (Morgan Jones)
Principals of Power (Kevin O'Conner)

I've read more, but these stand out, what are some of your favorites? Jay

Here is the LATEST edition of M.Jones book https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Amplifiers-Morgan-Jones/dp/0080966403/

Also get MicroCAP 12 from here http://www.spectrum-soft.com/download/download.shtm . It is a free simulation tool with many tube models coming with it. It will save you time on prototyping.

One I just found, which to me is awesome. Basic theory and application of electron tubes. By the Army and Air Force departments.

Back
Top Bottom