got a favorite limoncello recipe?

Just wondering about all the lemon acid. Do you drink this as a shot or a drink over the rocks? I'm thinking about trying this.

It did not seem acidic at all. We just drank it straight up, sipped it really. The glass in my picture is only 2.25 ounces.

-Dave

I made a small batch for the holidays. Wasn't too excited about it though.
Today I felt like a Vodka and Tonic. Since I like a twist of lemon in mine I decided to try one with the leftover limoncello instead.
Wow, I think I just found a new favorite! Very refreshing, though a bit on the sweet side.
Next time I'll make a batch with less or maybe no sugar, just to use with the tonic.
I did like the glow in the dark yellow of the mix before I added the simple syrup, which made it a slightly milky yellow.

I use this recipe from Alton Brown. It turns out excellent.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds lemons, about 8 to 10
  • 750 ml vodka, 100 proof
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2/3 cup sugar

Directions

Carefully remove the zest from the lemons using a microplane or rasp grater, being careful not to remove any of the white pith. Reserve the lemons to make lemonade or squeeze and freeze the juice for later use.

Put the lemon zest into a lidded glass container that is at least 2-quarts in size. Pour the vodka over the zest, and let sit in a cool dark place for 7 days.

After 7 days, strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer lined with muslin or several layers of cheesecloth and return the vodka to the container.

Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan set over high heat and cook, stirring continually, until the sugar is completely dissolved, approximately 3 minutes. Once completely cool, add the sugar syrup to the vodka, and stir to combine.

Cover and put the container in the freezer for at least 4 hours. Limoncello can be stored in the freezer for up to a year.

Back
Top Bottom