Half Your Age

musichal

poet emeritus
Tell us about your system, your music and listening habits when you were half your present age.

At 64, I would have been 32, so the year in question is 1986. I still had a Kenwood KR-6030 receiver, a Thorens TD-165 I would sell (along with all LPs) a few years later, Advent OLAs soon to be replaced by Heresy, an old MCS cassette deck that looked like a Technics (Panasonic?) and a Sony CDP. My taste in music was almost as varied as now. Got a lot of pleasure from that modest rig.

Well into the CD era I was listening to cassettes in the car mostly with some occasional CD purchases (greatest hits).
I was straying away from Pop Rock (on the radio) and listening to what I refer to as "Young Country" (at the time) … didn't like the direction rock was going in the early 90's and I was living in the South US (near Smokey Mountains) at that time. Right before my Classical Music years and prior to my "Classic Rock" dollar bin Vinyl era (starting in 2000).

Last edited:
I'm 65 1/2 now.....so that would be 84 or 85. I'm trying to remember what I was running at that point. I had a pair of Celestial DL 8 speakers (still have), a Technics SL 3300 turntable (still have), a Sansui TU 7700 tuner (still have), some kind of Technics cassette deck (long gone), and if I remember correctly, I was using a Marantz 1070 integrated amp.....which I gave to a friend. All in all....pretty much the same crap I have now. The less things change, the more they stay the same....

I'm 62, so I'd have been 31 in 1987. My system then included Sanyo Plus 55 tuner, preamp, and power amp (very sweet gear at the time), a Technics SL-DL1 linear tracking TT with Shure V15-P cartridge, a Denon cassette deck (model long forgotten), and AR-58B speakers. All that gear is long gone, but I enjoyed that system a lot.

When I was 26, I was running a newish Kenwood integrated amp with separate tuner and dual-deck cassette, a Kenwood turntable and a -- if I recall correctly -- Hitachi portable CD player normally permanently docked in a docking station, with very large, heavy speakers constructed by a friend who was renowned locally for his hand-crafted speakers.

I don't remember the model numbers of any of it, though the amp might have been a KA-87 like this one:

KA-87.jpg

My musical tastes were singularly focused on classic prog rock: Yes, early Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc.

I would have been 35 so that puts it around 1985. I had a Miracord 50H Mk !! with an ADC cartridge (which was not a great choice for that arm), A Marantz 2270, a Tea c A-360 cassette deck, A Teac CD magazine changer (don't recall the model number), and a pair of JBL L-55 Lancers.

It would have been 1989 for me, and by then my system was all Linn: LP12, LK1 preamp, LK2 power amp, and Sara speakers. That system stayed fairly intact for about 20 years, though I did have the power amp upgraded with the LK280 kit and also upgraded to an LP12 Cirkus when it came out in 1993. The LK1 was the first piece to die (control board issue), and it was replaced by an Audio by Van Alstine preamp, which I still use today. The Linn system, giving much greater insight into the music than my previous Thorens, Pioneer, EPI gear, greatly expanded my listening habits--better playback quality made all genres of music that much more interesting.

I'm embarrassed to say but.
I'd guess my system from my late teens and early 20s (mostly mid /top tier radio shack Lafayette stuff oh and a nice Teac cassette deck and Dual TT, ) was in my attic) with some kind of unlistenable little stack my ex wife had somewhere (unlistened to).

Fortunately I recovered
(In more ways than one:D)

Lets see......that would put me in 1986. I bought a new Technics receiver, cassette deck, and a Sony SL-D2 turntable around that time. A pair of Klipsch KG4.5 speakers. Not sure if the Yamaha CD player was in there at that time or not. Music was mostly rock played LOUD.

Funny.....much of my listening nowadays is stuff I neglected back then. Al Stewart is a perfect example.

i would have been 30 yrs and a single dad [ with kids ] working full time. not much time for stereo
so it was some pioneer avr via coax from pc to small polk speakers.
and few shelving units full of cd's

That'd be 23 years old, and the year was 1995. Boy, those were great times.....

Infinity SM-152 (yes, those much maligned speakers....and rightly so) with a Sansui AU-G99X.

Had the amp, didn't have the speakers, tho I thought I did. Even worse, paired with a horrible 1 bit Pioneer cdp. Horrid.

Last edited:
EDIT: Whoops, miscalculated the year! That would actually put me at 27 in 1990 so things changed a bit by then. I had a McIntosh MAC-1700 receiver, phono 1 was an ARXA, phono 2 was a Miracord 10H and the tape deck was an Akai 4000DS. Speakers were a pair of AR2a’s. Man I loved that system, kept it just like that for a long long time.

Last edited:
I'm 68 so about 1983. I still had a 1972 Sherwood S7100A, a Technics SLB 203 Van Alstine-modded turntable, and KLH Model Sixes. I was about to pick up my Altec Valencias. Still have the Sherwood and the Vals.

Well in 1990 I was 28 and my last turntable system was bought around 1985. To tell the truth I forgot what it was, I think it was Technics. It was a mid 80s silver face matching system with a glass door rack. If you bought the tuner, amp, tape deck you got the turntable thrown in for free. It was a front load table like the Pioneer PL-88FS I have now.

IMG_3359.JPG IMG_3361.JPG
I also had a old pair of AR 5ax that I sprayed a white textured Zolatone, new drivers and redid the black screen.

images.jpg

Mid 80s to the 90s was the age of black and bright colors, so you had to have a Nagel print in your house.

imgres-1.jpg imgres.jpg

I listen to all my old rock, made tapes and nothing fancy, just enjoyed music.

That would put me at 31. Back in 1987 I had:
Sony CDP101 cd player
Luxman C1010 preamp
Luxman M4000 amp
Kenwood 600T tuner
Kenwood KD600 turntable
B&W 801 series 80 speakers

Listened mostly to baroque classical.

Jeez... What 1987? I *think* we just bought our first house... So that would be (initially)...

Aragon 18K Preamp
Aragon 4004 Mk II Power amp
Technics SL-1300 Mk II/Signet TK7e Cartridge
NAD 4155 Tuner
Teac C-3X Cassette Deck
VMPS Super Tower IIR Speakers

Things were always a bit in flux back then, so this may not be entirely accurate...

I'm 59, so that would be 1987 - 1988. I was in the middle of a string of bad career decisions ( mine ) & bad business decisions ( two different employers ) which resulted in my being caught in a situation were I absolutely could not afford anything audio. In fact I had to sell my Bose receiver ( yes, Bose ) and JVC KD-D55 cassette deck to pay bills in that time frame. I ended up boxing the remaining equipment ( Yamaha P-450 Turntable, TEAC V400x Cassette Deck and NS10m Speakers ) , records & cassettes where they remained for roughly 20 years. I listened to FM Rock until the early 90's when, like others have said, it went off in a direction I did not like. Then the "Classic Rock" format took hold and I started listening to FM in the Car again. Unboxed my remaining equipment in about 2008 and here I am now.

Mark Gosdin

Back
Top Bottom