Have you heard a Sonic Boom?

Have you heard a Sonic Boom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was a toddler in the thick of the Cold War. I grew up in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Sonic booms were regular and frequent. I'm not sure where the jets were flying out of. They scared the heck out of me. When I said my prayers at bedtime I would pray for them to not occur.

Spent my teenage years near WPAFB, Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. Heard them quite often,.

I was a toddler in the thick of the Cold War. I grew up in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Sonic booms were regular and frequent. I'm not sure where the jets were flying out of. They scared the heck out of me. When I said my prayers at bedtime I would pray for them to not occur.

I remember being pissed when I learned that they had been "outlawed". They had such a Primal sound. I seem to remember hearing them a few times after the cessation, some pilot named "Maverick".

I remember being pissed when I learned that they had been "outlawed". They had such a Primal sound. I seem to remember hearing them a few times after the cessation, some pilot named "Maverick".
I was two or three at the time. I would like to hear them again now.

My dad was in the Air Force. I've seen SR-71s take off.

I've also seen it over the San Francisco Bay during Fleet Week. Not my photo.

1547949431_6e74ad10ab.jpg

Sion (Switzerland) military airfield is not far from home, they fly F/A-18s and we get a sonic boom a couple of times a year.
A lot more bothering is the "normal" military jet sound, take-offs and flying around, pretty loud and too often....can't wait until the army is leaving this particular airfield at the end of the year.

I don't know exactly when the ban took effect, I live a couple hours drive from WPAFB in Dayton, OH and we heard them fairly regularly when I was a child in the early 90's.

I don't know exactly when the ban took effect, I live a couple hours drive from WPAFB in Dayton, OH and we heard them fairly regularly when I was a child in the early 90's.

I believe that the "ban" was a "loose" one based on population density. I became aware of them in the late sixties living in Miami, FL which is pretty close to Homstead AFB (which may have been closed down 10-15 years ago). I'm jealous that your area kept shattering glass that recently

My dad was in the Air Force. I've seen SR-71s take off.

I've also seen it over the San Francisco Bay during Fleet Week. Not my photo.

1547949431_6e74ad10ab.jpg

Man, some are just blessed, I've never even seen one at an air show. Although I think that were "classified". Amazing technology which came out of the Fifties!!!

I attended an air show at NAS Miramar at the height of the Top Gun movie era. Heard a low level F-14 pass going supersonic. Broke a bunch of windows which meant that was the last time they were allowed to do that. There was an F-4 doing a figure eight over the in-field. Great times.

The first Space Shuttle missions landed at Edwards AFB and glided over So Cal. Heard two distinct sonic booms.

... which is pretty close to Homstead AFB (which may have been closed down 10-15 years ago)...
It ceased to be an Air Force Base after Hurricane Andrew in '92. However it was re-commissioned as an Air Reserve Base and continues to function in that capacity.

In the seventies international flights would come booming in and circle over San Jose international on the way in. You'd hear'em a couple times a week. Last on I heard was in Shanghai a couple years back....

Yes I used to hear them regularly just about every day in the 60s and 70s as a kid. They were very loud and would shake the house. Like an M-80 going off (except you knew these were more powerful). The sonic booms we heard were primarily from F4 Phantom fighter jets. Training, exercises during the Vietnam War period. I think we stopped hearing them in the late 70s/early 80s.

It's kind of funny because this topic just came up in a discussion I had with some people a few days ago. Most people under 50 years old have never heard a sonic boom.

Back
Top Bottom