Harman Kardon HK-505 is DOA, repair or return?

ChicagoTom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just got an HK-505 off that auction site (supposedly "works great"), and it arrived DOA. The power light goes off, but I get no sound whatsoever from any input, either via headphones or speakers.

The seller plans to file a "damaged in shipping" claim, in which case he would give me a full refund and let me keep the broken amp. Or, I can return it at his expense for a full refund. To be able to decide what to do next, I thought I'd call upon the wisdom of the AK crowd.

My research finds a lot of praise for the sound of the HK-505, but also warnings of poor quality control. Knowing that, how likely is it that the repair might be a cheap and simple one? For example, is it easy to find poor soldering that might have come undone in shipping? Or might it likely be something far more expensive to fix, in which case I may decide to return it.

Last edited:
If you get your refund, and get to keep the HK it might be worth it to try to fix it. It might just be a bad solder joint. Don't know till you check. We know how well some things are shipped.

I would take off the top and look to see if maybe any fuses didn't get jarred or knocked out during shipping and of course anything that looks obvious or out of the ordinary.

Also not being familiar with this unit, does it have, use, or need preamp jumpers?

Also not being familiar with this unit, does it have, use, or need preamp jumpers?

I'm smacking my forehead! Yep, the jumper cables are missing!! The seller said it was in "good working order." I guess he didn't try it out before selling it - probably flipped it. Well he'll be happy, and I'm glad I now have a working amp.

THANK YOU cademan!!

Interesting. How did he listen to it and confirm it works? Those are special HK jumpers and he should have to supply you with something to replace them. Go for a set of the AQ jumpers on him!!

Hook it up to your best Source and best speakers and tell us how it sounds.

After I give it a god DeOxit, I'll try to do that. First impression: bloated bass, just like the HK 670 I once owned. Maybe a good cleaning will improve the sound. Cap could be tired though.

Interesting. How did he listen to it and confirm it works? Those are special HK jumpers and he should have to supply you with something to replace them. Go for a set of the AQ jumpers on him!!

Yeah, I thought the same thing!! I did have some jumpers I got off eBay for $12, he's going to reimburse me for them at least.

Back
Top Bottom