Greetings from Portland, OR

Guest133

Hello, all! I've been interested in audio for about 50 years, including an original AR turntable bought during college years. About 15 years ago, when I had few records left after many moves, I decided to concentrate on a digital system as nice sounding as my budget would allow. My current system is file-based digital. It sounds good to me and can play the many new releases that will never appear on LP.

My musical interests are mostly classical, jazz, and bluegrass/old time. If I were into pop/rock/etc., I'd be ready to shoot myself, given the overcompression in wide use today and resulting dynamic range of about 3 dB.

In audio, I seem to be a bit of a contrarian. I prefer solid-state gear (but not every piece made); I don't find fundamental flaws in digital sound; I think recording and mastering techniques are way more important than file format; and I'd rather spend my effort on improving room acoustics than on expensive cables, footers, crystals, etc. Despite that, I have heard systems of all kinds that have been quite engaging: whether tube, SS, vinyl, optical disc, streaming, or whatever. There are different ways to find audio satisfaction.

I'm the current lead organizer of the Portland Audio Club, open to all who care to join.

Mike

Welcome aboard! Wish there was a Portland Audio Club when I lived there years ago...

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes! And happy new year! I am glad to have found AK, which seems like a really congenial forum.

@darkblue94 @Fitero @Yamaki @Bucky Badger : No pressure or expectations, but here's the link for the Portland Audio Club . When I get caught up, I'll post more information in the "Events and Happenings" forum. Until then, if you're interested, please click to read about our scheduled programs, and if they sound good, please join us. We are an extremely friendly and welcoming group, with interests ranging from LPs played on 1970s gear to high-res digital played on the latest DACs -- and a corresponding range in member systems.

Need I say, PAC is a volunteer organization -- no one makes any money from it. We do it for the love of audio and music and the opportunity to socialize.

I checked out PAC, Mike, and I'll see if I can't come to the swap meet next weekend. I'll bring a friend if he's interested.

I checked out PAC, Mike, and I'll see if I can't come to the swap meet next weekend. I'll bring a friend if he's interested.

I expect to be there. If you are, be sure to find me and say hi. I'll probably open the meeting before turning it over to Richard.

Back
Top Bottom