Has anybody given up on lossless/HDMI in favor of a flagship AVR from the past?

Roboturner91

I ask this because there's an RX-V1 for sale in my area for under $200, and well.....

I like the Denon in my current HT setup but there are times when I've got it at something like -5 dB and it starts to sound boomy and overworked. So obviously more power would be welcome here. My display only does 1080i so I don't really care about the limitations of component video.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in the lossless audio formats, but with more power, would I miss it as much? I don't know. Maybe somebody else has done the A/B and has a take on it.

Last edited:
Can't help you with your question but a RXV1 is a very nice sounding units.Under $200 is well worth it.

i have a new hdmi unit in the bedroom, i bought on a whim because it was on sale, it's performed well, but not heavily used. my main rig has a rx-v1400 yamaha which predates hdmi. it has svhs, and two component video inputs that support 720p. at least the menus do 720p...i don't recall if it can pass 1080...i just send the optical sound output from the TV to it, and use the TV inputs to connect my toys.

anyway, the point is, it's a beast, and owes me nothing. i would get that rxv1.

Just realized my BR player can output HDMI video and optical digital audio at the same time so I don't even have to deal with the clunky component video cable, I can just bypass the AVR and run it straight to the TV. I guess that's the upside of having a early-generation BR player, heh.

I'm going to get the RX-V1 tomorrow. I may need a dolly or something, the guy says it weighs around 65 pounds and he can't help me carry it out. :eek:

Curious to hear what you think, let us know how it compares to the Denon. I have two RX-V1 for 2 channel use, they are great units and should definitely be jumped on for under $200. For HT I have not even the V1, I prefer the convenience of HDMI for getting all of the components to turn on and off together. My RXA-1020 does a very good job with both sound and picture.

I ask this because there's an RX-V1 for sale in my area for under $200, and well.....

I like the Denon in my current HT setup but there are times when I've got it at something like -5 dB and it starts to sound boomy and overworked. So obviously more power would be welcome here. My display only does 1080i so I don't really care about the limitations of component video.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in the lossless audio formats, but with more power, would I miss it as much? I don't know. Maybe somebody else has done the A/B and has a take on it.

Bear in mind (presuming both have been calibrated) that at any given setting such as your example of -5dB, any other HT receiver should produce the same volume in your system.

Granted if the current unit is a real weakling or not properly calibrated either could be part of the problem.

To me, boomy sounds more like a settings/levels issue rather than lack of power. Lack of power/oomph more often, at least IME, makes for thin and strident sound.

Yep I sure have, I have gone through most of the Totl receivers from 01-08 and am currently using an Onkyo TX-nr1000, I still get all the lossless decoding though because I use RCA's to the multichannel input and that enables me to get all the great lossless sound output from my oppo udp 203 and use the great amps in my Onkyo.

Also to note I do run hdmi from the oppo straight in to my Samsung 4k TV.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
In hindsight, as Audiofreak mentioned, one does not have to give up lossless just because of no HDMI. Like he, I used lossless surround for years via mch analog connections before I got HDMI.

I once got into a conversation with those at ATI when i was looking to get back into HT and was looking at their flag ship touch face surround processor. They told me that HDMI is as much of a scam as it is a 'technological improvement'. Apparently those that use HDMI have to pay some sort of a royalty to someone regarding the HDMI and there is really no benefit whatsoever over the old cables. Just "new technology". Sure the newer receivers/processors might offer more of this "smart" garbage on them however I doubt the sound from a modern $KK Denon would be noticeably different from the old flagship AVR5803....
True or not, I have no idea but personally I'm not into all that stuff but would be more than happy with an AVR5803 or even the old Sherwood-Newcastle P965/A965..LOL
My understanding is HDMI was primarily to eliminate pirating which like most of these schemes was cracked fairly quickly by the professional pirates and there already existed digital delivery systems. Notwithstanding I prefer HDMI over analog inputs because it allows use of room correction systems.

If you look in my sig line, you will see my HT setup which in electronic years is from "the before times." I wouldn't change this setup. The video is taken care of by an OTA Tivo and a blu-ray Samsung player. Both the Tivo and the Samsung are plugged into an HDMI switcher that has two HDMI outputs (so I can use the TV or Projector without swapping cables) and a separate optical output that goes to the B&K/Outlaw combo. The sound of the B&K Reference 50 is just too good to give up on!

If you have a BluRay player with analog outs and multi channel ins on your receiver you lose nothing.I run the front pre outs to my SAE preamp.

The issue I've run into with that is that none of my Blu Ray players decode ALL of the different HD formats. I guess I need to step up to a more expensive model BDP.

Most if not all of the oppos have analog outputs and since the new line has been out there older players have dropped drastically in price, which still decode the latest formats.

Audiofreak71

Most if not all of the oppos have analog outputs and since the new line has been out there older players have dropped drastically in price, which still decode the latest formats.

Audiofreak71
Well there you go. And top of the line non HDMI recievers with pre-outs are dirt cheap, making it a perfect way to "hometheaterize" your existing two channel rig. Just send the front channel L+R pre-outs to a high level input of your existing two channel preamp's (or receiver's) AUX IN's and you have the best of both worlds. The only "trick" is that you have to keep the volume of your preamp (or receiver) at a preset level (that you determine when you first level balance the fronts and the mains) when going multichannel.

Strictly run satellite tuner, dvd and yes, still own a VHS, to the tv and audio to the preamp/amps.
Never cared for integrating video and audio source switching...
Seperate but Equal. Plessy v. Ferguson. 1896

Back
Top Bottom