Harman/Kardon HK 505 Amp

arrow 68

Does anybody have the specs for this unit? I has quite a bit of power. Does anybody know how many Watts Per Channel? I asked a question about it in the equipment reviews, and opinion section, but did not get a response. -Mark-

h/k 503 Integrated Amplifier

The Orion Bluebook only shows information for the h/k 503 Integrated Amplifer. The h/k 505 was the next model above the h/k 503.

From the Orion Bluebook:

HK 503
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1976 - 1980

Additional Information:
Power: 40

Retail
MSRP: $279.00
USED: $39.00

Wholesale
Mint: $23.00
Average: $13.00

eThink, the 505 was above the 503, and was the top integrated in the '78-80 period. It was rated at 60 watts per, just like its corrsponding receiver, the 670.

There's more about it over on AA, and if you search deep enough, you'll find that even Joe Rosen recommended it. Supposedly it sounded better than the lower line amps.

Last edited:
h/k 505 Integrated Amplifier

Jay, Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about this dual-power design, integrated amp from the late 1970s. :sigh: Probably because I was not a fan of the "industrial look" of the h/k gear of this period.

Here is the link to the thread on the h/k 505 from Vintage Asylum (timeframe 2001)

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=vintage&n=1476&highlight=citation+power&r=&session=

I have also attached a picture of this amp. Note the dual LED lights on the power button to verify the operation of the dual power amps.

Attachments

• hk 505_21.jpg
    hk 505_21.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 214
Well I guess I’m going to join in to the conversation here since I just picked up a Harmon Kardon HK 505 this morning . Did not hear it at all but I’m hoping it’s going to work for driving my Infinity RSII speakers ! Up till now I’ve been using a Hafler 500 that has truly impressed me ..... ( truthfully now I have to say that anything that let me listen to those Infinity RSII speakers for the first time without clipping would have been highly appreciated) Moving forward I hope tonight nets me some results that aren’t to sad. Buying without hearing is not smart usually but I’ve done quite well doing so on other fronts this summer so I hope my reads on whether or not to buy from the people selling things continues ! I’ll let you know after I deoxit the unit and clean out any dust that is under the hood.

Well I plugged her in and except the usual poor connection from dirty controls all things seem to work just fine . A big drop off from the Hafler but I see that I can use the HK 505 along with the Hafler and after cleaning and getting it to operate without issues I’d love to hear exactly how I should connect it all together ! Being able to connect to my video world for some Home Theatre situation sounds like a huge step that I’d like to do with the Hafler in play ! Just the HK 505 will definitely do the move forward but I assuredly do not want to leave the Hafler 500 out of the game ! Thanks to all for years of helping me along the glorious path of audio nirvana at my world level !

Sounds like you should keep the Hafler in there for the RSII's. The HK could power some HT speakers depending what you're using as a pre-amp(a AVR receiver with pre-outs?). There are many ways of getting started in a Multi-channel system. Matching the surround speakers to the RSII's could be a problem.

Hello. I can buy the harman kardon 930 (wood case) or a hk 670 (60 wats), but I'm curious about which one sounds better. I know the hk670 is similar to hk505, but the phono handset is the same. I read hk505 good things.
Any advice is welcome. It would be interesting to think of someone who owns both.
I like both of them. The Hk930 is more expensive for $ 50 than hk670. Thank you.

Hello. I can buy the harman kardon 930 (wood case) or a hk 670 (60 wats), but I'm curious about which one sounds better. I know the hk670 is similar to hk505, but the phono handset is the same. I read hk505 good things.
Any advice is welcome. It would be interesting to think of someone who owns both.
I like both of them. The Hk930 is more expensive for $ 50 than hk670. Thank you.

For what it's worth, I once owned an H/K 730 in excellent condition, and thought the phono performance was not very good. I own an H'K 505 and think the phono is excellent. I expect the 930 would not be any better than the 730.

Thank you, Tom. I understand you're for hk670. I am afraid that the phono part of the 670 will not be similar to the hk505. On another thread I read that one guy said that it is possible that the phono will differ in 505 and receiver 670.
I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

For what it's worth, I once owned an H/K 730 in excellent condition, and thought the phono performance was not very good.

My HK 730 would often blow a fuse so looking under the hood of I was surprised by how small the phono amp section I wouldn't say it sounded bad but average for that era. But the amp section was pretty decent. The HK 730 was real eye candy. The HK 505 does have that 'solid as a rock' look. All of HK amp sections seemed to put out a lot of current so even with the lower wattage they could drive many of the power hunger AR speakers. At Hifiengine you can download both the owner and service manuals.
Michael

Thank you, Tom. I understand you're for hk670. I am afraid that the phono part of the 670 will not be similar to the hk505. On another thread I read that one guy said that it is possible that the phono will differ in 505 and receiver 670.
I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

I did own an H/K 560 for awhile, the little brother to the 670. I don't think its phono performance was as good as the 505 I own now. I cannot say for sure, but I think you might be right - maybe the phono on the 670 is not the same at the 505, and maybe not as good.

Where are you located, Lucian? Welcome to Audiokarma!!

Thank you, Tom. I'm from Romania and here's harder to find information about vintage appliances. But on audiokarma.org I always found good advice. Thank you to everyone.
As for the phono part of the hk560 weaker than that of 505 it may be normal as it is a lower model. I would be curious to say what they say, both 505 and 670. Maybe we're lucky enough to get a colleague. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom