Hafler DH-200

MKG

Elvish-mark’d abortive, rooting hog
Picked up a Hafler DH-200 at an amateur radio swap meet today. Don’t know anything about it and don’t know if I under or over paid, but I decided it was worth $60 to me (it’s hard for me to turn down a new project). I’m looking forward to doing some research on AK tonight to learn all about it.
Any suggestions on things I should definitely test/check/replace prior to attempting to fire it up?

Attachments

• D18F99E1-2286-4AD9-A824-01A54DE92EEF.jpeg
    D18F99E1-2286-4AD9-A824-01A54DE92EEF.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 94
  • B42E82AA-607F-4F77-A239-B444455F569A.jpeg
    B42E82AA-607F-4F77-A239-B444455F569A.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 87
Although there are lots of things you could do, I'd just check fuses and verify that there aren't any wires hanging loose. You don't want to damage any of the outputs as they are hard to find. Lots of fuses in those units. Get pics so we can guess as to Kit or Assembled when bought.

DH200 is an older, but well-regarded amp. There's a newer version, DH220. There are Pro-audio variants with phone plug inputs and gain controls. Add more-stylish sheet metal, tweak the circuit a little bit, and you've got a Hafler XL280.

Musical Concepts--and others--used it as a base for "improved" amps.

Last I looked, there was a company that was making a "tribute" version, although I haven't looked 'em up in years.

Picked up a Hafler DH-200 at an amateur radio swap meet today. Don’t know anything about it and don’t know if I under or over paid, but I decided it was worth $60 to me (it’s hard for me to turn down a new project). I’m looking forward to doing some research on AK tonight to learn all about it.
Any suggestions on things I should definitely test/check/replace prior to attempting to fire it up?
If it still works you did pretty good.;)

I opened it up, will post pics shortly. All solder joints are super clean- my guess is that it was factory built.
Decided to try to fire it up- it blows the first fuse in line with the switch. Gotta have a short somewhere?

Ohm's Check F2 L& R as well as F3 L&R with a multimeter.And out of circuit.

Okay. Did some fiddling. Switch is wired correctly but the rectifier bridge is shot. Gonna order a replacement from mouser and soon as I figure out what else I might need. Caps look fine, any thoughts on whether I should recap it while I’m in there? Any bits in these amps that are known to fail that I should replace or upgrade?

Ohm's Check F2 L& R as well as F3 L&R with a multimeter.And out of circuit.
I’m assuming that you don’t want me just ohm check the fuses themselves. I’m assuming you mean across where the fuse would bridge?
And what exactly am I disconnecting to isolate it from the circuit?

Fail. No, I didn’t. I’ll do that this evening prior to ordering a replacement.
Isolated it from transformer- it’s toast. Gonna order a new one tonight.
I’m thinking this one from mouser:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/844-GBPC2502A

Back
Top Bottom