Great Lost Bands 1968 - 74

Great walk down memory lane! How about Sir Lord Baltimore from Brooklyn?

Ray

And their masterpiece, "Master Heartache", an all-time great song.

As for Quicksilver Messenger Service, it's almost as if there were two bands: one was the QMS aiming for the top 40 with songs like "What About Me?". But the other was the QMS that produced "Mona" , "Maiden of the Cancer Moon", the intro to "Who Do You Love", or "Dino's Song". It's the latter that's the forgotten band.

I remember getting my impression of Quicksilver from the lame local FM stations. It was top-40 Quicksilver. Yawn. Then I listened to a station from NYC in my uncle's house in Mount Kisco, and on came "Mona". What a revelation! I had to get their Happy Trails LP.

Last edited:
A few more...
Artful Dodger
The Numbers Band
Gary Wright
Suzi Quatro
Starz
Jim Carroll Band
Audience
Damnation of Adam Blessing

Last edited:
Here's some:

Badger
Taste (Rory Gallagher!!!)
Bloodwyn Pig
The Frost
Savage Grace
Killing Floor
Slade
James Gang
Blue Cheer

Last edited:
Well I'm a stone's throw from Lansing, Michigan and we have had some great talent from around here.

If you take Detroit out of the equation then the closest to Lansing would be...
The Verve Pipe, Brownsville Station (Smokin in the Boys Room), Sponge.

A bit on the Detroit garage band scene...

Detroit was a center of the 1960s garage rock scene, with such legendary bands as The Amboy Dukes (featuring guitarist Ted Nugent), The Bob Seger System, ? and the Mysterians, the MC5, and Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels. In the 1970s, Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, and Grand Funk Railroad (from Flint, Michigan) were popular rock stars. Kid Rock, Madonna,The White Stripes, etc...and all of the Motown stars too!

Where did King Useniewicz And The Useniewicztones fit in the Detroit scene? Was there a sub-category for Hamtramk bands?

Badfinger. They made some of the very best pop/rock music of the early '70s. When Pete Ham committed suicide in 1975, it was pretty much the end of the band (though they made two albums without him), but for a few years they were one of the best rock bands extant.

Garagehangover.com/ is the place to go if you really want "obscure." Its an amazing site with TONS of great free music. There is a huge difference between obscure and "obscure to most music lovers who frequent Starbucks." Heck, 99.9% of the USA have no idea who Captain Beefheart is...or have ever heard a single complete Frank Zappa lp. Here are a few 60s bands that come to mind that are both relatively obscure AND sound great to my ears:
The Remains (THE best Boston group until The Modern Lovers popped up)
The Rationals (Detroit greatness)
The Action (UK band produced by George Martin...astounding mod songs)
Les Surfs (French pop sung by Philipino midgets...simply wonderful)
Los Mockers (groovy South American group)
The Marmalade (I'm not a huge psych fan, but I like this British group)
Master's Apprentice (Aussie coolness)
Anybody who loves this kind of music must be aimed at EVERY issue of UGLY THINGS...a labour of love magazine available at great music stores or by mail.

All these many years laster and Urchinn's lits is STILL an thing of beauty and obscurity despite the interweb's -- and Youtube's -- incredible reach. Make a note of the @Urchinn list @xrayspex78.

^^ wow, never thought i'd be getting back into the obscure private PSYCH and "real people" rekkids again. Goes to show you don't ever know, so play them cards easy and play 'em slow...

All these many years laster and Urchinn's lits is STILL an thing of beauty and obscurity despite the interweb's -- and Youtube's -- incredible reach. Make a note of the @Urchinn list @xrayspex78.

Clipped into notes. Garagehangover saved to favorites. There is much exploring to do. I really enjoy what Urchinn said too!! Tons of albums saved to youtube as well.

Clipped into notes. Garagehangover saved to favorites. There is much exploring to do. I really enjoy what Urchinn said too!! Tons of albums saved to youtube as well.

Brian,

Get thee to exploring the great sounds these and the many other bands @ the other PSYCH speciality threads have to offer.

Ten Years After

King Crimson, lineup 1 (1968-1969)

King Crimson, lineup 2 (1971-1972)

King Crimson, lineup 3 (mid-1972-1974)

NONE of those are "Lost bands" or "Underground bands" if you are older than your 40s ...

Heck, Ten Years After - was almost mainstream after woodstock made them famous!
[RIP Alvin Lee ...! Mar 2013]

Dan Hicks and his Hotlicks

And poor Dan Hicks actually died a few years back - [Feb 2016]
he played around here every year or so, but I never quite made it to a show ...!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom