Great "Every Day Carry" knives

I don't recall exact details... but it is Crucible CPM154CM stainless steel. I've been using them steady for a few years and still haven't had to sharpen them.
Here they are without handles. My EDC on bottom has a 3 1/4" blade
heat_treated.jpg

Here is his Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Marshall-Hall-Knives-106102362776875/

Thanks for posting that picture. It's cool to see the the knives in their "raw" state.

-Dave

Some years back I was going through airport security when they ran my bag through the x-ray a couple times. Knew something was up.

Pulled me and my bag off to the side and they commenced to go through every nook and cranny. I asked if there was something specific they were looking for, as maybe I could direct them to the item. The guy just kept searching without reply.

After about the 3rd time through the guy utters "Ahhh HAAA" and his hand emerges with a .223 round. "Oh shit, why is that in there?", I think to myself. Figured that would get me a trip to the back room. But, instead, he just asked me a few questions, opened a drawer and dropped in the round, then sent me on my way.

(slight off-topic re knives but relevant to above-quoted post of whoaru99):

Last time I travelled from the states to Europe, I was wearing one of my old Army Air Force vests. Turns out it was the one that I happened to wear when visiting shooting ranges around Santa Barbara. Rather unbelievably, I made a trip through the airport @ SB, LAX, and into Luxembourg w/ two .357 "bear load" rounds in one of the vest's pockets (it has ~20 or so of 'em). And so a couple of years later those two .357 rounds are here, with me, in France, standing side by side in a wardrobe cabinet. Too bad the Python wasn't also squirrled away in a forgotten pocket.

Back to knives: I'm regularly finding listings of automatic-opening knives, including French and Italian classics from the 60s, in an online selling service called "Leboncoin", which is sorta like France's version of CL.

This is about all the knives I have left.
I've lost SO many knives over the years its laughable.
At least half a dozen swiss knives and a dozen clip knives.
Also a HUGE fan of old Leatherman's and Gerber multi tools.
I got this Leatherman and Swiss knife @1990 and both went everywhere with me for decades, including several years in the military and field use.
The only thing that ever messed my Leatherman up on was blunting the cutter on concertina wire but it ground out.
Even in salt water nothing rusted, not even the file.
I use it every day in a belt pouch as a mantenance man. Handiest invention ever.
The Victorinox was bought in MA in 1990 on a cross country road trip.
It never leaves the house anymore for fears of losing it too.
It's still used every day still for something or other.
Clip knives I can;t get attached to anymore but super handy for opening, cutting and popping beer tops.
The knife i REALLY miss and lost was a Schrade 3 blade pocket knife with the sheeffoot blade, wood sides, stainless ends and a sturdy build.
My Grandpa had one for years, I inhereted it and lost it like another pr of sunglasses last year. :confused:
knives.jpg

one of these 3 are with me daily. My early 90s Leatherman, my 2008 Buck custom shop 110, and my 2010 Marshall Hall custom.
20170715_edc.jpg

The Buck was a Christmas gift from the wife, she has had a habit of taking possession of my knives, so had me one made that read "Handsoff James Only", the MHK was built to my specs, I wanted a thick, tall, and stubby blade with a 3/4 size handle. Short enough to be legal most everywhere and strong.

Marshall also made me a pair of His & Hers Chef's knives. He had a killer design for the regular one, I had him scale the second one down to match my wife's hand. I carry the other 3, but these I use significantly more :)
chef_knives-01.jpg

My Mother once busted off the tip on my Father's early early 70's model Buck like that hacking up frozen chocolate!!

Back to knives: I'm regularly finding listings of automatic-opening knives, including French and Italian classics from the 60s, in an online selling service called "Leboncoin", which is sorta like France's version of CL.
What's your opinion of the Laguiole Forge pocket and wine knives? I think they are beautiful.

My Mother once busted off the tip on my Father's early early 70's model Buck like that hacking up frozen chocolate!!

:) my mother wasn't so lucky, she ended up stabbing herself in the hand cutting off a piece of frozen Charleston Chew.

I love my Buck for sentimental reasons, but it is a bit heavy and long for my needs as an EDC. It lives in my music room on the desk most of the time.

My Craftsman "Old Timer" found its way into the hands of a young man, almost 15, the son of my very good friend. The knife originally was given to me by my father, when I was about 10 or 11. This young man is a worthy recipient of this significant-to-me, though otherwise ordinary, knife. We were golfing, and came upon a box turtle, beside a pond, just in front of the teebox. Some inconsiderate bastard had thrown the plastic from his 6-pack of beer, where it was found by the hapless turtle. Poor fellow managed to get it looped around his neck, and front leg, and could not get free. I pulled out my trusted knife, and with two quick flicks of the sheepsfoot blade, the offending litter was removed, and the little guy was free. My young friend was pleased, but amazed. "You carry a knife? All the time?" I told him that, as a young boy, I watched my father use his own well-worn folder for everything and anything, and that he gave me this knife, when I was young. I carried that knife for more than fifty years. He realized how much it meant to me, and his jaw fell open when I handed it to him, and said, "This knife has served me well for as long as I can remember. Now, it is yours. Respect it, and it will serve you well." His eyes were wide, and he looked like he just pulled Excalibur from its stone. When we got back to his house, his father tried to make him give it back to me. The young man would not. He said, "Uncle Ernie gave me this knife, that he got from his father. He honours me with the gift. My duty is to honour him by keeping it safe, and sharp, hopefully for another 50 years, or more." My friend, a native Serb, looked at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, "I have been worried that my son was too Canadian, but I see that he understands about honour. Truly, he has a Serbian heart. Thank you for helping me see that."

When I left their house, the young man shook my hand firmly, and looked in my eyes, while he thanked me. He understands, and so do I.

Got a Mini-Griptilian today, as a replacement EDC. It has a very good 'feel', and I think I'm going to like it. I expect it will outlive me. Mini-grip.jpg (Borrowed image from web.)

I used to carry a full size Grip but it now needs to be sharpened by a pro as I've touched it up a few times myself.

I've been carrying a cheap little Kershaw "Crown" and it's surprisingly good for the price. Only complaints: 1) I've actually bought four of them (one for me, one that was defective, then later one for SWMBO and one as a backup) and one of them was defective. However, the cost was less than half of one Griptilian, so there's that. 2) The one I'm carrying, there's a little nick in the micarta. On the flip side, I have determined that I like micarta or G2 (my Emerson CQC-7) grips better than the plastic used for the Griptilian. Just MHO.

If I ever step up my EDC game I will probably get another Griptilian with a better steel for the blade and then have some custom Micarta scales made. Or I'll get myself a Wilson Combat ELC with cocobolo scales... now there's a purty knife. I'd feel bad banging that up though.

The handle on mine is the basic glass-filled nylon. The material and texture fit my hand nicely. The upscale G10 seemed a little slick to me. I looked at a Crown, but there was a bit of play in the pivot. I asked to see another sample, but they had only the one. This blade is CPM-20CV steel, and is supposed to hold its edge well. I guess I'll find out. Otherwise, I like the fit and finish, and how it feels in my hand. I looked at several Spydercos, a few ZTs, some Bucks, and several Benchmades, of various styles. I kept coming back to this one.

My Craftsman "Old Timer" found its way into the hands of a young man, almost 15, the son of my very good friend. The knife originally was given to me by my father, when I was about 10 or 11. This young man is a worthy recipient of this significant-to-me, though otherwise ordinary, knife. We were golfing, and came upon a box turtle, beside a pond, just in front of the teebox. Some inconsiderate bastard had thrown the plastic from his 6-pack of beer, where it was found by the hapless turtle. Poor fellow managed to get it looped around his neck, and front leg, and could not get free. I pulled out my trusted knife, and with two quick flicks of the sheepsfoot blade, the offending litter was removed, and the little guy was free. My young friend was pleased, but amazed. "You carry a knife? All the time?" I told him that, as a young boy, I watched my father use his own well-worn folder for everything and anything, and that he gave me this knife, when I was young. I carried that knife for more than fifty years. He realized how much it meant to me, and his jaw fell open when I handed it to him, and said, "This knife has served me well for as long as I can remember. Now, it is yours. Respect it, and it will serve you well." His eyes were wide, and he looked like he just pulled Excalibur from its stone. When we got back to his house, his father tried to make him give it back to me. The young man would not. He said, "Uncle Ernie gave me this knife, that he got from his father. He honours me with the gift. My duty is to honour him by keeping it safe, and sharp, hopefully for another 50 years, or more." My friend, a native Serb, looked at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, "I have been worried that my son was too Canadian, but I see that he understands about honour. Truly, he has a Serbian heart. Thank you for helping me see that."

When I left their house, the young man shook my hand firmly, and looked in my eyes, while he thanked me. He understands, and so do I.

Got a Mini-Griptilian today, as a replacement EDC. It has a very good 'feel', and I think I'm going to like it. I expect it will outlive me. View attachment 981615 (Borrowed image from web.)

That`s awesome !
"Paying it forward" is, to me, a big part of "the knife tradition"...over the past 40+ years, I have gifted probably 3 dozen knives to worthy recipients....many SAKs, Gerber LSTs, Buck 110 & 112, and Sharp Finger (fixed blades). Special people get special knives, like the McCusta Damascus folder I gave to a lifelong friend several years back.

Nothing so grand has ever graced my hand. Still, that old Craftsman was priceless to me, an old friend. Now, a new head, and hand, and heart, will treasure it, hopefully long after I shuffle off. I have every confidence.

I think my father would approve.

Nothing so grand has ever graced my hand. Still, that old Craftsman was priceless to me, an old friend. Now, a new head, and hand, and heart, will treasure it, hopefully long after I shuffle off. I have every confidence.

I think my father would approve.

A Griptilian is a fine knife. I have a lot of respect for the "axis lock" as it neatly solves the problem of having your hands in the path of the closing blade that you have with lockbacks and frame locks. It may not be the sexiest knife out there, but well cared for I don't doubt it'll be still around in another 50 years.

I really do need to get mine sharpened. Thanks for reminding me.

Back
Top Bottom