Gym membership

If you are a member of a Gym or a Fitness Facility. How many times a month do you go?

• Once if that

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Two to Four

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Five to Six

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Eight + .. I'm there all the time

Votes: 39 63.9%

• Total voters
i've been a member at Cooper Fitness Center in Dallas since 1989, for swimming,weights, spinning and rowing machine. i also coach swimming, and there five or six days a week

I am two years out of the Dojo. I keep upper body strength ok with body weight exercises and moderate weight lifting , but I miss the leg workout from karate.

I am going start regular squats and dead lifts. I will be honest, that these exercises intimate me. I am going really light, for now.
Pointer, advice definitely appreciated.
Tommy

Body weight squats. I do them when getting up in the morning. Do a couple sets of 50. Then get into a deep squat and hold it for a minute.

When that gets easy, do goblet squats (holding a weight close to chest). I am a fan of kettlebells, and KBs are great for goblet squats. Then try one legged squats with your other leg extended out to your side, also known as side leg squats.

Sounds good... will do that tomorrow after work! ... not sure about the one legged ones right now, though.
Thanks!
TOmmy

Sounds good... will do that tomorrow after work! ... not sure about the one legged ones right now, though.
Thanks!
TOmmy

It took me a long time to build the strength to do side legged squats. I could squat my bodyweight on a bar and it was still tough doing side squats. Now it seems almost easy. :D

. . . I am going start regular squats and dead lifts. I will be honest, that these exercises intimate me. I am going really light, for now.
Pointer, advice definitely appreciated.
Tommy

Only my experience:

Ideally, you would have a live-and-in-person experienced lifter to show you proper technique and critique your form. I was lucky several decades ago to gave a dinosaur gym near me, and the old guys showed me the basics, which never change. Don't go to some chain gym [old coot mode on] and have some kid in spandex show you how to "squat." [/old coot mode]

The modern bible on weightlifting is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. It is maybe a little too detailed if you try to read it straight through, but it gives a good explanation of a proper squat and deadlift. Jonathan Sullivan has a book out for us older folks who are starting strength training later in life, The Barbell Prescription. I like both of these books because they concentrate on basic movements to make and keep you strong and healthy.

Rippetoe is on Youtube, and he has a Facebook page where you can post video of yourself and get your technique critiqued. He isn't into exotic nutrition or drugs, and he can be a little dogmatic. Some don't agree with him, but most of what he teaches makes sense to me.

My advice, from doing this a long time, would be to concentrate on mastering squatting first. The deadlift is a little less forgiving of bad form.

Just my two cents.

Only my experience:

Ideally, you would have a live-and-in-person experienced lifter to show you proper technique and critique your form. I was lucky several decades ago to gave a dinosaur gym near me, and the old guys showed me the basics, which never change. Don't go to some chain gym [old coot mode on] and have some kid in spandex show you how to "squat." [/old coot mode]
My advice, from doing this a long time, would be to concentrate on mastering squatting first. The deadlift is a little less forgiving of bad form.

Just my two cents.

I hear you well. My mention of being 2 years out of the dojo is just that. Our traditional Okinawan karate school closed, the teacher going back to college full time, etc., understandable but sad. I have visited a couple in the town I live in now, and the "fit" def. is not there for me.... not yet. Maybe that Kendo school nearby? <grin>
I go to a chain gym, with tons of cardio equip., and the tiny free weight area full of bozos mostly watching the blasted TVs that line the walls.... TVs in a gym?!?
Thanks for the info.... will look-see on that all, this evening.
Tommy

Wife goes to the gym for me. :D
I run up and down stairs all day at work.
Then when I get home I am always having to pack
feed and water for animals. Probably not as good
as going to the gym myself, but I have not let myself
shrivel away either.

About five times a week in the gym, 1.5 - 2 hours, mixed aerobics (elliptical, reclining bike), stretching and floorwork, weights (arms, core and upper body) plus an hour of hiking with the dog every day.

Oh, and 2.5-5 hours of training with the fire department most weeks, which often requires use of muscles I didn't know I owned.

You'd think I'd be in better shape than this.

About five times a week in the gym, 1.5 - 2 hours, mixed aerobics (elliptical, reclining bike), stretching and floorwork, weights (arms, core and upper body) plus an hour of hiking with the dog every day.

Oh, and 2.5-5 hours of training with the fire department most weeks, which often requires use of muscles I didn't know I owned.

You'd think I'd be in better shape than this.

Wow! Maybe you're overtraining!

I'm with ehoove, free gym membership with Silver Sneakers through my Medicare supplement. What keeps me going is my streak of 29 Thanksgiving Day Races, so I train for that each year, runnning outside and inside when the weather is not nice. Some weight as well. I'm not a running or gym fanatic, just doing enough to enjoy the race each year. Of course everything is messed up with the pandemic, so no gym since March and my 30th Thanksgiving Day race will be virtual.

Stopped going to the gym at the start of the lockdown. Bought a treadmill, some resistance bands and some dumbbells. Voila!! The garage is now a gym.

In the BC years (Before Covid) went almost every day.

Since March not once.

They have been great and suspended membership fees till we return again.

I was a twice a week user until the virus hit. Now it's closed down and I get no exercise outside of beer curls. I will resume once the gyms reopens, if it ever does.

As a senior, my Medicare Supplement coverage has Silver Sneakers, so I get free YMCA membership. It has a pool and weight room. but neither interest me. Never been the gym type. I'd rather bike ride, play racket ball, or golf to burn calories.

As a senior, my Medicare Supplement coverage has Silver Sneakers, so I get free YMCA membership. It has a pool and weight room. but neither interest me. Never been the gym type. I'd rather bike ride, play racket ball, or golf to burn calories.

Understand. But, are you as strong as you were 20 or 30 years ago?

Understand. But, are you as strong as you were 20 or 30 years ago?

No at all, but still plenty strong for me. I had a widow marker heart attack that caused heart damage, but passed all 4 heart test with flying colors. My Cardiologist said he wished his tests results were as good mine. I am in good overall shape and people don't believe me when I tell them my age. I do ride slower and golf with less vigor.

I am a bit different. Adaptive athlete. I do physical therapy a lot. (and presently doing PT). I also do my rock climbing (when belay partners and Wellman Harness available). I also ride a bike with my Allard BlueRocker AFO braces, water-ski (using a Sit Ski), and much more. I plan on joining Planet Fitness after PT gives me the go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom