Grado F-1?

Old John

Looking through a box of stuff I'd stored, I discovered a "Grado F-1 Stereo Pickup" cartridge that I'd been given years ago but never used. Anybody know anything about this cartridge?

Old John

There is a current Grado replacement stylus, Prestige Silver, I think.
Check the Gradolabs website for the chart.

F1+ is a good cartridge. If it needs a new stylus, You don't have to buy a silver stylus for $85.00. Just buys a blue for $55.00 and save $30.00. Aside from the color, they are the same thing and are identical. Use the $30.00 to buy more vinyl.

I've been using one since ca. 1978. Still use it in one of the hifis in the basement.
I like the sound. It was $50 new, BTW.

Not an F1+

He didn't say it was an F1+ That's why I asked him.
But yes if it is, it's a great cartridge.

Nowhere on the packaging or cartridge do I see anything other than F1. It's my guess that it was given to me in the middle to late 70s. On the box is listed a price of $75.

Old John

There was the F1 and F1+. Same units from the production line just not as tight in the tolerances in meeting the spec of the F1+. Same stylus can be used.

The Grado works

Don't really know enough to know whether or not it is a good match, but I mounted the F1 on a Sony PS-T3 TT and it sounds great to me.
Thanks for all the information. I'll consider a new stylus soon.

Old John

Grado F1

Where would a Grado F3+ stand in the pecking order of Grado cartridges? It came with a Sony PS-X5 I recently purchased and looks and sounds fine with probably very low hours.

Where would a Grado F3+ stand in the pecking order of Grado cartridges? It came with a Sony PS-X5 I recently purchased and looks and sounds fine with probably very low hours.

According to the Grado spec sheet i have for my F3+ there are 3 above it.
In order
1 F1+ F2+ G1+.
The F1+ and the G1+ took a special Grado stylus.
The F2+ took a .6X.7 stylus and the F3+ took a .3x.7 stylus.
I'd say the Grado F3+ would fall somewhere say along the lines of an AT12XE or AT13E. I do remember back in the early 80's when i used mine it did sound good, that's why I kept it all these years.

Grado F3+

Thanks Stanton 681EEES for the info on the Grado F3+, I couldn't find any listing in my old Audio Annuals. The Sony PS-X5 will be going to my neice who is interested in starting a vinyl system. Her dad forsaked vinyl for cable tv music and a cheapo dvd/cd player, his idea of no fuss/no muss/no expense. Family fued aside I don't want her to get off on the wrong foot with vinyl and the choice of cartridges to me will make a big difference. I'm going to listen to the Grado F3+ a little more, another option is installing a Stanton 681EEE whch I have found to be a very nice sounding cartridge and probably very competitive with the Grado F3+ back in the 1970s-1980s.

Back
Top Bottom