Gym membership

If you are a member of a Gym or a Fitness Facility. How many times a month do you go?

• Once if that

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Two to Four

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Five to Six

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Eight + .. I'm there all the time

Votes: 39 63.9%

• Total voters
@M1Tommy that's to bad about the "issues" at the other dojo. A good karateka will rise above it.

Cool that you're still practicing. It's great for mind and body!

Cheers!
Carl
I definitely agree, some old issues between earlier Sensei from both.
And yep, I love my kata.
Tommy

Just curious, how many gym go'ers use a fitness tracker? I've personally found my progress improved significantly when I started using one, and have been wearing one 24/7 for a few years now. Although I have been getting lazy with the food tracking features since I've reached my weight loss goals.

Just curious, how many gym go'ers use a fitness tracker? I've personally found my progress improved significantly when I started using one, and have been wearing one 24/7 for a few years now. Although I have been getting lazy with the food tracking features since I've reached my weight loss goals.

I'm assuming you are referring to something like a Fitbit. I use a Fitbit Alta to track my calories burned but more importantly my heart rate given my previous heart issue. I see a lot more people at work with a Fitbit than I see using them at the gym.

Wifey bought me a FitBit about a year ago. I wore it for 6-8 months. Honestly, I did not get much utility from it, and went back to wearing my old Casio rugged watch.
I really prefer to not wear anything on my wrist like a watch, etc. when exercising, doing kata, yard work, etc.
Tommy

I got a gym membership when I retired. Actually it is free with my insurance. I go 3 times a week in the spring, summer and fall and then change it over to another gym in Florida when I am down there in the winter. I bike ride the other days in Florida and try to do at least once a week bike ride the rest of the year up north on bike trails with my high school buddies. I will not ride on roads.....too many car/bike accidents happening. Doing this and my diet has kept me off of meds for diabetes for 10 years now.

I'm assuming you are referring to something like a Fitbit. I use a Fitbit Alta to track my calories burned but more importantly my heart rate given my previous heart issue. I see a lot more people at work with a Fitbit than I see using them at the gym.

Wifey bought me a FitBit about a year ago. I wore it for 6-8 months. Honestly, I did not get much utility from it, and went back to wearing my old Casio rugged watch.
I really prefer to not wear anything on my wrist like a watch, etc. when exercising, doing kata, yard work, etc.
Tommy

Yes I'm a fitbit user myself. When I started using one, I had already been going to the gym regularly for a year, and didn't lose much weight in that time (5-10lbs?) When I started using the fitbit, I started using the food trackers right away, and lost around 35lbs in the first 6 months by keeping a 500-1000 calorie daily deficit.

My complaint with fitbit is their terrible build quality, they last right around a year before they either fall apart. I've had two replaced under warranty, and my latest one the button stopped working a week out of warranty. I've been researching others, but it seems all competitors fall behind fitbit in quality of the app.My mother's mi band3 even seems significantly better built, with easy to replace bands, compared to my fitbit. But the app is very primitive in comparison.

I have my own Gym in the next room. Original Bowflex, Nordic Track Elite and Elete Rower, an Inversion Table and some free weights.......the question is how many times a year, not per week :)

In the next month there will be a influx of new members to my Gym which tends to be annoying for a variety of reasons. Thankfully they tend to be gone by February-March.... :D

My weights, benches and lat machine are in my basement.
Since I work and reside at my Christmas tree farm it's convenient.

When I come in for lunch I do bench pressing between eating my lunch.
Later I do triceps exercises in the evening.
The next day I do barbell bent over rowing and lat pulldowns at lunchtime.
In the evening I do barbell curls.

My weights, benches and lat machine are in my basement.
Since I work and reside at my Christmas tree farm it's convenient.

When I come in for lunch I do bench pressing between eating my lunch.
Later I do triceps exercises in the evening.
The next day I do barbell bent over rowing and lat pulldowns at lunchtime.
In the evening I do barbell curls.

How about squats and deadlifts? They are two basic full body movements. I can skip most anything, but I feel better when I do my squats.

Home gym for me. Free weights, rack, lat machine, and a trap bar in the basement. Simple compound lifts twice a week. One push, one pull for upper body, alternate squats and deadlifts for lower body and back. Being just a few weeks away from 65, I don’t recover like I used to, so no more 3x per week.

I’m a dinosaur lifter. I’ve been doing this since college, never belonged to a gym. I would use having to drive to a gym as an excuse to sit on my kiester.

How about squats and deadlifts? They are two basic full body movements. I can skip most anything, but I feel better when I do my squats.
I hate doing squats since it's so difficult to get the bar back on the racks.
I never liked deadlifts either.

I'm there 4 days a week, most times at 5 am except Sunday mornings usually closer to 8 am. I'm addicted you might say. Feel very guilty if I miss a workout. Doing this for many years.

I am two years out of the Dojo. I keep upper body strength ok with body weight exercises and moderate weight lifting , but I miss the leg workout from karate.

I am going start regular squats and dead lifts. I will be honest, that these exercises intimate me. I am going really light, for now.
Pointer, advice definitely appreciated.
Tommy

Back
Top Bottom