Great pickups for hollow body?...

ooba tooba

I am leaning toward Gibson 57 classic and classic plus for my '65 Norma. Anyone have these? Opinions? Thanks. Think I will be getting Fender cts 500k pots as well. Hollow body guys chime in!
IMG_2771.JPG

I like what they did for this fellas sound. I will definitely look into what you have suggested as well. I do like a nice deep tone but want to rock out a bit with it too with some tube breakup

We'll shoot... I like both of those. Maybe I should just get more guitars:cool:
LOL!
Those are pretty unique pickups is there a major problem with them?
If so you can always have them rewound or recharged if they have lost their gauss.
Maybe the pots and input jack could use a good cleaning & lubrication also check for weak caps.
I would be more inclined to try and keep the guitar as original as possible..
But do what makes you happy!
Cheers
PQ

PS..Check out these links
http://www.buckcannon.com
http://www.lutherleepickups.com/lutherleepickups/rewinding_&_repair.html

I would keep it as is, Funky!

Yours appears to be an unmolested original? That is worth preserving, and adding different or as some call them upgraded pickups, pots, wire harness etc will suck all the character and charm out of it. Unless you have the ability and patience to fish the electronics in and out of a hollwbody guitar the time and labor won't be cheap and then you might not care for the change or changes. Also completely hollow guitars are very tricky to play at stage level especially with hotter pickups, Humbuckers, P-90's and all like to create body resonant feedback. There are better and easier guitars to swap stuff around with and you won't find many left like this. Besides I think it might be tough to find a direct fit replacement for those, so more added modifying- buggerin'.

Get a volt meter and check the ohms (impedance) of your pickups for a baseline idea to see where these are.

Thanks for the suggestions and links. They sound ok to me, even pretty good with some tube breakup, but I feel it needs a little more clarity and separation while playing clean. I am a fan of keeping things original when possible. I am going to try new pots and jack, and then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom