Got my new ADCOM GFP-555 hooked up

cudaken

Well, I got a good deal off E-stupid on a Adcom GFP-555 preamp. I had this preamp before, when I bought the DQ 10's new. But house was broken into around 1986 or so and it was gone. Dumb sh-ts left the amp. More than likey the preamp was throw away thinking it was broken :thumbsdn:

Bought a Sansui CA-2000 from a pawn shop around 1988, had drity pots and need to be wacked to work right. (wish I kept it, just looked so dam cool)

I had been useing a Adcom GFP-1A for the last 6 months now, but I kept thinking about the GFP-555 I had. Finlay won one off E-stupid and was a good deal. Just had all the pots cleaned, 2 week's audition time and with shipping onlt $105.00 with buy it now.

I have been looking for a better pin pont sound stage.

Hooked it up and this is what I found so far, only on 2nd CD.

Base is much deeper.

Highs are a little muddy, remeber why I had Pinch thing's on the DQ's cranked. Turned them up and happy with the preamp flat.

Gain is a little slower on the volume control, little worry with 600 watts a side. GFP-1A 25% cranked and time to poop some fues's, at 35% now and nothing blowen.

Details seem about the same, have not heard anything I missed before.

Sound stage, what I have been looking for? Quest still on, but sat back for now. Sound is much more pin point, but not prefect yet.

Heard the ADCOM GFP-555 II was to bight, should have bought it, I like bright.

Step was in the right direction and helped. But till the Boy's in the Band are in my Garage will not be happy.

At $105.00 with shipping pretty happy, one of the best buys I have made so far. Now what to do with two extra Adcom Preamps? Yes, I have 2 Adcom's I do not need.

Cuda Ken, Happy but not doing the :banana: dances yet.

Back
Top Bottom