guitar (or bass, or whatever) effects

marqueemoon

Gimme indie rock!
Curious what y'all are into.

My old standbys for grit are a Barber Direct Drive and the trusty ProCo RAT, but I'm interested to try a Klon-esque circuit at some point.

I have a Fulltone Fat Boost I am less happy with. It has too much of its own sonic signature. I think I want more of true, uncolored clean boost. I'd love to hear any recommendations in that category.

I also like a good ol' swampy analog delay and have a few old DODs and a Maxon AD-80. They are super-picky about power though. Probably time to ditch my cheapo and too large wall wart powered pedalboard and put together something new with a real isolated power supply.

IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0633.jpg IMG_2214.jpg Not too many effects to see here.
The clean boost I use and recommend the MXR CAE MC401
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc401-boostline-driver
I really like the MXR line designed Bob Bradshaw of Custom Audio Electronics.
Great gear for the money.
I should get an endorsement deal with them as I am asked all the time what I use to get my tone.
Generally I try to use as little as possible between my gtr & amps

I went through a bunch of chorus, delays,phasers,etc
Now I only use the DLS Rotosim. (I am too old to move a real Leslie anymore.)
and a Wha. If I need a delay I use a MXR Carbon Copy if the gig calls for it.

I own a ton of pedals tried all of the different distortion /overdrive pedals none really had the dynamics or tone that tube amp has.
Thats why I run 2 amps. The Fulltone OCD is my choice if I need more drive for high gain tones

This has been my rig for a few years now only thing different is I finally wore out the crybaby recently & replaced with a MXR MC404 CAE Wah

Boss tuner > Crybaby silver anniversary model >DLS Rotosim (Leslie simulator)> Fulltone OCD >MXR CAE MC401 boost/line driver> Framptone amp switcher>

Amp (A) set clean
Amp (B) is set right at tube breakup & I use the boost for solos & roll the vol back on gtr to clean it up.

Big rooms or outside shows I use
Amp (A) 66 Deluxe Reverb & 1-12 extension cab both loaded with JBL D-120
Amp (B) Dr Z Carmen Gia into Marshall 1960A 4-12 cab loaded with stock Celestion G12T-75W

Small rooms & studio use

Amp (A) 65 fender Princeton
Amp (B) Vox AC4 dimmed at 1 watt or Marshall Class 5

Works for me!

[

Edit replaced the Dunlop wha with the MXR MC404 CAE Wah 2 switchable inductors & built in boost circuit:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Not too many effects to see here.
The clean boost I use and recommend the MXR CAE MC401
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc401-boostline-driver
I really like the MXR line designed Bob Bradshaw of Custom Audio Electronics.
Great gear for the money.
I should get an endorsement deal with them as I am asked all the time what I use to get my tone.
Generally I try to use as little as possible between my gtr & amps

I went through a bunch of chorus, delays,phasers,etc
Now I only use the DLS Rotosim. (I am too old to move a real Leslie anymore.)
and a Wha. If I need a delay I use a MXR Carbon Copy if the gig calls for it.

I own a ton of pedals tried all of the different distortion /overdrive pedals none really had the dynamics or tone that tube amp has.
Thats why I run 2 amps. The Fulltone OCD is my choice if I need more drive for high gain tones

This has been my rig for a few years now only thing different is I finally wore out the crybaby recently & replaced with a MXR MC404 CAE Wah

Boss tuner > Crybaby silver anniversary model >DLS Rotosim (Leslie simulator)> Fulltone OCD >MXR CAE MC401 boost/line driver> Framptone amp switcher>

Amp (A) set clean
Amp (B) is set right at tube breakup & I use the boost for solos & roll the vol back on gtr to clean it up.

Big rooms or outside shows I use
Amp (A) 66 Deluxe Reverb & 1-12 extension cab both loaded with JBL D-120
Amp (B) Dr Z Carmen Gia into Marshall 1960A 4-12 cab loaded with stock Celestion G12T-75W

Small rooms & studio use

Amp (A) 65 fender Princeton
Amp (B) Vox AC4 dimmed at 1 watt or Marshall Class 5

Works for me!

View attachment 732583 View attachment 732584

That's a neat rig all the way around, PQ. Bravo! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mystic!
I went to this because I got tired tap dancing on my pedalboard all night or scrolling thru menus on rack systems.
The Wha & Rotosim get used on a couple of songs each.
Most of the time the only “pedal” I use is the amp switcher and occasionally the boost.
Cheers
PQ

Love the rig. I have a Carmen Ghia head as well, though these days I'm using a VHT Special 6 head cranked almost all the way up. I think my problem with any boost at this point is I don't necessarily want to hit the amp much harder, at least not this amp. I'm already out of clean headroom.

The idea is I want one pedal that can fill out the sound a bit when I switch from a pick to fingers, but also function as a boost when the overdrive is kicked on without fundamentally changing the overdriven tone too much. I've started looking at compressors as an alternative to a boost, ideally something with a clean blend like the Barber Tone Press

Well a clean boost & compressor are two different animals.
A boost is going to increase gain by what ever the selected amount is some are clean others add color.
The Fat Boost is designed to fatten(Color) your tone intentionally.

Did you check out the CAE boost I linked to?
It can be used as an ultra-clean boost (up to +20dB) for solos or to drive effects for more dynamics and sensitivity.

A compressor makes the quieter parts of an audio signal louder and the louder parts quieter:
In effect, it’s narrowing the dynamic range of a signal and delivering a more consistent overall loudness.
PQ

I did look at that boost, yes. I think a compressor may be better, as like I said the amp is already working pretty hard so even the cleanest boost is going to make it distort more.

That's going to be the case with a compressor as well if I'm adding makeup gain above the original peak levels but I think it will be a bit smoother and more controllable and the increase in perceived loudness will make cranking the output a little less necessary.

I'm doing the three piece thing now, so it's more about getting the guitar to sit in the mix right than cutting through.

image.png
image.png
This is it for me now. Traded away all those cool old pedals years ago. I think I paid 400 for this when it came out. Really simple and ready to program 128 custom effects, along with 128 presets. Chorus/flange/reverb/delay/tap delay/eq.
Just got it out of hiding at my brothers place for the last dozen years lol. It will come in handy when I lay down some new tracks here shortly.

I did look at that boost, yes. I think a compressor may be better, as like I said the amp is already working pretty hard so even the cleanest boost is going to make it distort more.

That's going to be the case with a compressor as well if I'm adding makeup gain above the original peak levels but I think it will be a bit smoother and more controllable and the increase in perceived loudness will make cranking the output a little less necessary.

I'm doing the three piece thing now, so it's more about getting the guitar to sit in the mix right than cutting through.

That helps a lot now I understand that you dealing with .
1st I would ask is are you happy with your tone?

If so I have also learned the preferred thing to do is ask your drummer very politely to play softer or with lighter sticks and the bass player to turn down. Wow what concept!

The volume on stage is almost always set buy the drummer.
If the bass player or you cant hear yourselves you have no choice but to turn up till you can. Too loud of stage volume causes feedback & a multitude of other problems like getting fired or never being asked back. Oh yea and hearing damage.

Seasoned players understand controlling volume & dynamics to match each other & the room is job # 1! Nothing pisses off staff and patrons more than bands that are too damn loud!
It is always better to be asked to turn up than down.
I have played with more players and seen more bands than I can count that simply cant grasp this basic concept.

1st hint if everyone in the audience is standing at the back of the room & no one is siting or standing/dancing close to the stage…Your too f*cking loud!

2nd will changing your amps tone setting help you sit in the mix better?
What sounds great at home by yourself doesn’t always work in a band setting.

Often rolling off some bass on your guitar to leave those frequencies for the bass player to cover & the bass player cutting some of his highs to make room for you cleans up the mix because the 2 instruments are not competing with each other & creating phase issues resulting in mud. Try EQ’ing to make space for each other in the mix.

If your’e playing with the type of players who think “If its too loud you’re too old” & that isn’t an option.
The cheapest and easiest thing to do IMHO is dial in your amp right where you like it and simply mic it with a Sennheiser e 609 ($100) or e906 ($189) draped over your amp .

If you need “More Me” on stage run it thru your monitors for each member & to the FOH as needed

No chasing tone, going through pedal after pedal & endlessly rolling tubes or swapping out speakers.

The VHT Special 6 like most low wattage amps are really designed to be played at smaller venues & studio work & to break up at low volume levels. That is the point of low watt amps. Tube saturation at manageable volume.

Adding breakup is easy but adding more clean is very hard.

Headroom is the reason I run a Princeton (Stays clean to 10 like a Twin) verses a Princeton Reverb that breaks up around 3.5 -5 depending on tubes/speaker installed.

I have a 78 Fender Twin Reverb loaded with JBL E-120’s that has the ultra-liner transformer 135 watts of pure tube point to point Fender clean! Takes pedals wonderfully too.
But I can only use it one or twice a year because it will melt your face off and make you deaf before it ever breaks up.

Other options are..

A) Try a more efficient speaker that gives you more output & has less speaker cry. I replaced the stock speaker in my Fender Excelsior with an Eminence legend and gained almost 10db !

B) Use an extension cab. Generally +3db for each speaker added (I bet if you plug that VHT into a 4x12 cab you will have enough headroom)

C)Try different tubes

D) Use an amp with more headroom if all else fails.

Good luck I have been in your shoes many times..Often the answer isn’t more or different gear but actually each member making adjustments to accommodate each other that make the band as whole not each individual sound its best.
PQ

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. You are spot on on most of that stuff.

I am fortunate to play with people who are really sensitive to dynamics. Our practice space is really dinky though, so we are right on top of each other. It seems to work a lot better live.

I'm planning to add a new cab to the mix very soon with a more efficient speaker. It will be a 1x12 so I am also planning to pick up or make an amp stand to get it pointed at my ears. I'll probably keep my 4x10 and add it where it makes sense to do that.

I have not experimented with tubes yet.

I won't rule out going back to an amp with more clean headroom. That's what I did for many years, and I have the amps kicking around already.

PureQuill, I'm not sure if that's the answer the OP was looking for, but it's some very sound advice. Play to your ears not your pants, I say.
If the speaker's on the floor where you can't hear it, of course you're going to crank it up. Bass players are very good at this.
I brought a 15 watt Gibson tube amp to practice once. Playing along with the drums, no problem.
As soon as the bass player came in, I was totally gone, vanished, a ghost. I might as well have been playing a ukulele.

When I first started to play out (and finally had some cash) I had like 8+ pedals in the chain. Little by little I whittled down.
Got rid of the one trick pony's one by one, you know the pedals you use for one song or two.
Finally ended up with a Boss overdrive, MXR flanger and a Boss delay.
Along with the amp's reverb it was all I really needed to get the sounds I was looking for at that time.
I guess a lot of it really depends on the tunes you play and the sounds you're looking for.

PureQuill, I'm not sure if that's the answer the OP was looking for, but it's some very sound advice. Play to your ears not your pants, I say.
If the speaker's on the floor where you can't hear it, of course you're going to crank it up. Bass players are very good at this.
I brought a 15 watt Gibson tube amp to practice once. Playing along with the drums, no problem.
As soon as the bass player came in, I was totally gone, vanished, a ghost. I might as well have been playing a ukulele.

Yep! I have rode that pony more times than I can count.
Amp on a stand pointed at your ears and not your legs often helps a ton!

Mastering your instrument & learning the songs is only 1/2 of the equation.
Learning to play together as a band is equally if not more important.

@ OP sounds like you have a good handle on the issues.
Let us know how you finally sort it out.
PQ

Decent pickups and a good amp (plenty of good amps out there, pick your poison) Mostly play blues-based rock/southern rock/classic rock, a little country and bluegrass. Not good enough to play jazz;)

Reverb - if the amp doesn't have it a Boss RV-5
OD/Fuzz - either a Fulltone OCD, Fulltone 69 mkII, or a modded Boss BD-2

95% of the time that's it...

Occasionally a wah, rarely an MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Usually into a Black Face Deluxe Reverb

Posted this during the site work, so I'll post again. Here's my my board looks like these days, mostly for learning new tricks between writing papers and reading:
image.jpeg

I've also got one of the '74 reissue Phase 90's, a small clone, and an op amp big muff clone that get some play too.

Posted this during the site work, so I'll post again. Here's my my board looks like these days, mostly for learning new tricks between writing papers and reading:
View attachment 736387

I've also got one of the '74 reissue Phase 90's, a small clone, and an op amp big muff clone that get some play too.

How would you characterize the sound of the EH "Glove" as compared to other ODs? I read (@ EH's literature) that it has a "British" sound. Does it? If yes, "which British" sound (in your opinion)?

How would you characterize the sound of the EH "Glove" as compared to other ODs? I read (@ EH's literature) that it has a "British" sound. Does it? If yes, "which British" sound (in your opinion)?
The gain structure directly mimics the Marshall plexi heads. Think Angus Young super lead.

The glove is also a direct copy of the OCD drive. So the switch has one setting that's a transparent eq, and the second has the Marshall mid bump. Both very pleasant

Edit: so to describe the distortion characteristic, it's very aggressive and has some grind, but it's nothing like fender leads. Touch sensitivity is great, and the 18v voltage doubling circuit really opens the pedal up. I have that feature switched on all the time

Last edited:
I have been sour on EH ever since buying a Memory Man that died after the first practice with it. They are doing some cool things these days though. The organ and mellotron pedals in particular look awesome.

Anybody played with the TC Hall of Fame or HOF mini? The HOF Mini in particular looks nice because it's compact and super cheap, and I really only want one reverb sound anyway (a darkish plate), so I'm not put off by the limitations as long as there is such a sound in the Toneprint library or I can make one.

I should probably be saving my pennies for a Neunaber Wet though. Sigh.

I have been sour on EH ever since buying a Memory Man that died after the first practice with it. They are doing some cool things these days though. The organ and mellotron pedals in particular look awesome.

Anybody played with the TC Hall of Fame or HOF mini? The HOF Mini in particular looks nice because it's compact and super cheap, and I really only want one reverb sound anyway (a darkish plate), so I'm not put off by the limitations as long as there is such a sound in the Toneprint library or I can make one.

I should probably be saving my pennies for a Neunaber Wet though. Sigh.
I was just going to say one of the few pedals I'd like to get here soon are Electro Harmonix, one being the Memory Man. The older one with 5 knobs. Hmm. My brother just got his new Korg univibe. Says its touchy to find the sweet spot. I may hold out for the brand new Shin ei vibebro. Pricey tho

Back
Top Bottom