Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 launched

Wow, really? You have to bend the case with a screw driver to make it sit flat? That can't be good.

Dude, Re-read the post. This is about the screw hole alignment in the case. Get a grip. It's OK. BTW, have you bought one?

Mine sits flat straight out of the box for the record.

This other issue that confused you is something that happens with almost every other larger receiver most of us have owned. The difference is that the other, larger receivers are #1 just that, larger parts everywhere. This DAC is smaller, has thicker material, more expensive material (aluminum) and tighter tolerances too believe it or not! For those same reasons, everything is amplified regarding the holes and the screws.

A 22" wide 16" deep 20 guage piece of sheet metal is much more forgiving than a 6" wide, 4" deep 1/16" thick piece of aluminum with tighter tolerance through holes.

Think about it.

And No, I don't work for this guy and frankly have never even been to his website before last week. It was b/c of a friends endorsement that I bought it. (Vince I know you're lurking out there, sign up you cheap ass!) Anyway, as it pertains to sonics and never having owned a DAC before, I couldn't be happier at this price point. It's warmed up my hard drive based stuff and some analog too (or so it seems). I have a LGBD590 which has a 250 gb hard drive. I've been ripping discs to it just to play, (I have a SlimServer too) and it's taken that clinical sound out of it entirely. Hell I'm running Boston T-1000's with this set-up too. I really like it so far. I will say that even that crappy U2 Joshua Tree sounds better!

Regardless of the friggin screws or any sort of short foot. Hell the PS Audio 4.5 doesn't sit flat either!

Family Room set-up is:
Musical Design D-140 amp with upgraded PS
PS Audio 4.5 Passive Pre
Grant Fidelity DAC-11 DAC
Oppo Digital DV970HD (for SACD's and CD's)
LG BD-590 BD player
AR TT with Denon 103R cart
Boston T-1000 speakers
ADS L-1290 (alternates)
----------------------------------------
Upstairs system is:
NaK PA-7
Nak CA-5 pre
NaK OMS-7 CD player
NaK STS-7 Tuner
Technics SL-1300 TT with Ortofon 2M Blue Cart
Frazier Mark VI A-Speakers
ADS L-810 B-Speakers
---------------------------------
HT Set-up is:
Outlaw 990 Pre
Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp
Sony RCD-W500C CD Rec/Chgr
Sony MDS-JE510 MD Player
Sony BDP S570 BD Player
Frazier Mark IV Front Speakers
Klipsch KVI Center
Frazier Rear Surrounds (angled Montes wi Horns)
-----------------------------
And about 100 other pieces of gear to choose from!
My kids have vintage set ups as well.

Last edited:
Note in this pic that I've already switched the voltage to 110. There are some "Special Idiots" that didn't see this right away.

Yeah I actually did see it when I put the thing into my system. Saw it was set to 220 and set it to 110.

I may have to cave and buy one of these. I was holding out for a silver face. But I want one. What are the sonic impressions guys?

Now that I've done some serious listening one thing really stands out; it's detailed, very detailed. Apparently I've never heard what a cd should sound like and I didn't know there was that much information on them. The tube does help out a bit with the digital harshness. For low level listening it's great as you can hear everything and I mean everything. Only downside is if you've got a poorly recorded cd that will show up as well. I do know I'm very happy with mine as it took my cd playback to a new and better level.

"
(Vince I know you're lurking out there, sign up you cheap ass!)"

Behave yourself Mark, you know I pulled the trigger on this thing the same day you did. :dunno:

I just need to figure out how to get the %$#^ thing delivered, as I sent it to an address that I'm never at during business hours. :scratch2: Hopefully I get to open mine today.

Has anyone tried using a 600 ohm headphone like the Beyerdynamic DT 990? I am curious to know how well the GF Dac-11 can drive high-impedance headphones.

I tried to follow the flow chart, but a question. The headphone amp is fed the tube signal right? Or does it go through the op amp?

Looks like you need to use an RCA to 1/4 adaptor to get the tube output to phones.

now one of my own.

does it handle mp3 files thru the USB, is it an mp3 decoder?

Thinking of plugging it into my i12 integrated, my TV only has digital out.

can you point me to a thread for using USB out on a laptop, IBM thinkpad running XP.

Looks like you need to use an RCA to 1/4 adaptor to get the tube output to phones.

now one of my own.

does it handle mp3 files thru the USB, is it an mp3 decoder?

Thinking of plugging it into my i12 integrated, my TV only has digital out.

can you point me to a thread for using USB out on a laptop, IBM thinkpad running XP.

The USB is to act as the interface between your computer and the DAC. Your computer, in this case the IBM thinkpad, will decode the mp3 via a media player. The DAC will just act as an external sound card.

lol. I see now that I misread the original description of the headphone amp section. I assumed the amp would be processed through the tube. I see now that this is not the case. funny, I thought I was listening to the tube this whole time. I'll have to try their method with the rca cable from the tube output.

QUESTION:

in order to further burn in the unit, and the tube specifically, do you have to have sound coming out of the "tube out"? I have been burning the unit in with headphones in the front port only the whole time. Recently realizing that the HP jack does not go through the tube, should I be burning in the tube by connecting the headphones to the "tube out"?

I would say yes, besides it having the potential to sound better (being a tube guy) on the tube output, the headphone jack is shutting off signal to the tube stage, so it is just idling along, it will still burn in but I prefer to burn in with music playing in the circuit, kind of like a car, not really breaking it in if left running on in the driveway.

It already has 50 hours of playtime in the factory, so another 50 to 75 hours is all it needs, just loop a CD to it and leave it on for a few days if in a rush, I think many like to hear the break in process.

Cheers,
Ian

I would say yes, besides it having the potential to sound better (being a tube guy) on the tube output, the headphone jack is shutting off signal to the tube stage, so it is just idling along, it will still burn in but I prefer to burn in with music playing in the circuit, kind of like a car, not really breaking it in if left running on in the driveway.

It already has 50 hours of playtime in the factory, so another 50 to 75 hours is all it needs, just loop a CD to it and leave it on for a few days if in a rush, I think many like to hear the break in process.

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks Ian, thats what I needed.

No, you can only get RCA analog from a dock station into the TubeDAC and just about every USB DAC out there. You need a special interface from that and there is a handful of companies out there doing that, but a but pricey relative to the price of a netbook used as your Media Server. USB on an iWhatever is for file transfers, not USB digital audio

Use the iWhatever for what is good for, portable on the go listening. Most have their music library on a computer, use your computer or a dedicated netbook for high-end audio and even background listening when you can.

Cheers,
Ian

Would I be able to connect one with an iphone dock via USB?

There are a few docks such as a Pure I-20 which would take the digital signal from the iPhone which would allow you to use the optical or coax inputs, but not USB. On my Marantz AVR I can plug in an iPhone and play through the USB, but the TubeDAC has a different implementation. The connectors are also different. Type B connectors are for computer connections and Type A are for accessories. The Tube DAC has Type B connections.

This will be my next audio purchase, so I'm anxious to read all I can about this DAC. I haven't seen much in the way of independent reviews. Are there any?

Back
Top Bottom