Have you heard a Sonic Boom?

Have you heard a Sonic Boom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sort of a common occurrence here in Coventry, we just had two Navy jets fly over the house yesterday and one of them opened the throttles heading back toward Hartford

Heard the fighter jets kick in afterburners and break the sound barrier here over NE Kansas City when President George W. Bush visited the area about 3 months after 9-11. They flew a circle over him the whole time he was out of the car. Also live about 60 air miles from Whiteman Air Force Base. They fly over a couple of times a day, occasionally they fire them up, and make a boom.

Use to hear sonic booms frequently back in the seventies but not really since unless you count rifle shooting then ive heard it a lot.

Used to hear them all time when the shuttle was flying here on the space coast.
Still hear very deep, intense rumbling every time they launch something down at the cape,which they do amazingly often (wonder who is paying for all that??). Often shakes the windows. We're 65 miles away.

I was fishing up at Dog lake at white pass in Washington state one afternoon. It was dead silent and I was trolling for brookies in this alpine lake. I saw a shadow whip by and a large black B1 bomber plane bank in the distance and then KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seemed like the whole lake jumped up....I yelled "HOLY SH!%"
and freaked for a few seconds not know what just happened...
Yes, I have heard a sonic boom..

On another note, didnt bother the fish at all.. the bite was still on!!

I was fishing up at Dog lake at white pass in Washington state one afternoon. It was dead silent and I was trolling for brookies in this alpine lake. I saw a shadow whip by and a large black B1 bomber plane bank in the distance and then KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seemed like the whole lake jumped up....I yelled "HOLY SH!%"
and freaked for a few seconds not know what just happened...
Yes, I have heard a sonic boom..

On another note, didnt bother the fish at all.. the bite was still on!!

Damn! I've only seen one bomber actually in the air, a B-52 over Vermont in '85. That was a menacing sight, what you saw had to have been cooooool!

I went to the air show at the Alameda Naval Air Station in 56 and the 102's had just come out. As I was leaving I cut across a golf course and was standing under a big tree when a 102 did a flyby at 150' and the sonic boom nearly defoliated the tree I was standing under. Needless to say I almost crapped my paints. I was 12 then.

Many times. In the late 50s my family lived near Edwards AFB and we heard sonic booms daily. Didn't bother me but our dog never got used to them.

I heard the Shuttle`s double sonic boom every time it approached KSC to land.
First time, I was inside, and was startled, and didn`t know what it was, and thought a tree or a big branch from a tree fell on my roof !! :oops:
I ran outside and looked all around my roof, but no damage, so then thought maybe it`s the Shuttle coming back to KSC.
Went back inside and aimed my 12 ft. dish to the NASA channel, and sure enough the Shuttle was just landing at KSC.

I also remember in sometime in 1979 or 80 coming back to my apartment while living in heavily populated South Miami, after getting off of mixing sound for a local band at around 3:30 AM, and hearing a couple of military jet`s(probably F15s out of Homestead AFB, about 20 miles South of where I lived in South Miami) scream towards me and go full afterburner straight up almost directly above me !!

I guess they were needing to get to high altitude very quickly for an intercept of something(maybe a Soviet Badger out of 90 mile away Cuba straying too close to the South East Coast of the US ?!?! :dunno:

All I know, is as I stood outside my car, watching those two jets climb vertical until they disappeared into a medium altitude ceiling cloud cover, I remember hearing their afterburner "horse power" rumble for quite some time, and thought, well maybe WW III is about to start !?!? :idea:

So I thought, Oh well, nothing my 23 ~ 4 yr. old ass can do about it, so I went inside and rolled one up and started enjoying winding myself down from the Gig. :smoke:
Never experienced observing any aircraft flight like that before, or after..

When I lived in England (Cornwall) many years ago, sonic booms were rather regular, everytime the Concorde jet planes traveled across the Atlantic Ocean. With the demise of this service the booms stopped.

My father was a pilot instructor in the 60's at Cannon AFB outside Clovis, NM.

So, we got to hear an occasional sonic boom. There was an air show where spectators got to watch live ordnance drops and strafing runs. One pass was supersonic with the *boom*. Pretty cool for a 10 yr old to watch!

All the time, when I was a kid. We lived about 50 miles south of Ohare at the time, and about the same distance north of Chanute AFB.

Last edited:
It's been 40 years at least since I heard one.

I can remember hearing them in the late 60s and early 70s. I lived in southern Illinois, and then in central Kansas. Heard them in both locales.

50 years ago this month, I got in the way of a sonic boom from an F4 Phantom at nearly mach 2, <30 feet over my head. Witnesses say I flipped end over end about 4 times before I came down and destroyed every ligament in my right knee. One side of my body was a single huge bruise and I peed blood for 3 weeks. I still can't walk right (it's getting much worse).

50 years ago this month, I got in the way of a sonic boom from an F4 Phantom at nearly mach 2, <30 feet over my head. Witnesses say I flipped end over end about 4 times before I came down and destroyed every ligament in my right knee. One side of my body was a single huge bruise and I peed blood for 3 weeks. I still can't walk right (it's getting much worse).

Hmm, that would have been a tad too close for my taste. It is a pity, you got injured, but it surely must have been better than what even the best subwoofer can produce...lol

From the speed of a plane, a few times.
From the speed of a propeller tip, many many many times.
From the speed of a bullet, many many many times.

Quite an old thread!

Back
Top Bottom