Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I guess we're getting sort of jaded on special effects. Ho, hum ...

Remember when THIS was state of the art?

Agreed that Vol 2 leaves a little to be desired. One thing I keep thinking about is that they really didn't know GOTG Vol. 1 was going to be such a hit. I'm not a comic book reader - so I don't know if this has all been scripted out in those. If not, it leaves the studio/director kinda wondering what to do next to follow it up, and that results in the sequel being more of a character development vehicle. I think that's what we see here - we got to know more of the characters back stories and saw them grow and change and become more of a team (family as they said in the movie). I really like seeing characters develop, and movies really don't allow much of that. You get about 2 hours, and you have to slam all those special effects and sound track scenes and other merchandising efforts into that small slice of time. In that respect, I think they did as much as they could with this episode.

I saw the movie last night. While the plot was a bit contrived, it was very enjoyable. The movie theater was even selling Groot popcorn buckets. I hated the way they stretched all those snippets in the ending credits. That was annoying. I did see it in iMAX 3D - that was an excellent way to see this movie.

I think Groot was over played a bit but Dave Bautista was absolutely hysterical. His dead pan delivery was one of the best I have seen in a long time. His telling Star Lord that he was pathetic and needed to find another pathetic person was great.

Evidently, there's quite a bit of comic book history going on with those credit snippets (Easter Eggs). Supposedly, while very brief, some of the appearances in the movie, were teasing characters that could appear in planned spin-off movies. Marvel is even reported to be in talks, to work out a multi-film contract, with a certain Ravager captain.

Dave Bautista was epic, this time around. Drax fell a bit 'flat' to me, first film. But I loved him in this. He was both intentionally and unintentionally funny. Now, if Drax could just learn to fight, he'd be even more awesome!

Saw it last night. Up front, liked the first one a bit better and liked this one more in parts. Some parts however were a bit too drawn out. That said, a lot of fun, no regrets.

Total agreement on the Bautista comments, Drax was hilarious.

Trailer ahead of Guardians for Thor: Ragnarok. This one I am looking forward to it and liked all the Thor precursor films. Great use of a song to set the mood for the film -

Was kinda surprized that this sequel has four major themes taken directly from Star Trek's "The Wrath of Khan" movie.

Interesting!:idea:

Q

Trailer ahead of Guardians for Thor: Ragnarok. This one I am looking forward to it and liked all the Thor precursor films. Great use of a song to set the mood for the film -

I'm happy to hear you liked Guardians. Plus, I agree, the Thor: Ragnarok trailer looks epic. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Maybe more so than the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Saw it last night. Up front, liked the first one a bit better and liked this one more in parts. Some parts however were a bit too drawn out. That said, a lot of fun, no regrets.

Total agreement on the Bautista comments, Drax was hilarious.

"I know him from work!!"

I saw it yesterday watched the first one the night before to refresh, i liked 2 better had me laughing quite a bit, kids liked it too

I saw the movie last night. While the plot was a bit contrived, it was very enjoyable. The movie theater was even selling Groot popcorn buckets. I hated the way they stretched all those snippets in the ending credits. That was annoying. I did see it in iMAX 3D - that was an excellent way to see this movie.

I think Groot was over played a bit but Dave Bautista was absolutely hysterical. His dead pan delivery was one of the best I have seen in a long time. His telling Star Lord that he was pathetic and needed to find another pathetic person was great.

Completely agree with you on ALL points. Trying too hard and overextending on the funny bits from the first one.

Last edited:
Evidently, there's quite a bit of comic book history going on with those credit snippets (Easter Eggs). Supposedly, while very brief, some of the appearances in the movie, were teasing characters that could appear in planned spin-off movies.
That HAD to be Adam Warlock in the birthing pod (even thought that's not his comic origin). However, the Marvel team keeps saying he won't be part of the Infinity War, which really makes no sense. I was actually surprised they didn't have anything with Thanos in the end snippets.

That HAD to be Adam Warlock in the birthing pod (even thought that's not his comic origin). However, the Marvel team keeps saying he won't be part of the Infinity War, which really makes no sense. I was actually surprised they didn't have anything with Thanos in the end snippets.

I've read the same, about "Adam" being Adam Warlock. But, then something about weird time-lines not allowing Adam to be in Infinity War. Also, the various Ravager captains, teased at Yondu's funeral, are 'supposed' to be appearing in a spin off movie. It seems they're an earlier team of Guardians! Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to Avenger's 3 & 4 too. And Thor 3!. They're all looking to be quite a ride. Just worried though, which current MCU cast members are killed off, to bring in fresh (less expensive) Heroes? :eek:

I guess we're getting sort of jaded on special effects. Ho, hum ...

Remember when THIS was state of the art?

The plus back then is they had to pull you in with the story. Now they often just toss special effects at you for 90 minutes and call it good.

Back
Top Bottom