Harman Kardon Citation 17 Upgrades

Output Board Change

O.k. I am starting to get the hang of knowing when & where to increase the capacitance. One of those places is the output board. I went back to see if I could squeeze any more power onto the board and was able to replace a 220uF Elna with a 330uF Nichicon Muse. I don't know if it is because everytime I replace a Elna it is with a higher capacitance Nichicon but I think I like the sound of the Nichicon better. It seems to have a bigger soundstage but it could just be the increase in capacitance I am hearing. Now I can say with experience that increasing the capacitance where ever you can (with the exception of the Phono Board ;) ) is going to make the sound stage seem bigger. :thmbsp: This board is stacked!

Note: I finally burned off a trace with this one but fashioned one from a cut off piece of a lead. That is how I managed to overlap onto another negative ground trace and caused a whole bunch of noise when I first turned it on.

Attachments

• 4-Output.jpg
    4-Output.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 3-Output.jpg
    3-Output.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Check to see if your solder is overlapping 2 traces. It just happened to me last time.

I looked at the Service Manual again because the C28 not being used is some sort of circuit thing. My manual does not have a capacitor list so I had to constantly check between the schematic of the PCB layout and the circuit diagram. Ultimately I found the circuit diagram the easiest to read for correct values. C28 is not a designation on the board at all. I could not find it labeled there at all. I think you pulled the brown ceramic disc out from C26 slot, which on the circuit diagram is 15pF 500V.

I find the conversion on the 47n470 a little confusing too. Here is a better conversion chart, but still is n the same as nF? Anyway it is not on the board so don't worry about it but a 47nF converts to 4700pF and the voltage should be 470 (I assume)

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

C28 it is, and it's not on the scematic nor the PCB layout.
I saw the link you mentioned as well and it confused me just the same as the other... Google was not my friend there either. I may ask over on the tube board about it, someone there will know I'm sure. M-caps mmmm I'd love to have used them but at the time of odering caps, I was already into some coin. Initially I was going to sell this on the bay after I did the resto but the more I listen the better I like it. When I pull this one (tomorrow) I will thro in a tube pre, either my Yaqin MS-12b or one of my Pass 2's and see if the magic is still there. I've got my listening room all dismantled in the middle .. check that in the begining stage of resto work there so my listening room system is on the shelf, so I have options for another pre.

I may get some better caps for the output board. I wish I knew more about that K1 relay... if there's a better/quieter replacement.. Funny thing is that most all of the transitor parts in this pre are still fairly good stuff even by todays standards.

Replacing the resistors with metal film 1% I think really helps the noise floor on this, I like Vishay CF/MF, but you gotta stick with the 1/4 watters as they are slightly larger over all than original resistors and there isn't much more room. I think if you are going all out with those fancy caps replacing resistors with MF is a ligical step.

On my phono hum issue. I've got some hiss in one channel with TT not plugged in so I need to take the board out and take a CLOSE look at all my solder joints etc. and trace out the ground wire and see if there isn't something loose on the chassis. It could even be something from my tuner/antenna getting thru.. hum sucks but I will find it. The static is more of an issue, something wrong on the board solder/part issue and harder to find and fix. I just got a Heath signal tracer so I will test it out with that static gremlin... and track that sucker down like a bitch in heat.

Cheers,

Bob

No Signal from Preamp

Hey Guys,

I have mucked around enough now that I have finally done something beyond my abilities to diagnose it or fix it. I was inserting a vintage Jensen PIO bypass cap on the output board, which I thought was non-polarized and I reversed polarity (at least I think as I am still not sure about it. Polarity isn't marked but I have since noticed a red and black end.) At the same time I noticed that I dropped solder onto 2 leads between 2 ends of another cap essentially connecting positive to negative (also on the left side). First I replaced both caps. Everything sounded great but my amp's LED for the left channel still showed that a small amount of signal was being passes because the first left channel LED on the amp would come on when I wasn't playing any music. So I thought I should replace the next cap in line and then everything progressively got worse the more I tinkered with it. Then my amp starting getting real hot at the output transistors at the hot sinks so I shut it off. I changed preamps and the amp is fine on its own. I tried the 17 again and now nothing is coming out of either channel. Is it time to take it to the repair shop? I am not sure what to do. I do not know how to diagnose anything. Any advice would be helpful.

If you do need a shop, I suggest Audio Oasis--great guys to talk to and the owner (George?) designs their in-house brand gear, the tech (Bill?) is a great guy too.

If you do need a shop, I suggest Audio Oasis--great guys to talk to and the owner (George?) designs their in-house brand gear, the tech (Bill?) is a great guy too.

Your quote is appropriate. :D

Now that I have had a chance to collect myself I realize that this preamp is just a sum of its parts and I will eventually figure this out on my own. I have had experiences with George. His shop was the last shop I went before I decide that I would never go to another shop again and pay $15o for someone to change ONE cap for me. I guess its true what they say that we learn from doing. I will report on my ability to problem solve this own my own or with the help of the AK community.

I have a friend who is going to show mw how to trace an audio signal through a preamp but if I am not getting any signal at all now, not completely sure, then the problem would have to be on the power board where the audio signal is not yet separated into left and right channels? I don't know but I guess I will start from the beginning with checking the voltages again. Tonight I just need to listen to some music so I puled out the spare Citation 11. At least my recap of the 19 was successful so I will have some enjoyment tonight.:yes:

Ah, well, I've never used the shop, just chit chat with the boys after work this past summer almost daily. I'm like you, where I prefer to do everything myself, but you will (might?) need an oscilloscope to do some signal tracing and a controlled source (freq gen) for some more complex/regular tests.

I have all those tools and I'd love to sit down with ya (and have honestly thought about extending an offer) but there's way too much on my plate at the moment unfortunately... :(

Sorry to hear the AO isn't the greatest place to do for fixing, it was cool chilling out there for a couple hours between work and home, though.

Ah, well, I've never used the shop, just chit chat with the boys after work this past summer almost daily. I'm like you, where I prefer to do everything myself, but you will (might?) need an oscilloscope to do some signal tracing and a controlled source (freq gen) for some more complex/regular tests.

I have all those tools and I'd love to sit down with ya (and have honestly thought about extending an offer) but there's way too much on my plate at the moment unfortunately... :(

Sorry to hear the AO isn't the greatest place to do for fixing, it was cool chilling out there for a couple hours between work and home, though.

Hey I appreciate the almost offer to help. I understand about being busy. My friend said he downloaded a 20 hertz test tone from the internet and then traces it with his multimeter? Hopefully it gets me close enough to know the stage where the voltages start to fluctuate and then just replace all the transistors on the board? Hopefully it is that simple. I am not going to rush this because this is why I made the decision to start this hobby and luckily I have a spare pre to use for now. What I really like is to take some classes. Do you know anything about this Taylor Hobby http://www.taylorhobby.com/
I'd rather pay someone to SHOW me how to fix so that I can learn at the same time. I was also unable to set the bias current in the 19 because it was just impossible to reach the emitter pins inside the heat sink and I didn't want to kill myself. I don't know how to extrapolate. I am assume that it should be o.k. if everything is running cool and the DC off set at the speaker terminals is 1 millivolt.

I will measure the voltages tonight and report back.

Voltage Readings

Something interesting happened when I took he voltage readings. I started with the power supply and the p3 positive pins read normal. When I measured the p4 negative pins I got the following readings
pin 6 = +19.5 (Should be -15)
pin 7 = +10.4 (Should be -24)
pin 11 = +10.2 (Should be -15)
pin12 = +10.4 (Should be -24)

HOWEVER

After reading the Output Boards and Phono Boards, which were all normal I went back and remeasured the p4 negative pins again and they were now normal too.
pin 6 = -15.3 (Should be -15)
pin 7 = -24.5 (Should be -24)
pin 11 = -15.1 (Should be -15)
pin12 = -24.4 (Should be -24)

In between each reading I would turn the preamp on and off to use Alligator Clips so as not to have a mishap with the probes. Is it possible that all the turning on and off righted something that was amiss?

All the voltages were normal and the 2 relays, one on the power supply and the one on the output board read .5V What is the next step? Do I need to trace a 20 hertz signal starting backwards from the output board?

Blackgate Caps in the power supply

I decided to upgrade the coupling capacitors in the power supply to all Blackgate. Now the power supply is completely Mundorf and Blackgate except for on little pesky 4.7uf Elna. (Can someone tell me what the role of this cap does?)

The improvement in Bass response from this upgrade is unbelievable! There is a breaking in period going on right now but these Blackgates in this role remind me of what the Output Board sounded like when I added the Mundorf Supreme M-Caps. There is an almost holographic imaging going on now like when you are braking in a new tube. This has me thinking about adding bypass caps on the back of the board for each one, but if I can I am going to go with the REL RTEs, although the Vishay 1837 just fit themselves.

There was no way to get anything bigger on here. I looked at using some MKP M-Caps but there was no way to balance them in the positive and negative power rail positions equally. I am real happy with this upgrade ... and now I know why everyone loves these caps, especially grouped like this all together. They make the Elna's seem inadequate.

Attachments

• Blackgate-01.jpg
    Blackgate-01.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Blackgate-02.jpg
    Blackgate-02.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Blackgate-03.jpg
    Blackgate-03.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Blackgate-04.jpg
    Blackgate-04.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I decided to upgrade the coupling capacitors in the power supply to all Blackgate. Now the power supply is completely Mundorf and Blackgate except for on little pesky 4.7uf Elna. (Can someone tell me what the role of this cap does?)

Electrlytic caps in the power supply, most likely there to smooth out ripple (remove distortion). Where did you purchase those Blackgate caps?? Glad they are working for you.

Cheers,

Electrlytic caps in the power supply, most likely there to smooth out ripple (remove distortion). Where did you purchase those Blackgate caps?? Glad they are working for you.

Cheers,

Well do you think I should source out a 4.7 Blackgate from somewhere to complete the board?

Parts Connexion has the 10s and a few others in odd values. I was also able to get 2 22uf 16V for my power amp but they are only in the protection circuit but they were only $1.25 ea. The 10uf 250Vs were still only $5.50 ea and I think that both the output board use them as coupling values as well, so you may want to order 10 altogether. I wanted to see if they were worth it first and they are that. (although the space is tighter on the output board).

Last edited:
HK 17 Repaired

Ya. I hate it too when threads are left open ended.

After another upgrade to the output board I shorted to ground and the voltage regulators finally gave out. It took months to resolve the issue with the 17 because I tried to do the work myself. I got most of the way there and in fact I was a c@#*$-hair away from resolving it on my own but in the end I caved and brought it in to a technician for a second pair of eyes.

First I rebuilt the whole power supply with new Fairchild regulators, Vishay Bridge Rectifier, my 4.7uf Blackgate cap to complete the board, and all Vishay Dale 1% metal film resistors. The Vishay 2W power resistors were only available in 5% at the time i ordered. There were a lot of involved steps with this that lead me to isolate IC4 as being blown open. A friend on DIY audio helped me through learning how and where to measure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

With all of that completed I inserted the Power board and it didn't turn on! After that point Dave (DShoaf) helped me most of the way in figuring out what to do next. I owe him a debt of gratitude for his help. Dave walked me through identifying the problem, which originated on the Output Board. My first step was to remove the relay and eliminate it as the problem, which I did and that was not it so I put it back in the circuit. Next was to check the decoupling caps 2 at a time (C2/C4 and C12/C14), left & right channel.

After the first 2 caps were removed the 17 powered on for 5 seconds and then shut down again. Thank god for the new V reg with short circuit protection. As Dave pointed out to me in his first post I should have replaced these first and maybe non of this would have happened. Just knowing the new Regs have circuit protection gives a hobbyist piece of mind against making mistakes, which i did a few times reversing polarity and shorting to ground.

I removed the next 2 decoupling caps and proceeded to check the voltages. As soon as I turned it on it powered up and R36 started smoking. I immediately turned it off. It ended up that Q15 & Q16 were blown so I replaced them and Q7 & 8 to match. I also replaced the coupling caps and all the resistors.

attachment.php

After which the preamp turned on again and all the voltages returned to normal, however, there was still some stray DC in the right channel that was causing massive static in the woofers and for the woofers to push out on the right channel. Out of shear frustration and the fact that Dave stopped answering my PMs I ended up replacing all the transistors in the right channel and electrolytics in the right channel. I turned it on again and still static in the right channel.

At this point I surrendered and brought it to a tech who told me that basically there was nothing wrong with it, he just didn't like all the oversized caps I had on it with bypass caps. He had some static on start up so He ended up removing all the over sized caps I had on the board and replaced them with Panasonics. He did not put the bypass caps back. All of my caps measured fine with no leaks. He asked me if I wanted him to put them back but since he had the 17 running I said just to put my Blackgate Coupling caps back. He then cleaned and lubed all the controls. Sounds Fantastic!

Within days after getting the 17 back I decided I needed a Back up pre. I needed to know for myself how a tube pre stacked up against the 17 so I auditioned a Audible Illusions L1 line stage that my friend was selling. A single ended triode, dual mono tube amp that matched with the HK19 sounds incredible. The difference between the 2 preamps are completely different. The AIL1 is in a different league. Now the 17 is my back up pre.

I learned a lot from this project. Most notably, 1. resistors are as equally as important as the caps if not more. The noise floor and depth of sound stage increased dramatically with the upgrades. 2. Good voltage regulators & rectifiers are also essential. 3. Don't increase capacitance in the audio signal or bypass the audio signal, especially if its already inherent in the circuit design just by better signal caps. 4. Although capacitors do have sound signatures the best capacitor in the world will not add up to more than the sum of the circuit design. The circuit design is the most important element.

I think I will complete a few more upgrades like all the resistors in the phono stage and I may still look for some Blackgates for the output board signal caps but the 17 will not serve main duties for me anymore. Its not entirely fair to say the AIL1 is better but different in a way that is better. Perhaps I will enjoy inserting the 17 back in every once in awhile.

Currently I am changing all the resistors in the 19 and will post to that forum again soon.

Attachments

• HK17-Regs.jpg
    HK17-Regs.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 153
  • HK17-Regs-2.jpg
    HK17-Regs-2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 156
  • HK17-transistors.jpg
    HK17-transistors.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Dang, sweet job! Would not have guessed that oversized caps would present an issue as such.

Above all, learning is the best reward.

Dang, sweet job! Would not have guessed that oversized caps would present an issue as such.

Above all, learning is the best reward.

When I went to pick it up the technician, with 40 yrs experience, told me that basically the 4 x 220uf caps on the board were the frequency limiters of the audio signal and that I should not mess with the values there. I had increased them to 330uf and I had .1uf Russian PIOS across them on the back side of the board when the purpose of C1,3,11,13 is to bypass the audio signal so not only what I was doing was redundant but i was significantly altering the signal.

The best reward is the learning and the reason I did this thread as a newbie was in the hopes that others would learn from my experience of trying to figure things out for the first time. I still wish I could take a class but there is nothing that teaches you more than doing. This is still a really good pre with a different sound that hopefully I can put to use in another part of the house one day as my collection grows - or it just might be my son's first preamp.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Nice, sounds like you're on the way to getting hooked on tube gear! Now you can try what I did and get a tube amp and use that 17 for preamp duties. My bet will be that setup will compare to the one you're running now. My 17 sounds OK with SS gear but very good with tube amps. I switch to tube pre & DIY SS phono preamp for LPs -> tube amp. I like the 17 with tuner and CDs but not so much for LPs. When I rebuilt my 17's I stuck to spec wherever possible. +1 on the resistor comparo, there's no substitute for good quality resistors. I replaced ALL of the stock ones on my 17 with Dale metal film and sprinkled in a few carbon films here and there with good results. Thats a lot of work, and a good learning experience.

When recapping your power amp you can go larger uF (be conservative) for the PSU caps without the worry and experience that you had with the preamp. Stick to 15% or less over spec in the PSU and stick with the design on the rest of the circuit(s). You can always up the voltage to get the uF readily available.

Oh & the warning... tubes can be addictive.

Cheers,
Bob

Nice, sounds like you're on the way to getting hooked on tube gear! Now you can try what I did and get a tube amp and use that 17 for preamp duties. My bet will be that setup will compare to the one you're running now. My 17 sounds OK with SS gear but very good with tube amps. I switch to tube pre & DIY SS phono preamp for LPs -> tube amp. I like the 17 with tuner and CDs but not so much for LPs. When I rebuilt my 17's I stuck to spec wherever possible. +1 on the resistor comparo, there's no substitute for good quality resistors. I replaced ALL of the stock ones on my 17 with Dale metal film and sprinkled in a few carbon films here and there with good results. Thats a lot of work, and a good learning experience.

When recapping your power amp you can go larger uF (be conservative) for the PSU caps without the worry and experience that you had with the preamp. Stick to 15% or less over spec in the PSU and stick with the design on the rest of the circuit(s). You can always up the voltage to get the uF readily available.

Oh & the warning... tubes can be addictive.

Cheers,
Bob

Hey Bob, God advice on trying to pair the 17 with a tube amp. Oddly enough it didn't really occur to me but I have seen it many times where the best preamp/amp combinations are split SS & Tube pairs. What tube amp do you have with yours?

Also, I am currently looking for a phono stage kit. I may end up getting either Peter Daniels to build me one or build his modified VSPS circuit myself or I may go with a Peter McAlister Tube Phono.

I have already moved though a lot of my Citation 19 and posted the mods here. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=410842 I did increase the capacitance in the power bank from 10K cans to 15K cans, although I was advised I could go as high as 22k. Amplifiers are a lot scarier to work on with this kind of voltage. Therefore I tried to be a bit more conservative and even went back to correct errors that I made in judgement as they became apparent to me. The last thing I want is for my amp to blow up. I will start posting on the resistors soon.

Hey Bob, God advice on trying to pair the 17 with a tube amp. Oddly enough it didn't really occur to me but I have seen it many times where the best preamp/amp combinations are split SS & Tube pairs. What tube amp do you have with yours?

Also, I am currently looking for a phono stage kit. I may end up getting either Peter Daniels to build me one or build his modified VSPS circuit myself or I may go with a Peter McAlister Tube Phono.

I have already moved though a lot of my Citation 19 and posted the mods here. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=410842 I did increase the capacitance in the power bank from 10K cans to 15K cans, although I was advised I could go as high as 22k. Amplifiers are a lot scarier to work on with this kind of voltage. Therefore I tried to be a bit more conservative and even went back to correct errors that I made in judgement as they became apparent to me. The last thing I want is for my amp to blow up. I will start posting on the resistors soon.

I've built a few phono preamps. You could go over the Rod Elliott's ESP site and build his P05 power supply and P06 phono preamp. I like that build and it sounds mighty fine and directions are hard to beat.

On the caps - the uF is the amount of storage and the Voltage is where you need to be careful safety wise. Those big 100v cans have a lot of storage but the voltage is only 100v, no slouch but with tube amps they go up to over 400v and usually higher but the uF is lower. A 330uF 450V cap (common in a tube amp PSU) will get you good. First time building with tubes I did what I usually do with caps in SS amps and discharged the 450v cap with a screw driver....oops. I started to pay closer attention VERY fast. My screw driver flew across the room with a vary loud BANG. SS amps pretty much are in the 80v or so range on the B+ rails so that's not really death deifying but it will bite you. A 450v cap is a whole different league all together.

The tube amp I use in my shop is a one off custom made deal a local guy built for me. Kt88 power with 6SN7 drivers. I wanted a tube amp that would drive my pair of Infinity QLS-III speakers (dip down to 1 ohm). It's the real deal. Built by Jim Nichols (JWN Amplifiers). With tube amps its all about the power supply.

Linkey:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vST_90d3U-TSieQCw&sig2=T_K5X8U6e5miQyKQxo4LHQ

look for "Stereo KT88 / EL34 power amplifier"

I have a tube preamp I use with the ESP phono pre for LP listening. The ESP phono pre is very good and easy to build. You will learn a lot about power supplies and it's very inexpensive. I built mine with a separate power supply box and umbilical cable to the phono box. The enclosures cost me the most. Total cost was probably $120 for everything. Now I have a PSU and I can build other phono preamps and all I will need to do is get another box. Most SS phono preamps will run fine with 15v which is what the psu puts out. I digress...

I'd not relegate that 17 to backup duties, just go get yourself a good USA made tube power amp. Bartertown is a GREAT place to shop.
I like the versatility of the Citation 17. I've probably got a better preamp somewhere on my shelf but I gotta say this one by far has gotten the most play. I like to swap around seasonally, but once I got to this after re-build, it's a keeper. I even re-built a 17S and used it for a while but I kept going back ...the 17 now firmly planted on my rack. I've throne a lot of different gear at it in hopes I would just sell it and move on but not the case.

Cheers,
Bob

Hello, I have a HK 17 and a component of the output amplifier card is hs

Q4 27 722 831 is what to replace it?

thank you

Hello, I have a HK 17 and a component of the output amplifier card is hs

Q4 27 722 831 is what to replace it?

thank you

I have that part number at home. If Bo doesn't answer you by then I'll have to get back to you later. I think its a TO-92 type but will verify when I get home from work.

Back
Top Bottom