Grado SR60 - Dead Element?

sjfloat

So I was listening to my Grado SR60s and the right side cut out. I opened the shell and found that I have continuity from the jack to terminals in the shell (so, not cabling). I bought these used from a guy on eBay a while back and I believe that they're the original version, i.e. no 'i' or 'e'. The inside of the shell doesn't look like the shots I see of people modding them.

Is it worth trying to chase down a replacement driver? Should I call it quits and just get another pair?

Attachments

• grado-interior.jpg
    grado-interior.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 18
I communicated with Grado through their 'Contact' link. The emailed me back the next day. They'll service them for $35.00.

So, I can get my (very) old ones fixed for $35.00 plus one-way shipping or get a new pair of 'e's for $79.00 shipped (and probably more quickly).

What would you Grado fans do in this situation? Are the 'e's significantly better than the originals?

Shipping would probably be another $15 so for $29 more you get a new set. Fixing them should be sufficient but the new driver will take a bit to break in. How are the cushions?

Not to mentioned the hassle.

Original pads are more or less intact, but I've bought a few alternates (which could be used with new ones as well).

I wonder what driver they'll replace the bad one with, legacy? If they go with new, I assume they'd have to replace both. I guess these are questions for Grado support.

I wonder what driver they'll replace the bad one with, legacy? If they go with new, I assume they'd have to replace both. I guess these are questions for Grado support.

My son sent in a set for an issue with one of the wires. When he got them back he said they'd basically been rebuilt and refurbished. From his perspective he felt like he got more than he expected.

When I sent mine in a few years back (weak, distorted sound), they replaced both drivers and returned them. They sounded better than ever, and I asked Grado if they used drivers from later models. They said "no" - they installed original model drivers. The current $35 price is a little higher than what I paid back then, but I would do it for $35. They didn't ask or seem to care if I was the original owner not.

Back
Top Bottom