Grateful Dead spins:

OK i have on a 4TB drive. Computer showing 3.63 TB (formatted) with 1.95 TB free (It looks like a little over 2, but i'm shot right now. Please double check my math) Ok looks like 2 TB might cover this fine.

Regarding the Forum shows in '89; I was at there. My first Wharf Rat shows. Spencer Davis sat in one of the shows. Exposed to Built To Last tunes for first time. Great run. When traveling last week the car had Sirrus (sp) radio and listened to GD Channel. Caught a tasty '74 show. Also heard Dead and Friends with John Maher (sp). I was very unimpressed with his playing. Wasn't expecting "Jerry" but his playing was pretty stale. Don't know what the excitement is about. Just my opinion.

John Maher (sp). I was very unimpressed with his playing. Wasn't expecting "Jerry" but his playing was pretty stale. Don't know what the excitement is about. Just my opinion.

WOW! never heard this before. He gave life and vitality to many otherwise mundane shows.

Without him I think they'd have faded away.

Grateful Dead
June 4, 1978
Campus Stadium, University Of California
Santa Barbara, CA

Recording Info:
SBD (Betty's Recording Mix) -> Master Cassette (Maxell UD C-90) -> Dat (44.1k)

Transfer Info:
Dat (Sony R500) -> VXPocket v2 -> Samplitude Professional v10.1 ->
Adobe Audition v1.5 -> FLAC

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
September 6, 2008

Patch Info:
SBD (Healy's House Mix) -> Master Cassette -> Cassette -> Dat (48k) supplies:
Tennessee Jed (complete track)

--Set 1--
101-d1t01 - Bertha ->
102-d1t02 - Good Lovin'
103-d1t03 - Dire Wolf
104-d1t04 - Me & My Uncle ->
105-d1t05 - Big River
106-d1t06 - Brown Eyed Women
107-d1t07 - Looks Like Rain
108-d1t08 - Tennessee Jed
109-d1t09 - Jack Straw

--Set 2--
201-d1t10 - Samson And Delilah
202-d1t11 - Ship of Fools
203-d2t01 - Estimated Prophet ->
204-d2t02 - Eyes of the World ->
205-d2t03 - Drums ->
206-d2t04 - Space ->
207-d2t05 - Not Fade Away ->
208-d2t06 - Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad ->
209-d2t07 - Around & Around

--Encore--
210-d2t08 - U.S. Blues
211-d2t09 - Sugar Magnolia

Dead And Company
Madison Square Garden New York 11/07/2015 Webcast

watched last night

MI0001854864.jpg

Grateful Dead
One from the Vault

Didn't know the Princeton '71 was on disc now, 1971 was a rocking year. Could be Pig's best Good Lovin' ever.
The GAMH disc, for me, is the cleanest sounding disc I ever bought. Those of you who buy shows, what are some of the better sounding ones? Seems like GAMH has a more analog sound (air, depth, etc.) that most of the Dick's I have. Thanks.

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-11.fob.french.35158.sbeok.flac24
https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-11.fob.french.sirmick.76125.sbeok.flac16

Grateful Dead Live at Great Western Forum on 1989-02-11

Set 1

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
New Minglewood Blues
Candyman
Big River
Built To Last
Queen Jane Approximately
We Can Run
Bird Song

Set 2

China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider ->
Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
Standing On The Moon
Estimated Prophet ->
I Will Take You Home ->
Drums* ->
Space ->
Eyes Of The World** ->
I Need A Miracle ->
Black Peter ->
Turn On Your Lovelight
Encore
Box Of Rain

Collection GratefulDead
Band/Artist Grateful Dead
Resource DeadLists Project
Venue Great Western Forum
Location Inglewood, CA

Source
Set one: Sennheiser MKE2002 HRTF headband -> Sony TC-D5M @ 6'5" by Mike French
Set two; ~ Schoeps cmc?? cards (caps on bodies, cardioids) ORTF @ 6'4" covered by the Mike Stand (MF) at eye level. ~ Oade pre (m118 ?) -> Sony PCM processor->beta, line out (Sean Weber Small rig) -> Sony TC-D5M master by Mike French
LineageSony TC-D5M master deck w/ master, no n.r. -> Tascam DVRA1000 DSD recorder in high-res pcm mode, 24/96 by Mike French

Notes
*with Airto Moreira, Flora Purim and Diana Moreira
These were exceedingly loud concerts. So loud that our clothes were pinned to us for all 3 nights of the shows. We experienced brickwalling to a degree, and it is present in the first set of the show, as well as the second set, but not as apparent. It was so loud that even after realizing that we were brickwalling the hrtf rig, and changing to the oade/schoeps ortf rig that was also present, even the oade/schoeps rig experienced some brickwalling, as can be heard. None of it is overbearing. Perhaps it might be more palettable in knowing that it could not be avoided in this instance, even by the best of rigs. It was just an incredibly loud series of concerts.All three nights of this run are from the exact same spot, as marked by a piece of gaffers tape on the vinyl floor covering. The second run of shows later in this year were also from this same spot. So all 6 shows of the '89 Dead Forum runs are from the same spot, the Impact Zone (fob/dfc)There were dead crew members in the light rack looking for, pointing out, and shutting down FOB tapers during this run of shows.enjoy!peace and wellness to you and yours

Mike

additional notes:
- downsampled to 16/44.1 using Adobe Audition 1.5, dithered with iZotope Ozone. New flacs, etc created. Apart from retracking to fit on 3 discs, the only other change made was to discard most of the silence at the end of d3t07.
- there is a sub-second gap between d1t05-06, the latter track is slightly clipped at the start, just a couple of notes missing..

I was too!

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-12-08.fob.french.76251.sbeok.flac16
https://archive.org/details/gd1989-12-08.fob.french.35372.sbeok.flac24

Grateful Dead
December 08, 1989

The Fabulous Forum (Great Western Forum to the non-locals)
mInglewood, CA

Ambient recording master by Mike French
From the Impact Zone, fob/dfc (same spot as entire 02-89 run, and entire 12-89 run)
Sennheiser MKE2002 omni's HRTF stealth stereo -> Sony TC-D5M

to 24/96 pcm:
Sony TC-D5M and cassette master, no n.r. -> Tascam DVRA1000 in pcm mode @24/96
to flac:
Tascam DVRA1000 in usb2.0 mode, master disc file import -> Mac G4 OS-X Tiger. Flac compression (6/8) by xACT by Scott Brown

set one / disc 1.2:

01) audience in,....
02) LTGTR>
03) Stranger,
04) Stagger Lee,
05) BIODTL,
06) Ramble On,
07) Cassidy,
08) Blow Away

set two / disc 2.2:

01) audience in,....
02) Help>
03) Slipknot>
04) Franklin's,
05) L. L. Rain>
06) He's Gone>
07) Drumz>
08) Space>
09) Take You Home>
10) Other One>
11) Wharf Rat>
12) Tossin Rocks>
13) NFA
14) E: U. S. Blues
"Other One" teases before and after "Drumz"

enjoy!

Peace and wellness to you and yours

Mike

1979-08-31 Civic Center - Glens Falls, NY

The Promised Land
Dire Wolf
Cassidy
Loser
El Paso
Peggy-O
Minglewood Blues
Easy to Love You
Althea
Lost Sailor
Saint of Circumstance
Deal

Set 2
Shakedown Street
Greatest Story Ever Told
Ship of Fools
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World
Drums
Not Fade Away
Black Peter

Around and Around

there is a school of thought that everyone does Dylan better than Dylan.;)
Is that like one of those schools where you can mail order a "diploma"?, lol.

Seriously, though, one of the good things about Dylan is that he's such a great songwriter that even if one doesn't care for him they'll most likely still find a few of his tunes done by others that they'll enjoy.

I went on a bit of a Dylan covers binge a few years ago. There's SO much out there.
I listened to a Chris Smither album yesterday that had a cover of It Takes A Lot To Laugh on it, actually.

I'm not the biggest Dead fan, but I gave that Garcia/Grisman Not For Kids Only album a spin last week.

Listened to this show a couple of weekends ago, too;
http://www.ckua.com/programs/dead-ends-detours/
I don't make a habit of tuning into it, but it seems like a listen to that show quite often. It usually has pretty good flow for my tastes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom