Great Lost Bands 1968 - 74

Back in the days when giants roamed the Earth, there were some great bands that disappeared before their time. The provided the soundtrack to many an 11th grade makeout party with wine, liquor and....*gasp*....weed, Indian prints hanging on basement the walls, colored lights and parents gone for the weekend.

There "FM only" bands like The Blues Project, the first Blood Sweat And Tears with Al Kooper, Love, Thunderclap Newman, Pearls Before Swine, Canned Heat and others. Now they're gone and just the mention of them makes my old bones creak.

Cream, the Stones, Doors and Hendrix were played but they were too successful for the underground designation. Steve Miller wasn't underground, but hip enough that he got his spins before he became mainstream.

Can anyone else call to mind any more of these outfits? I've got Gram Parsons, the Small Faces, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Hot Tuna, but anything with Rod Stewart doesn't make the cut. Blue Cheer didn't ring true in the ears of the girls, but every now and then someone would put on Buffalo Springfield.

I know I'm forgetting dozens.

Can we really call "Buffalo Springfield" a lost band, when two of its five freed-up members (Stephen Stills and Neil Young) went into "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young" and two others of the five (Ritchie Furay and Jim Messina) helped start Poco?

A lesser-known Chicago band, memorable to anyone who knew some of their records or saw their incredible performances, was Rotary Connection.

^^^^
Gayle McCormick. Hubba-hubba. I wouldn't eject Cold Blood's Lydia Pense from the ol' Serta for munching saltines, either.

Could we add Music Machine?
The album "Turn On" was great with "Talk, Talk" getting a lot of air play. I also liked their version of "Hey Joe".

Detroit used to have a metro population of like ten bazillion and was the center of the known universe -

I worked with a guy who grew up in Detroit in the late 60's and 70's. He would tell me stories about seeing so many of the great artists of the day, mostly in nightclubs. His tastes ran all over the place, from blues to hard rock, but jazz seemed to be his favorite. Most people I talk music to I can dazzle with accounts of live shows, not this guy. RIP brother John.

Teddy and the pandas
t97572428-i698010624_s400.jpg

Attachments

• t97572428-i698010624_s400.jpg
    t97572428-i698010624_s400.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
How about Syndicate of Sound,,, The Zombies,,, Count Five,,, Swingin Medallions (altho these last few may be too early for this poll),,,
and my all time favorite band that I don't believe ever got the air time they deserved,,, Traffic...

Back
Top Bottom