EPIfan

Hi, everybody. I'm Mike, and I'm in search of a setup that makes music the way I remember hearing it in my 20s. Like a lot of people, I got into audio through hand-me-downs left behind by older siblings who outgrew little portable kid turntables going from grade school to high school and then eventually leaving the house. That's how I got my big sister's old Panasonic Dynamite 8-track player. And then I took a fast food job (Hardee's on the Kansas Turnpike) that gave me my first scratch to pick up refurbished MCS receiver, cassette deck and turntable components at the JC Penney return/distribution center in Olathe, Kansas, to upgrade from the MCS receiver/cassette deck/turntable combo I got as a Christmas present from my parents sometime in the late '70s. I'd shed my components through a series of cross-country moves and let myself get talked into the lie that mp3s were just as good as anything analog or on CD, realized how much less I was enjoying music, and then began putting together component systems again. One of the great things about living where I do is that there are lots of estate sales in the area with good gear. I generally don't find the kind of "Nakamichi Dragon for $10 at Goodwill" deals that taunt us all on the vintage audio gear groups over on Facebook. But I did scoop of a Nakamichi ZX-5 for $60 and some sweet Yamaha monitors for $15/pair, so I guess it's just like in hockey: take enough shots on goal and eventually the puck will find its way into the net. I appreciate all the wisdom I've seen as a lurker on these forums. Maybe one day I'll learn enough about audio to contribute.

Favorite treble track: Smithereens, "Only a Memory," just for that burst of feedback at the start of the song.
Favorite bass track: Led Zeppelin, "Four Sticks"

Living room setup:
Receiver: Denon DRA 395
Turntable: MCS 6603 direct drive
CD player: Sony CDP-360Z 5-disc changer
Speakers: Epicure EPI T/E 100

Bedroom setup:
Receiver: Onkyo TX-904
Cassette deck: Nakamichi LX-5
CD player: Adcom GCD 700
Speakers: Realistic Nova 7b

Seeking advice on:
Restoring a Realistic cassette deck with stuck piano key controls and a broken belt.

... so I guess it's just like in hockey: take enough shots on goal and eventually the puck will find its way into the net.
Not with our Wings lately, I'm afraid. :D (How long before Blashill gets booted, I wonder...)

Back
Top Bottom