Guess what? Another new guy!

zephyr9900

Hi all,

I'm not terribly into audio these days as I was in my college days (1976 to 1980).

But I do have my pride and joy, a Harman-Kardon 930 receiver with the walnut case (boy, how I lusted after THAT while I was in high school, and bought a slightly-used example in 1982 just after graduating from college) and my last pair of homemade loudspeakers, with Audax HD17B25 mid-woofers and HD100 tweeters.

I need to do some refurb on the HK930 and its case. From what I've read here (been lurking for a while) the receiver should have at least the power supply caps replaced, and possibly all of them.

I also broke one of the cheap rear-panel phono jacks, so I've machined new input jack panels from black FRP and gotten a batch of Teflon-insulated, gold-plated phono jacks that I need to wire in. Boy, there isn't much slack to those wires!

I'd like to make new cabinets for the loudspeakers, since I chose the unfortunate ratio of 1:1:2 for the internal dimensions of the cabinets I did build. However, I have no woodworking equipment at all these days. (I do have a CNC milling machine and small CNC lathe, so I might be willing to trade metal/panel work for wood work...)

Well, that about sums it up for now. Glad to be here!

Best regards,

Randy

Welcome, Randy! You sound pretty handy with a soldering iron. Nice receiver you've got there. Good luck with your speakers.

Unfortunately, it appears you fit right in here. Transfer control of your bank accounts to a trusted family member, while there is still time.:beerchug:
Welcome to AK anyway.:thmbsp:

Wow, thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm not really all that handy with a soldering iron. I have taken a course on lead and leadless soldering at work, but I am not all that coordinated to do soldering in the tight confines that the HK back panel presents. I can replace the power supply caps no problem, but have been considering contacting Mike Zuccaro in San Diego (who I've read good things about) for the more involved refurb, unless I can find someone in the San Francisco Bay or Sacramento area who has a good rep.

And wow, my Audax drivers must be antiques themselves. I don't have the specs on them any more, and can't seem to find any info online. But I popped the bass drivers off the other day, and found out/remembered that the crossovers I had built have nice polyester caps. I did find the schematics I used for them.

Best regards,

Randy

Back
Top Bottom