Have you NOT seen the movie Titanic ?

Good for you.

I watched it one time, then only to see the CGI the rest of the movie I was looking at my watch muttering how much longer it had to go. Talk about an overrated movie.

Than there was Avatar, or, Dances With Blue Aliens.

Saw the old one last night on TCM..with Kenneth Moore..really focused on radio operations and what might have been if they'd paid attention.

Saw the old one last night on TCM..with Kenneth Moore..really focused on radio operations and what might have been if they'd paid attention.

At the time there was no clear procedures for wireless communications. The Marconi Boys on the Titanic spent their time sending telegrams for the 1st Class passengers, telegrams that were on the order of “Isn’t this great I am still in the middle of the Atlantic” messages. There was no mandatory radio watch standing by shore installations, and ships at sea that were equipped with Marconi’s were in the same position. When passing ships tried to warn the Titanic about icebergs the Marconi’s were too busy sending those “isn’t this the coolest thing” telegrams. The Marconi transmitter on the Titanic was not particularly powerful either. Naval vessels of the time had high powered rotary transmitter of many KW’s.

Being a hamradio operator this aspect of the Titanic shipwreck is of great interest. It was a hamradio operator on shore that first reported the disaster, and at first he was not believed.

Here is a recreation of the Marconi room on the Titanic.
C4B69DAC-EA6B-4112-9D0B-54A58CDACEE2.jpeg

Here is an actual Marconi sparkgap induction transmitter like the one Titanic was equipped with. .
EFE0B02F-3F43-4DF0-9E2A-5024AF1F1108.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw it on the small screen (and small screens were a lot smaller back then). I guess it may have been more impressive on a really big screen. I do remember people that liked it commenting on how amazing it all looked so I think the bigger screen may have done more with the immensity of everything. I worked with a guy that saw it 3 times in the theater and I would have been just fine missing it. It wasn't the worst movie I've seen but I just never got into the characters.

I'll have to side with George and Jerry's take on it (I should have also listened to Elaine about the English Patient)

Last edited:
I'm not saying anything against the movie, or the people that liked the movie.

In the real world, everyone I know has seen it and they find it odd that I have not.

I've seen it; I have a wife & daughter.

That's A Night to Remember, based on the Walter Lord book. The book and the film both strived for accuracy.

A young David McCallum plays one of the radio operators. Several decades later, he narrated a Titanic documentary produced by the A&E Network.

Back
Top Bottom