Grabbed a pair of Quantum 5's, who else has these things?

kjack48230

Fellow AKer Kegger was selling a pair of Infinity Quantum 5's here. Got a lot of oohs and aaahs but no bites even though it was priced great! Luckily for me he knew I was a suckered for great gear and shot me a message about them.

Went over and checked them out. Cabinets where in fantastic shape with only one minor chip that's easily fixable (3rd picture). The Watkins woofers need to be refoamed and are being packed to ship out for that (last picture). Took the mid and tweeter out as well, need to buff out the chrome plate on the Emit tweeter.

Man, this cabinet is a beast! It's not the usual 3/4" thick MDF, it's a full 1". And has anyone ever seen the crossovers on these things? Wow! Check out the nudes! Suffice to say, this is going to be a fun project and I'm excited to hear what these things sound like after I rebuild the crossovers and get the woofers back.

Has anyone else listened to these before and after a crossover rebuild? Just curious about what to expect.

Attachments

• 20170318_221049.jpg
    20170318_221049.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20170318_205424.jpg
    20170318_205424.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 1489889856914-1237265307.jpg
    1489889856914-1237265307.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 1489889920529-569467441.jpg
    1489889920529-569467441.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 76
:beerchug:
AK'er Ken Boyd has a set of 5's and I think he likes his.
I'd listen to them before I'd do a recap.
Those big blue capacitors are supposed to be of high quality and the poly films are fine.
The pots should be cleaned up/deoxit if they don't function properly.

I have a pair in my office, identical with the exception that I have the clear polycone woofer. Those cabs are impressive! Mine are pristine with the grills and the owner had some Beatiful stands made for them.

I was going to sell them but I can't, there just to nice so I'm eventually going to use them as rear surrounds with the QLS-1's.

Congratulations, you did very well and I'm sure you'll love them when all is done! I think they sound incredible, great looking "bookshelf" speakers (that is if you're Paul Bunyon), and they don't make them like that anymore, as in timeless classics, do they :thumbsup:

Sent the Watkins into Watkins. They are still in business, and they're actually selling the same woofers, modernize I would imagine. They'll have them refoamed and sent back by the end of next week.

Just got done shining up the tweeters. First time I ever took one of these tweeters apart, those are some powerful magnets. Was a b trying to get it back together again. Hope I didn't screw it up.

Attachments

• 1490571669684167142845.jpg
    1490571669684167142845.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 21
Just got the call, my woofers are done. One of the voice coils were damaged and had to be repaired. Warning, don't hook up a speaker without any surround support, you'll damage the voice coil!

Lucky me they were able to fix it and it is operating like new! Now the wait till they arrive. I hope its before the weekend so i can put them back together and hook them up for a test drive.

In the mean time, I picked up a little walnut veneer to fix the bottom corner. Ill have that ready for the woofers.

I was talking to the gentleman at Watkins Stereo about doing an upgrade on the crossovers and he said that i shouldn't need to do that. He said they used high quality caps and that there shouldn't be any problem running these with the original caps.

I'll have a listen before doing anything. I'll give a report by Sunday if they get here by Friday. They should, they're in Tennessee and I'm in Detroit! UPS can get it up here in just two days, so said the map!

IMG_1406.JPG IMG_1403.JPG Just refoamed my woofers, man they sound good. The bass comes in spades. Sorry for the crappy pics.IMG_1400.JPG

Well, finally had time to put the Watkins back in the cabinets and plug them in. Playing my go to album "Steely Dan Aja". This is an "Original Master Recording" in near mint condition. Had to get creative with a missing fuse cover but I'll get another from Radio Shack tomorrow. Got to love aluminum foil! Anyway, this is my impression of these with the volume up at a modest level.

OOOOO MMMMM GGGGGGG!!!!!!!

As the volume increases, it only gets better! These Watkins are the BOMB! I have a sub that i would use to help with the bottom end on some of my other speakers but not these.
Putting on "Supertramp Crimes of the Century" now, also a Master Recording! It's a shame you can't be here to listen to this but this is pure Fn Gold! These are now a permanent member of my collection! Thanks again to Kegger! You need to come over soon and hang!

Attachments

• 14911836535831970918869.jpg
    14911836535831970918869.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 24
Oh, the three turntables from left to right are a Harman Kardon T45, a Denon DP 3000 with a SME series III arm, and a Thorens TD 124 MK II with no arm..... Yet!

And yes, that is a couple bottles of scotch on the right. A 20 year old Glen Roth and a 12 year old Glenkinchie!

SWEET!

Yah I gotta get by there, That would be a great invite for sure...
I also found a few fuse holder tops they may fit the missing one.
(if yur in the area just gimme a shout out and I'll hand um to yu)

Nice ! They look great . I'm keeping mine. That bass from the Watkins is amazing and they shake the house pretty good :D.

Back
Top Bottom