Gungnir multi bit vs Bifrost multi bit

Sorry if i hijacked your thread a little. I figured this was in the same group.
Close enough.. I think you are going to like the little Modi mb. Playing music files from a pc isn't quite as cut and dried as it is with cd's and a player if you haven't messed with it much before. There are things to watch out for that can rob Sq such as unknowingly running the files through windows processing. Look for settings that bypass the operating system. It has been quite a learning process for me in the past few years since I weaned myself from my phones player. I think I am getting to the close enough phase soon. Tired of reading and researching about software.. Gives me a frigging headache! Just want to listen to the music now. :music:

This DAC just keeps sounding better and better. Everything is more musical and sounds way more realistic. This is well worth the money. . More even. This is an absolute bargain!

Eight and a half thumbs up!!

Yeah. I've really been enjoying this. it's not quite up to my vinyl rig in terms of realism and musicality.. but it's also not to far off. I think if I dropped coin on their top of the line I think it could probably compete. a good time really getting a lot from both formats.

Enjoying my Bimby here, upgraded from an ifi nano dsd which I enjoyed very much, especially for less than $200. The difference was significant...and I've previously owned a Ps audio perfect wave mk2 and a host of other high end dacs...save your money if you're not running fully balanced...

From what I've read it sounds like the Modi MB is much the same as the Bifrost MB but crammed into a smaller case with an external power supply?

From what I've read it sounds like the Modi MB is much the same as the Bifrost MB but crammed into a smaller case with an external power supply?

The digital section is the same, based upon the information on Schiit's site. If you look at the pictures of the Bifrost MB circuit board, it doesn't look like the Bifrost's analog section would anywhere near fit in the Modi case, so there are likely some differences there. I've never heard them side by side, so I have no idea to what extent those differences are audible.

They sure have the same DAC chips (AD5547) and same analog stage (AD8512). Power supply might make a difference...

Modi:
modi_multi_pcb_bot.jpg

modi_multi_pcb_top(1).jpg

Bifrost (right side DAC section, left the USB input and the Power Supply):
bifrost-multibit-1920.jpg

Last edited:
One other difference that may or may not make a difference someday is that the bitfrost is upgradable whereas the Modi mb is not. I chose the non-upgradable one due to the price being near 50% less and the unknown factor of if there will actually bean upgrade or not for the bitfrost.

If I was thinking about the bifrost. I think I'd pony up the extra cash and get the one above it.

I can't see the advantage and expense of upgrading an older model with all the changes that DACs are currently undergoing.

Within 5 years we'll all be wanting that new break through DAC which makes everything before obsolete and it will probably be cheaper than those it replaces.

The huge DAC market is in the $250 or less range and Schiit hits that target group with the intro of the Modi MB.

I've never heard a Gumby, Bimby or a Mimby but I wouldn't be surprised if I'd need bat ears to tell much of a difference.

I do hope the Modi MB I plan to order will be an improvement over the Audio GD Wolfson DAC I've used for 7 years.

Since DAC's from 20 years ago (multibit) are still kicking the newer delta-sigma DAC's ass, I cannot see what "improvement" can be made besides of going back to the basics.

KA2Z; about 75ohm digital coac cables, it would be worth the struggle if you buy a piece of Vivanco KX-710. Ebay?
Be prepared for a little jaw-drop

I've had a few days with the Gungnir MB now and I am absolutely thrilled with my choice.

Now, we all know writing about music is like dancing about architecture, but I'll try anyway: Before getting the Gumby I've been using the NAD 1080, great DAC and I've been perfectly happy with it. But the Gumby makes everything sound more natural and vivid. How a snare drum attacks and decays (if that's the right word - not my native language so bear with me!), the vibration of strings, the way it handles female voices (something that I've often found lacking on digital rigs or even on my cheaper turntable) - it just sounds right and is ridiculously close to my analogue setup if you consider this thing costs as much as my cartridge.

... How a snare drum attacks and decays (if that's the right word - not my native language so bear with me!)...
^ To me that was the thing that turn me away from any delta-sigma DAC's. They just cant handle that with clarity, it sounds like a bunch of modulated noise instead of crisp,metallic harmonics. Cymbals are too in the same category.

Has anyone here heard the Bifrost MB and the Gungnir MB running single ended (RCA's) side by side in the same system? Would really love to know if they are really that close or ig the Gumby has some extra SQ benefits.

T
I've had a few days with the Gungnir MB now and I am absolutely thrilled with my choice.

Now, we all know writing about music is like dancing about architecture, but I'll try anyway: Before getting the Gumby I've been using the NAD 1080, great DAC and I've been perfectly happy with it. But the Gumby makes everything sound more natural and vivid. How a snare drum attacks and decays (if that's the right word - not my native language so bear with me!), the vibration of strings, the way it handles female voices (something that I've often found lacking on digital rigs or even on my cheaper turntable) - it just sounds right and is ridiculously close to my analogue setup if you consider this thing costs as much as my cartridge.
This echoes my experience with the Gumby. I debated with myself between this unit and the Bifrost MB and ultimately decided to go ahead and get as much as I could as soon as possible. I have no idea how close to the Gungbir the Bifrost comes, but suspect it is much closer than we would expect. However, my three months with the Gumby have convinced me I chose well.

Back
Top Bottom