Grundig Stereo Mate IV Speaker Upgrade

visman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
OK - so I found these pretty cool Grundig Speakers (on that auction site with local pickup) recently and am now getting around to a full refurbish (finish, cloth and speakers). These date from around 1959 (I believe) and may have had a small tube amp installed inside when new (but long removed from my set). When I took these apart the speakers did not match - with only one original 7"X10" Grundig speaker.

Our TV room furniture is mid-century and I wamt to use these cabinets as my rear surround speakers (with upgraded speakers).

Can anybody recommend some Oval speakers that would work in a surround sound environment?

The cabinets are approx. 31.5" tall 6" wide at the back and 8" wide at the front with a useable depth of 7".

Attachments

• Grundig Stereo Mate IV - pic2.jpg
    Grundig Stereo Mate IV - pic2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Grundig Stereo Mate IV.jpg
    Grundig Stereo Mate IV.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Grundig Stereo Mate IV pic 3.jpg
    Grundig Stereo Mate IV pic 3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Grundig Stereo Mate IV pic4.jpg
    Grundig Stereo Mate IV pic4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 160
If it's a 7x10" opening, you could easily use a pair of 4ohm 6x9 car speakers.

However--my suggestion would be to build a plate that will house a 5.25" or 6" low end driver and a tweeter to fit that opening. Most oval speakers aren't known for great sound reproduction, and given most surround speakers are limited to 80hz the smaller driver wouldn't be much of a limitation.

That's a pretty good idea - there is really a ton of space to put a decent driver and tweeter inside the cabinet :scratch2:.

I think the KEF B139's are a little too wide at 9". I might be able to squeeze in 8" speakers (overall width).

I saw a set just like that a month or so ago at the Pasadena Salvation Army Antique Thrift Store.

I wonder if someone bought them and flipped them?

I reckon the cubic footage at about .76, so you should really have a woofer that is going to function in that size box, whether it be ported or sealed. You could always make a template to fit over the hole from the inside and put a conventional, good-quality 6 in. driver in there. A perfect driver would be a 6 in. Tannoy dual-concentric. What a combination that would be!

These may have come from Pasadena - gentleman I bought them from said he got them at an Estate Sale in San Diego.

Man I sure wish I found them at the Salvation Army - probably would have saved me a few bucks ... I mean a lotta bucks!

Do you have pictures of the drivers? I have a single grundig 7 by 10 that might be a match. It is only gathering dust here.

I have always thought those were cool looking cabinets. Building a pair would make a challenging shop project.

John

John, here are some pictures of my Grundig Driver.

If it matches or is close I would be very appreciative.

By the way - I measure 2.5 ohms (that seems awfully low).

Thanks

Jan

Attachments

• Grundig 5.jpg
    Grundig 5.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Grundig 4.jpg
    Grundig 4.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Grundig 3.jpg
    Grundig 3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Grundig 2.jpg
    Grundig 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Grundig 1.jpg
    Grundig 1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 114
Rolf, thank you - most excellent information.

Did your set have the small tube amp inside?

I am trying to determine if the amp was an option or standard?

Jan

Jan

The extra one that I have is very similar to the one you have pictured. The frame and cone appear to be identical. Unfortunately, the magnet on mine seems to be smaller. You can have it for the price of postage if you want it. I can send you a picture of the speaker if you would like one. I measured the speaker at 3.2 ohms.

Contact me via email if you want the speaker.

John

The speakers should not be that difficult to track down. Just watch the auction sight. I've seen a number of the Grundig and Telefunken drivers for sale and they do not fetch much pricewise.

John - thank you - that is very generous (this site is the best) but I think I will wait and get a matched pair of speakers that will fit.

Rolf - yes for sure mine had the amps at one time (see the pictures) label on bottom of speaker references 120/240V and there are vent openings on the side (covered up with a piece of wood) and mounting blocks and a metal heat shield inside.

Attachments

• Grundig Label.jpg
    Grundig Label.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 59
  • grundig amp mount.jpg
    grundig amp mount.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 70
I'd LOVE to find a pair of those with the amps still in them. :yes: I think I have some nice old drivers from a Stromberg-Carlson console that should fit pretty well. I'm not sure on the Ohms, but can measure if you're interested. Same deal, just cover shipping. I have a thread here somewhere about some smallish Grundigs, and I like them quite a bit. They're on my workbench in the basement, because they sound great, especially for the size. Definitely NOT junk test speakers. ;)

Spaceman - thanks for the offer.

I have my eyes on a pair of Telefunken 7"X10" coming up on that auction site - if that doesn't work out I may take you up on those Stromberg's.

I think these look as cool as can be. I re-stored a pair a while back, and love them. They don't sound at all bad with the original drivers either. Aesthetically, there one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Thats what I needed - motivation!

Those look terrific!

I am curious about your decision to add a terminal in the wood back (I was planning the same but will probably use the bottom plate).

Jan

Back
Top Bottom